Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

The Downfall of Nissan North America, courtesy of Carlos Ghosn

Search this Thread

Old 06-18-06, 08:30 PM
LexFather

It maybe a plus for older workers and managment, who crave to get away from the hustle and bustle of Cali and other large cities.

But to retain or attract young talent, will be tough. They'd be lucky to have McDonalds around. its very tough to live and work in these small towns if your young, you want to go out, etc and you just can't. THere is no social life at all.

Only about 535 of Nissan's headquarters employees have decided to make the move to Tennessee from their homes in California, but Nissan said it has received more than 40,000 applications for the remaining job openings, and that it has already filled or made offers in 60 percent of the vacancies.

All of this comes amid a sales slump for Nissan. Ghosn said the downturn was expected and that the move has not been a distraction. The company expects new car models to boost sales this fall.

"You have to look at it a year, two years down the road, three years down the road and then you can ask of yourself if this is the right decision," Ghosn said of the move to Middle Tennessee.

Old 06-18-06, 10:12 PM
videcormeum
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by 1SICKLEX
It maybe a plus for older workers and managment, who crave to get away from the hustle and bustle of Cali and other large cities.

But to retain or attract young talent, will be tough. They'd be lucky to have McDonalds around. its very tough to live and work in these small towns if your young, you want to go out, etc and you just can't. THere is no social life at all.
A friend/fellow student and I were talking about this just the other day. He visits ATL occasionally on business (ususally stays at Twelve - Atlantic Station) and usually stays for a weekend. When he first started making the trip he thought he'd like to move there. But now he feels like Atlanta is just too busy/wild and he prefers spending most of his time in Columbia, SC (we go to school at the Moore School - USC in Columbia). I've been to Atlanta a few times myself and I too feel like a smaller city is a nice compromise. You can always day-trip elsewhere if you need a club fix and come back to free-flowing traffic, decent dining and laid-back nightlife. I'd have to have a LOT of money for ATL to make sense to me. Oh yeah - we're both 21 ...

One more thing - 285 north/west off of I-20 is the Autobahn. Umm, my SR20 Sentra will do 120 mph.

M.

Last edited by videcormeum; 06-18-06 at 10:18 PM.