Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Honda disses Nascar!!

Search this Thread

Old 03-15-06, 07:28 PM
LexFather

Default Honda disses Nascar!!

"Having not been directly involved with NASCAR, I think it's probably unfair for us to say that their technology is dumbed-down or at a lower level, but it's clearly a different kind of technology."

http://www.grandprix.com/ns/ns16378.html

Old 03-15-06, 07:52 PM
LexLaw
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

LMAO, easily quote of the month.
Old 03-15-06, 08:00 PM
SteVTEC
Lexus Test Driver

Old 03-15-06, 08:15 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup
Senior Moderator

Received 190 Likes on 148 Posts

i don't necessarily think that nascar means lower level tech, it's just different. i pay them respect, though personally i don't find nascar fun when you are just going in circle and only left turns. i like tracks more, probably that's what honda was trying to say
Old 03-15-06, 08:56 PM
Indio
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Nascar purposely limits it's technology to a 358 cubic inch pushrod V8 to control costs, if they allowed some the tech that F1 employs a lot of teams and sponsors would be priced out of the series.
Old 03-16-06, 09:02 AM
4TehNguyen
Lexus Fanatic

Received 51 Likes on 46 Posts

Originally Posted by Indio
Nascar purposely limits it's technology to a 358 cubic inch pushrod V8 to control costs, if they allowed some the tech that F1 employs a lot of teams and sponsors would be priced out of the series.
thats why i dont like nascar theres zero showcase of technology, its just a 100% marketing fest with billboards driving around in circles, theres no laboratory to test new tech like there is in F1, Le Mans, etc

when the tundra beat the crap out of everyone in the nascar truck races (had better aerodynamics, suspension etc), all they did was cry and cry saying it was unfair, hello automotive racing is a technology driven and dependant sport and they cry when someone has better tech?
Old 03-16-06, 09:17 AM
Lvangundy

Although I agree, Nascar is somewhat boring.. I think that's only a surface evaluation.

The biggest part of Nascar it seems is the pit crew..it's all about optimum efficiency and time reduction. But I don't think TV really focuses on that.

Originally Posted by rominl
i don't necessarily think that nascar means lower level tech, it's just different. i pay them respect, though personally i don't find nascar fun when you are just going in circle and only left turns. i like tracks more, probably that's what honda was trying to say

Old 03-16-06, 09:30 AM
SteVTEC
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by 4TehNguyen
thats why i dont like nascar theres zero showcase of technology, its just a 100% marketing fest with billboards driving around in circles, theres no laboratory to test new tech like there is in F1, Le Mans, etc
NASCAR has never been about showcasing the latest and greatest newest bestest technologies and never has been. Yes, they stick with 358 cid pushrod V8 engines, carbureators, no traction control, no electronic junk, and no BS. It's "KISS" (Keep It Simple, Stupid) racing at its finest. Like Indio mentioned, it keeps costs down, and lowers the price of entry for teams tremendously.

I don't follow racing all that much, but F1 has been struggling lately, costs are out of control, sponsorship is difficult, and the racing itself I find far more boring to watch than NASCAR due to the fact that there's ZERO PASSING. The past few years has been nothing but a Ferrari demonstration, which is part of why they went down to 2.4L V8s instead of 3.0L V10s. They're hoping that less power will make the races a bit more competitive and more fun to watch, which will bring in more viewers, and increase sponsorship. I think prohibitive costs for teams was also behind the Indy and IRL split, with the IRL focusing on lower costs which make it easier for teams to gain entry into the sport.

Yes, in the end NASCAR is relatively "low tech" but that's the point. high-tech = high costs which can easily spiral out of control. When I was laughing above, it was really more about the nice showing of Honda's arrogant snobbery than it was about NASCAR's low-techness.
Old 03-16-06, 09:31 AM
rominl
exclusive matchup
Senior Moderator

Originally Posted by Lvangundy
Although I agree, Nascar is somewhat boring.. I think that's only a surface evaluation.

