Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Best way to get rid of donor car?

Search this Thread

Old 03-17-06, 07:16 PM
Inabj2
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Best way to get rid of donor car?

I have a current 240sx resucitation project in the works... I just rented a behemoth engine hoist. Those industrial sized 12 ton hoists that stand about 6 feet tall on rest position... and the motor got out on sheer intimidation alone.... actually be easier if I could find a smaller hoist for the next swap out thats coming very soon.

Now that was the wrecked chassis now I need to know whats the best way to junk a car? And whats involved in those steps? Do I just drop it a junkyard and give them my title? Is there a fee to pay for that? in addition to the towing? How does that work?
Old 03-17-06, 07:25 PM
LeXuSrAcIn
Lexus Test Driver

You probably could donate it for tax purposes.

Off topic... your best ET was 16.6? How many miles do you have? And do you have exhaust?
Old 03-17-06, 07:43 PM
Inabj2
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by LeXuSrAcIn
You probably could donate it for tax purposes.

Off topic... your best ET was 16.6? How many miles do you have? And do you have exhaust?

Automatic car.

you can't launch the auto SC300 unless you N-bomb it.. no I will not do that! Brake standing it on stock converter does almost noting. Best 60' was high 2.6 almost 2.7. Im almost betting ill lose a second when its this car's turn to go manual. No I don't have exhaust. Just stuff listed. Miles well about 114,500 now.. almost time for another oil change. Also I feel that I ran the car way too soon after the BFI, i was running very inconsistently and it would sludge if i floored on the throttle. it feels better now then when I last ran it. I should probably re run it but not sure if its worth to go just for another tenth or so.. kinda busy with the 240sx right now...

Back on topic.. anyone else suggestions on disposing this car quickly? I really want to avoid paying any type of fees, especially since I know junkyard can probably sell some stuff out of it like doors and etc for a hefty fee.

Last edited by Inabj2; 03-17-06 at 07:46 PM.
Old 03-17-06, 07:51 PM
LeXuSrAcIn
Lexus Test Driver

Sorry to get off topic again... Only reason I was asking is because I have a 95 SC3 auto too. Mine has 249k miles and I ran a 16.2 in 95 degree weather and w/o my tune up. I have a couple more mods than you though. I thought my time was incredibly slow but I guess its nice to know I'm not the only 16 sec modded SC.
Old 03-17-06, 07:55 PM
Inabj2
Lexus Champion

Any na mods that you do to the SC300 will be eaten up by that slow tranny (unless you do something that significantly increases torque from 2,000 to 4,000 rpms). You will gain respectable amounts of top end. As my best trap speeds improved by 2 mph.. yet... i only gain a tenth and half. Its due to the very long gears, low stall speed and no low end grunt of the car.

Its a different story when youre able to keep the car in its powerband at all times, then you notice a bigger difference then.

Im pretty confident this converted to manual 240sx will best my own lexus in the ET, but yet trap anywhere from 4 to 5 mph slower then my lexus will.. but that is off course if I find an acceptable way to dispose of the donor shell!
Old 03-17-06, 08:00 PM
LeXuSrAcIn
Lexus Test Driver

You should get a full catback and you should be able to hit 16.0 easily with such a low mileage car. Lol its sad when you call a 115k mile car low mileage. Lexus has spoiled us. Anyways our cars are supposed to do 15.7 stock but I dont see that happening with any engine over 90k miles.

Sorry to get off topic again.

Anyways like I said, look into donating the car and getting tax money.
Old 03-17-06, 09:56 PM
Inabj2
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by LeXuSrAcIn
You should get a full catback and you should be able to hit 16.0 easily with such a low mileage car. Lol its sad when you call a 115k mile car low mileage. Lexus has spoiled us. Anyways our cars are supposed to do 15.7 stock but I dont see that happening with any engine over 90k miles.

Sorry to get off topic again.

Anyways like I said, look into donating the car and getting tax money.
I dont think it has anythign to do with mileage... honestly either the prototype cars had a higher stall speed or the drivers in the tested magazines were not afraid to trash the trannies.

Option C magazine times are corrected to perfect atmospheric conditions....

Old 03-17-06, 11:43 PM
Jewcano
No Sir, I Don't Like It

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

Well i think best way to get rid of a donor car is to give it to me .....>J/K, the tax return thing woud be your best bet though.
Old 03-18-06, 12:09 AM
Stage3
Lexus Fanatic

Either donate the car or sell the good parts left on the car. Good luck with the project!
Old 03-18-06, 01:37 AM
tuddy
Negative Nancy

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

good luck....

i would blow it up