Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Car is f#$# up now.

Search this Thread

Old 03-15-06, 05:02 PM
LeXuSrAcIn
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Car is f#$# up now.

I thought I'd start changing my own oil so I went out and bought all the accesories. I bought a 8000 lb ramp from Walmart. My car weighs 3600 lbs. Well when I slowly started to go up the ramp guess what???? The DAMN RAMP COLLAPSED!!! The crap slid outta place and got stuck in my rocker panel completely messing it up. I now have two huge dents in my rocker panels. The ramp slid back somehow and got stuck. I had to use jacks to raise the car back up and get the POS ramps out. Obviously the POS ramps are messed up and twisted now. I could give less of a damn about those $30 POS. I want my rocker panels fixed now cuz this inferior crap couldnt support my car and the ramps got stuck under the car. I want this damn ramp company to pay for the damages and emotional damages cuz I could have been underneath the car and the ramp could of collapsed on me. I want compensation money. Should I contact Walmart first or direcly email the company that made the inferior ramps??
Old 03-15-06, 05:06 PM
LeXuSrAcIn
Lexus Test Driver

This isn't as much about the car as it is legal matters so I'd appreciate it if you could move it back to the clubhouse. Thanks.
Old 03-15-06, 05:12 PM
Och
Lexus Champion

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Dude, contact a lawyer, you could make some serious $$$
Old 03-15-06, 05:30 PM
RON430
Lexus Fanatic

Buying those ramps very likely was just covered under commercial code and that would mean that, whether it is written on the box or anywhere or not, the liability of the manufacturer is limited to the value of the ramps. With a huge amount of hassle and maybe $30 at stake, it's your call but sometimes for your own sanity you just need to move on. There is a lot of junk sold in the automotive aftermarket and it is tragic how much damage that crap can do. Walmart might send you $30 or a coupon or something just to get rid of you (but I doubt it), or they might tell you to contact the ramp manufacturer. Why do I doubt Walmart would give you anything? Because then they are setting a precedent and it might come back to haunt them in another case if it was then discovered. For them, it would be better to just tell you to go duke it out with the ramp guys. Sort of like E bay. I know that doesn't help and getting the ramp makers to come across with some bucks, assuming you could prove it was their fault and not yours, might make you feel better but ultimately, make your peace of mind the most important issue. Good luck either way. Most of us who have dealt with cars and the aftermarket through the years have had similar experiences.
Old 03-15-06, 06:06 PM
DASHOCKER
Lexus Fanatic

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Wow sorry to hear about that. That could have been disasterous if you were under the car
Old 03-15-06, 06:56 PM
SupraCoup3
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You said they collapsed, then you said they slid out of place...

It sounds like you had rhino ramps, and you drove up them, and over the stopppers at the end, dropping the car back down onto the lift points.

I'm guessing you messed up your 97 side skirts, correct?

I've taken every single one of my SCs up ramps without incident, I'm a little skeptical here.
Old 03-15-06, 07:06 PM
PureDrifter
BahHumBug

Received 94 Likes on 86 Posts

hey, a similar thing happened to me except (thankfully) the rubber grip feet underneath like peeled off and the ramps went FLYING forwards. the front of my car lowered but the ramps didnt hit it. the ramps were however, completely demolished. i took them back, yelled at the kragen manager, and got my $$ back. used it to buy a proper set of jackstands and a decent Craftsman jack.
Old 03-16-06, 07:10 AM
Dx3
Lexus Fanatic

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Sorry to hear man. But I don't think you would get much back in the way of emotional damages

Jonny
Old 03-16-06, 08:45 AM
bmgs400
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by SupraCoup3
You said they collapsed, then you said they slid out of place...

It sounds like you had rhino ramps, and you drove up them, and over the stopppers at the end, dropping the car back down onto the lift points.

I'm guessing you messed up your 97 side skirts, correct?

I've taken every single one of my SCs up ramps without incident, I'm a little skeptical here.
I too use the rhino ramps, got them at Wal-Mart. I always have to make a few attemps to get up the ramp and not over shoot the end...I worry it will happen to me. But it's always gone good for oil changes it works great.
Old 03-16-06, 03:56 PM
SupraCoup3
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by bmgs400
I too use the rhino ramps, got them at Wal-Mart. I always have to make a few attemps to get up the ramp and not over shoot the end...I worry it will happen to me. But it's always gone good for oil changes it works great.

Rhino ramps are great -- they clear low cars and they skid once you're on top of them, but not when you're driving up them.

Best investment of $30 for a car guy.
Old 03-16-06, 04:13 PM
newr
Lexus Champion

why not using the regular jack and stands? It seems a lot more safe than trying to get on the ramps successfully.
Old 03-16-06, 05:31 PM
SupraCoup3
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by newr
why not using the regular jack and stands? It seems a lot more safe than trying to get on the ramps successfully.

I honestly have no idea how it's so hard... it's just a bit of throttle control.
Old 03-16-06, 06:58 PM
mikal
Lexus Champion

Usually when it slides, it slides away from the car. Not towards your car for you to crush your rocker pannel. Crushing your rocker pannels means you went too far and slipped off.

Maybe you need soemthing like this and only go half way.
It's a DIY so you cant blame others.
http://www.mustangworld.com/ourpics/...amps/index.htm
Old 03-17-06, 04:00 AM
GS300Rich
Lexus Fanatic

I dont think you will get anything from the company. Like others have said it sounds like you overshot the ramp and thus messed up your side skirts when they landed on the ramp. Sorry to hear this happen to your car but maybe next time you can have someone outside the vehicle to visually guide you onto the ramps
Old 03-17-06, 10:59 AM
RON430
Lexus Fanatic

The biggest thing you need is to keep the ramps from sliding. When I use them, I always look for a concrete seat to set it into. My driveway meets the garage at an angle so there is a seam with a bit more lip than usual and that is where I set the front edge of the ramp. Second is to go up on the ramps driving with two feet., one on the gas and the other on the brake. Slow the car as it goes up the ramp, but not too much, and as soon as you feel it go over the hump transitioning from ramp to top pad, get on the brake. Otherwise, get a good floor jack and jack stands. Nothing wrong with that either, just that with modern cars you need as low a profile floor jack as you can get in the front. But don't even think about suing a supplier for your own mistake. The world doesn't, and shouldn't, work that way.