Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

New engine under warranty?

Old 03-14-06, 05:21 PM
amaghazi
Driver

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Default New engine under warranty?

So I was talking today with a friend of mone who is selling his BMW 5. he mentioned that he had 100K warranty on the car and he had the engine changed at 95K. When I asked how, he just said it's common with all BMW owners to go 5K before the end of warranty and complain the car is not running as smoothly to any BMW certified mechanic. The mechanic/dealer then replaces the engine for free and sell the old engine for a bunch of bucks! Does this happen with Lexus? Is that something people do? I haven't heard that before.

J
Old 03-14-06, 05:29 PM
LexFather

Originally Posted by amaghazi
So I was talking today with a friend of mone who is selling his BMW 5. he mentioned that he had 100K warranty on the car and he had the engine changed at 95K. When I asked how, he just said it's common with all BMW owners to go 5K before the end of warranty and complain the car is not running as smoothly to any BMW certified mechanic. The mechanic/dealer then replaces the engine for free and sell the old engine for a bunch of bucks! Does this happen with Lexus? Is that something people do? I haven't heard that before.

J
No this does not happen with Lexus and I seriously think your friend is exaggerating. BMW has had its share of engine issue but no way in hell they are going to replace probably a $30,000 engine 5k before the warrenty expires. As a matter of fact, BMW is VERY stringint with replacing anything, you better have some GREAT documentation.

Old 03-14-06, 10:53 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 183 Likes on 142 Posts

i agree, definitely not going to happen for lexus, and i doubt if that happens that "OFTEN" for bmw. they need to have good reasons to do warranty work. not just coz' you go in and whine and then they will do it
Old 03-15-06, 04:56 AM
TheRupp
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I rarely if ever hear about people replacing the entire engine anymore this day in age on ANY car. It's not uncommon to see a Lexus with 200k+ miles on it, at which point it still has probably another 100k of life left in it (if taken care of properly, of course). I don't know so much about the lifespan of BMW's, but I know for sure that 100k isn't death for the BMW engines (maybe the M3, but that's only because it's a super tuned engine and not made for duribility).
Old 03-15-06, 05:18 AM
CdeFabio
Lead Lap

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by 1SICKLEX
As a matter of fact, BMW is VERY stringint with replacing anything, you better have some GREAT documentation.
Agreed! I had to really complain to get them to replace my wife's wiper blades and engine filter the last time she went in for service on her X5. The car has 15,000 miles and the wipers were so bad you could not see out of the windshield when you used them - but they insisted they were operating normally. BMW service leaves a lot to be desired, dealing with Lexus is so much better!