Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Budget is 6-10k. What is fastest straight line?

Search this Thread

Old 03-14-06, 08:35 PM
Righteous
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Budget is 6-10k. What is fastest straight line?

I am on a budget. I need something fast to satisfy my needs through college. I have actually about 5k saved in the bank right now. I would like to finance as little as possible. I love Lexus, that is why I have been interested in the GS, LS, and IS. The boosted IS is a beast and would be awesome. But a stock version is about 3k out of my range. I have checked out BMW. They really aren't what I am looking for as they are more for autox and not top speed. I have recently research a lot in to Honda and their Integras. This car would fall in to my money range, but stock this car isn't that fast. On the upside the build quality is the one of the best in the world. So right now, I hate to say it buy I am actually contemplating the LS1's from Chevy.

Big question here is, which is cheaper considering maintenance and modding costs. Because whatever I get it will be transformed in to a drag race type of a car. I hear the Camaro SS or the Firebird (LS1's) will have weak clutch and bad rear end that needs replacement right away. From there, at around 310whp it wouldn't take much to get the car at where I want it speed wise. Now the Integra has much better quality, it just is a lot weaker in stock form. I would probley upgrade to a bigger engine and then go forced induction to get it to the speed levels that could surpass most modded LS1's.

Anyway, feel free to correct any errors I may have made as I know really nothing about Chevy, Camaros, Firebirds, and LS1.
Old 03-14-06, 09:01 PM
Lexmex
Super Moderator

Received 160 Likes on 137 Posts

Knowing what I see at my track every Friday and Saturday night, these cars pack some power and in the U.S, one could get them very easily with the amount of cash you are talking about and have mod money left over.

You got it right on the Camaro or Firebird for the $$$
VW Golf VR6 (my cousin has one of these and it is a lethal pocket rocket that does not take much for modification)
Dodge Spirit R/T (a little difficult to mod)
Dodge Shadow Turbo (same issue with modification, doable but costs a little more than the above two)

If you are lucky, you might find an early (2003) Neon SRT-4 (and they are the fastest group of vehicles where I race).

Forget Integras, I see Civic VTECs that are practically the same thing and have ran against a few stocks ones that I can kill with my modified RX. My cousin kicks them easily with his VR6.

Regarding the Camaro/Firebird, I know guys that race with boosted models (including one with a Squires Turbo System and runs 3 seconds faster than stock). His clutch went out the other day, but no one in my group with the ones that run 2 to 3 second slower ever told me they bought the bullet on the clutch.

I know I am missing a lot more in that category, but just wanted to bring my south of the border perspective.
Old 03-14-06, 09:10 PM
PhilipMSPT
Cycle Savant

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

It's a bit difficult for a car. But with a motorcycle, you can go from 0 to 60 in three seconds for less than $10k... Just a thought...

As for the car, you'll probably end up with a money pit if you get a old-but-modded used car. If they were modded in the first place, you know that the previous owner(s) rode that thing HARD! Make sure you get something that is sturdy and reliable, and then mod it.
Old 03-14-06, 09:13 PM
Righteous
Driver School Candidate

Oh you in Mexico? I always wondered if I could go down there and buy a new BMW 1 series and then bring it back to the states?
Old 03-14-06, 09:48 PM
biggimp
Driver School Candidate

1g dsm awd.

shell: $500
junkyard motor/tranny: $500
new fuel injectors, fpr, fuel pump: $1000 max
new turbo: gt40, $1500-2000
15'' rims with slicks: $300 used
exhaust: $100 (open after downpipe)
intake and exhaust manifolds: $1000
fmic and piping: $750
nitrous to spool the turbo: $300 used
clutch: $300
rip out everything inside: $0
megasquirt ems: $500
tune yourself on dyno or on road: $100 on dyno, $0 on the road

total: $6-7k, less if you shop more for used
10 seconds
Old 03-14-06, 10:09 PM
BlkGS3
Lexus Champion

Lets bring in a domestic up in this Biznatch

Old 03-14-06, 10:24 PM
SteVTEC
Lexus Test Driver

Hell yeah, 94-96 Impala SS with the LT1.