The biggest part of Nascar it seems is the pit crew..it's all about optimum efficiency and time reduction. But I don't think TV really focuses on that.
well not like that's anything different in track race (f1 or jtgc), they time those as well and every 100 of a second counts
Old 03-16-06, 10:01 AM
Lvangundy

Good point - I agree though, F1 / JGTC is much more entertaining than NASCAR..( )

Originally Posted by rominl
well not like that's anything different in track race (f1 or jtgc), they time those as well and every 100 of a second counts

Old 03-16-06, 01:17 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup
Senior Moderator

Originally Posted by Lvangundy
Good point - I agree though, F1 / JGTC is much more entertaining than NASCAR..( )
i still remember that commercial with the nascar driver (don't know name, i don't pay attention to nascar) teaching a kid how to drive, and just keep on making left turns. when asked, he said "why do you want to make a right?"

hahaha that's so funny
Old 03-16-06, 02:33 PM
SoCalSC4
Lexus Champion

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts

Rookie Nascar driver: "sir, I've never driven this track before. Any advice?"

Veteran Nascar driver; "well son, yuh go 'rill fast down the straight and make a lay-eft. Yuh jus' keep do-in 'er!"

Not a fan of Nascar myself... I love the t-shirt with the Nascar logo that instead says "//// BORING ///"
Old 03-16-06, 02:58 PM
manila_boy
Lead Lap

...maybe honda is thinking that racing in nascar is pointless-they would rather advertise their company and not the stickers/decals slapped on the bodies of their cars. i can't even believe that toyota joined this club, what kind of advertising or proof do they need, they're already famous to people and known around the world! from what i can recall, before car manufacturers join rallies, F1, JGTC, etc. etc. to set people’s minds and tell *** that their cars is/are reliable, dependable and also fast.

for me nascar bores me now, i took of my speed channel because of this! i used to watch this channel all the time but now a days it's all about nascar. i watch racing because of the skills of the driver, the potencial of the crews, and the new designs from the engineers! true that F1 spends millions and millions of $$$ every year-but they race in every part of the world so they really have to be serious about their sponsors ie: gas companies (shell, petron, etc.), cigarettes (marlb.,mild 7 etc.) etc. they spend so much on reaserch and newer technologies! that’s where I knew about high strength carbon fibers, stronger yet lighter aluminums, tune suspensions, aerodynamics, brake rotors, turbo fan (that is so light-out of this world material that when u touch it u'll get poisoned by ti!), tires – I believe mercedes is one of the car manufacturers who has way advanced technologies BTW…they do reasearch like their car is a NASA shuttle!!! nascar however just race here in the US (i'm not familiar with this) so basically it costs less than a million to race (correct me if i'm wrong). Unlike F1 there’s not much of tuning needed (hell their engines are hell as fast for a v8) they don’t need to adjust too much suspensions (bcoz they only make left turns), no computers just pedals, shifter and st. wheel-if it wasn’t from F1, nascar will still be as stock as a car (just no panels) To be honest it used to be fun watching it but now i used to have a remote control car from tide, my dad also owns one-skoal, we race on the weekends before but now everybody races on circuits everyone eventually got tired of oval racing!

That’s just me…

btw... best friend works as an engineer at honda (indy/motorolla)
Old 03-16-06, 03:32 PM
bmgs400
Lexus Champion

I put NASCAR in the same category as WWF or ECW wrestling....it's all fixed and planned ahead of time. Accidents happen in both unfortunately someone get skilled or really hurt.
Old 03-16-06, 03:36 PM
Lexmex
Super Moderator

Received 164 Likes on 140 Posts

We had one NASCAR race that I found interesting. Earlier this month, the day after Lexus won at Mexico City, there was a race involving NASCAR vehicles (Busch League), but instead of going around an oval, they literarlly went on a CART track at Hermanos Rodriguez Raceway here in Mexico City. Way out of place, but a Honda would have been just fine there.

Quick Reply: Honda disses Nascar!!