Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

SCION to show Coupe Concept at NYIAS

Search this Thread

Old 03-15-06, 08:03 AM
GFerg
Speaks French in Russian

Received 57 Likes on 44 Posts
Default SCION to show Coupe Concept at NYIAS

Scion to Reveal All-New Sports Coupe Concept at 2006 New York International Auto Show

TORRANCE, Calif., March 14 /PRNewswire/ -- Scion will unveil an all-new
sports coupe concept at the 2006 New York International Auto Show.
The Scion press conference will take place on Wednesday, April 12 at
2:00 PM ET in the Special Events Hall in Javits Convention Center. A video
clip of the press conference will be available for viewing following the event
on the Scion.com website.
Old 03-15-06, 08:17 AM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Received 106 Likes on 77 Posts

hm. Since scion already has an coupe, is new supra going to be Scion? :-).
Old 03-15-06, 08:19 AM
Och
Lexus Champion

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

scionpra tt
Old 03-15-06, 09:13 AM
LexFather

I was thinking just today Lexus has SC why the hell did they call the Scion a TC?

Old 03-15-06, 09:19 AM
Koma

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

tC: toyotaCelica
At least that's what some have thought.
I would like to see a new coupe.
Weren't they supposed to be introducing a new AWD turbo 4 door? I speculated it would be the the next generation Matrix XRS turboed and moved into the Scion brand.
Is this the new convertable AWD turbo car? (MR-S + Celica)

I think Toyota needs some new turbo in the blood lines.
Old 03-15-06, 10:10 AM
whoster
Lexus Test Driver

Scion tC i believe gets the name from a rather simple name..

touring Coupe.

i'm not sure why they're releasing another coupe...though technically the tC is a HATCHback.
Old 03-15-06, 10:30 AM
PhilipMSPT
Cycle Savant

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Maybe it'll be a smaller engine MR2 revived as a Scion coupe/roadster, aimed at the Mazda MX-5 or the Pontiac Solstice...

That'll be great!
Old 03-15-06, 11:42 AM
xioix
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by PhilipMSPT
Maybe it'll be a smaller engine MR2 revived as a Scion coupe/roadster, aimed at the Mazda MX-5 or the Pontiac Solstice...

That'll be great!
It would, and would fit right in the young demographics
Old 03-15-06, 12:46 PM
saleem
Pole Position

From what I have heard, this car is definitely going to sit above the TC. It is a new coupe and possibly some variation of a convertible top will be available aswell . Power is supposed to be around 240 HP.
Old 03-15-06, 12:53 PM
TheRupp
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I don't know where t in tC comes from, but I know they couldn't use xC (to complete xA & xB) because "XC" is trademarked by Volvo

Originally Posted by saleem
From what I have heard, this car is definitely going to sit above the TC. It is a new coupe and possibly some variation of a convertible top will be available aswell . Power is supposed to be around 240 HP.
I read that on Edmunds.com as well. I can't find the article though, I'll try and find it.
Old 03-15-06, 12:59 PM
Richie
Lexus Fanatic

Can't wait to see what they come up with
Old 03-15-06, 01:57 PM
saleem
Pole Position

Thumbs up

Here is the article guys I found it. The link is at the bottom, here is the copy and paste

WHISPERS: Toyota Planning New 250-hp Scion tC
Date posted: 08-11-2005

TOKYO — The grapevine in Japan is whispering about a hot, new 250-horsepower pure sport coupe from Toyota, coming next year, which would also double as a new Celica in Japan.

Japan's moles say they've uncovered secret plans for a new pure sport coupe from Toyota, apparently based around the Scion tC. The unnamed model, due in 2006, has 2.4-liter power, like the tC, yet is good for a reputed 250 horsepower.

Toyota is aiming at Honda's stellar Integra Type R (the more exotic, faster version of America's Acura RSX). And the idea would also be to inject some extra speed and enthusiast muscle into the tC.

America will soon bid farewell to the Celica, so this new 250-hp sport coupe would be a welcome replacement. Across in Japan, the talk is Toyota would rebadge it as the eighth-generation Celica.

While the Celica as we know it is 1.8-liter, the story goes that this new model would jump up to a special high-performance 2.0-liter motor, which may be called 2AZ-GE.

What this means to you: Biggest problem with Scion? No power. Thus, this super tC sounds super-cool; let's hope it makes it into the showrooms here.

http://www.edmunds.com/insideline/do...ticleId=106827

FINALLY, I HOPE THIS THING KICKS *** !
Old 03-15-06, 02:07 PM
GFerg
Speaks French in Russian

Received 57 Likes on 44 Posts

Nice. Toyota should focus on coupes, sports cars, and roadsters for the next 3 years. IMO.

I want them to get my hard earned money.
Old 03-15-06, 02:09 PM
saleem
Pole Position

Yeah take my ****ing money to *****es . Make something aggressive for once for gods sake. I hope this is a saucy coupe .
Old 03-15-06, 07:14 PM
xravexboix
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by saleem
Here is the article guys I found it. The link is at the bottom, here is the copy and paste

WHISPERS: Toyota Planning New 250-hp Scion tC
Date posted: 08-11-2005

TOKYO — The grapevine in Japan is whispering about a hot, new 250-horsepower pure sport coupe from Toyota, coming next year, which would also double as a new Celica in Japan.

Japan's moles say they've uncovered secret plans for a new pure sport coupe from Toyota, apparently based around the Scion tC. The unnamed model, due in 2006, has 2.4-liter power, like the tC, yet is good for a reputed 250 horsepower.

Toyota is aiming at Honda's stellar Integra Type R (the more exotic, faster version of America's Acura RSX). And the idea would also be to inject some extra speed and enthusiast muscle into the tC.

America will soon bid farewell to the Celica, so this new 250-hp sport coupe would be a welcome replacement. Across in Japan, the talk is Toyota would rebadge it as the eighth-generation Celica.

While the Celica as we know it is 1.8-liter, the story goes that this new model would jump up to a special high-performance 2.0-liter motor, which may be called 2AZ-GE.

What this means to you: Biggest problem with Scion? No power. Thus, this super tC sounds super-cool; let's hope it makes it into the showrooms here.

http://www.edmunds.com/insideline/do...ticleId=106827

FINALLY, I HOPE THIS THING KICKS *** !
The 2AZ-GE 2.4L engine has existed for a while now. It is simply the current 2.4L 2AZ-FE tuned by Yamaha... at that time (3 years ago now), it was running N/A @ around 11.5:1 CR with a redline at 9k rpm. Today, it will possibly get dual VVT-i. D-4/D-4s may be implemented, but very doubtful since the Scion line is to be kept at an entry level price range.

I doubt the GE will be released though... with the eco-friendly theme going on right now, it'd be hard to see it happen. If it does... it's only because the hybrids raised the average fuel economy of the brand so they can do it w/o any guilt =P

If this vehicle does exist, I hope it's a AWD coupe!! (We've yet to see what Toyota's learn from Subbie). Now that'd be a nice Scion flagship! xD <- happy face, not new scion name

Quick Reply: SCION to show Coupe Concept at NYIAS