Any LT1/LS1 powered F-body is great. A Mustang is a good candiate too. An old Fox body 5.0, or a newer DOHC Cobra. Can modify the crap out of those for dirt cheap and they'll still be daily driveable. For raw power and not much money, you will never beat American V8's.
Old 03-14-06, 11:11 PM
Inabj2
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by BlkGS3

LTslow.

too heavy.
Old 03-14-06, 11:32 PM
toy4two
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by Righteous
I am on a budget. I need something fast to satisfy my needs through college. I have actually about 5k saved in the bank right now. I would like to finance as little as possible. I love Lexus, that is why I have been interested in the GS, LS, and IS. The boosted IS is a beast and would be awesome. But a stock version is about 3k out of my range. I have checked out BMW. They really aren't what I am looking for as they are more for autox and not top speed. I have recently research a lot in to Honda and their Integras. This car would fall in to my money range, but stock this car isn't that fast. On the upside the build quality is the one of the best in the world. So right now, I hate to say it buy I am actually contemplating the LS1's from Chevy.

Big question here is, which is cheaper considering maintenance and modding costs. Because whatever I get it will be transformed in to a drag race type of a car. I hear the Camaro SS or the Firebird (LS1's) will have weak clutch and bad rear end that needs replacement right away. From there, at around 310whp it wouldn't take much to get the car at where I want it speed wise. Now the Integra has much better quality, it just is a lot weaker in stock form. I would probley upgrade to a bigger engine and then go forced induction to get it to the speed levels that could surpass most modded LS1's.

Anyway, feel free to correct any errors I may have made as I know really nothing about Chevy, Camaros, Firebirds, and LS1.
CROTCH ROCKET, 0-60 3 seconds, 1/4 10 seconds.

Yamaha R1

No 4 wheels, I guess DSM with 16 g, or a Grand National.
Old 03-14-06, 11:53 PM
Lexmex
Super Moderator

Received 160 Likes on 137 Posts

Originally Posted by Righteous
Oh you in Mexico? I always wondered if I could go down there and buy a new BMW 1 series and then bring it back to the states?
I can throw a stone (no joke) and hit the local BMW dealer easily. It is right below my apartment building. The answer in short is while possible, it will cost you $$$. I know people who try to bring in old VW Beetles and cannot get them registered in their home state (there is a trick to do it but I won't describe it). Oh you can drive one across. A lot of Americans here have cars not available in the U.S., locally plate them and can legally drive them across since they have residency down here. Several people were able to get that last version of the Audi A3 across and localy registered.
Old 03-15-06, 08:37 AM
biggimp
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by BlkGS3

that car right there would probably sell at $8-10k. which leaves him with a stock impala, not a fast car. granted you can make impalas pretty damn quick, but not for $2k
Old 03-15-06, 10:54 AM
DASHOCKER
Lexus Fanatic

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

How about a Dodge Omni GLH. Those cars are turbo charged and is a Caroll Shelby built car. It will suprise some Evo's when modded more. All for about 1g for the car today.
The 1986 Shelby GLH-S was a modified Dodge Omni GLH sold under the Shelby marque. GLHS stood for Goes Like Hell Some more. Just 500 were made.

Koni adjustable shock absorbers were specified, along with Shelby-made wheels and special tires. The Turbo I engine was modified with pre-production pieces from what would become the Turbo II engine. These changes included an intercooler and other changes to produce 175 hp (130 kW) and a flat 175 ft·lbf (237 N·m) torque curve. Not included were any of the durability changes to the short block (forged crank, full floating pin, stouter connecting rods, etc.) of the 1987 Chrysler Turbo II engine. Luckily the Shelby engines have proved to be plenty bullet-proof even without the durability enhancements of the Chrylser production Turbo II. Performance was impressive, with just 6.5 s needed for 0–60 mph (97 km/h) and 14.8 s for the quarter mile (402 m) run. Top speed was 130 mph (209 km/h).
Attached Thumbnails Budget is 6-10k. What is fastest straight line?-glhss.jpg  
Old 03-15-06, 04:41 PM
Penforhire
Rookie

I thought the older Fox-body Mustangs (5.0 engines) were the top gun of straight-line speed for the dollar?
Old 03-15-06, 06:44 PM
Bean
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Turbocharging a 91-94 Nissan 240sx.

For $6k I'd have a 500whp monster in a little 2600lb car (2500 if you want to start cutting weight). Including the cost of the car... Includes suspension, rims, tires, LSD, etc. Aftermarket is HUHYYUUUUGE on this car.

I'll have about $2.5k invested in mine (paid $500 for the car with a rod hanging out of the block a while back) and it should be making 300-320whp/340tq with an AWESOME powerband and outstanding handling and even good gas mileage (over 25-30)
Old 03-16-06, 05:18 AM
fireballs gs400
Lexus Champion

Default easy

You want a fast car, a 1998 six speed camara z28...a full 10g's could find a 1998 ss camara.
These cars are fast, and thats what you want. Heck a few more g's and u can get a 1997 vette. Seen some for 12k.

Quick Reply: Budget is 6-10k. What is fastest straight line?