Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Anybody disappointed in Lexus Navagation?

Search this Thread

Old 03-13-06, 08:45 PM
h777
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Anybody disappointed in Lexus Navagation?

Anybody disappointed in Lexus Navagation? Reason I say that is, I was expecting it to kind of be like Acura RL's new Navagation which has the ability to read live traffic information. Just wondering if anybody shares in my disappointment. Aside from that, everything else is top notch. Me being from the Northern Virginia Area, we have a lot of traffic and I could use it.
Old 03-13-06, 09:05 PM
PhilipMSPT
Cycle Savant

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I would love to have traffic info on my nav, but I'm not disappointed about it just because I don't have it. The 5th Gen nav system is awesome, and the quality surpasses anything I have seen.

Don't put down your "bells and whistles" because there is something better out there. You'll never enjoy what you currently have if you do so.
Old 03-13-06, 09:10 PM
LEXUS FAN!
Lead Lap

The new LS will have real time traffic update as well like the RL

I think the Lexus Nav system is awesome, especially the touch screen...i have seen the BMW and Porsche nav systems, and they are hard to operate
Old 03-13-06, 10:14 PM
GlobeCLK
Lexus Fanatic

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Lexus has the best NAV systems available in the US, aside from the real-time traffic information (which will be available on the LS as Lexus Fan pointed out)

Not having that currently doesn't make people disappointed in Lexus, and it also doesn't make people rush out to get the RL either
Old 03-13-06, 10:47 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 184 Likes on 143 Posts

Originally Posted by LEXUS FAN!
The new LS will have real time traffic update as well like the RL

I think the Lexus Nav system is awesome, especially the touch screen...i have seen the BMW and Porsche nav systems, and they are hard to operate
really? man i probably missed that part about the new nav again....

honestly, be fair, lexus doesn't have the best nav out there now, period. we might revisit this again this fall with the new nav on the ls, but before that, acura's alpine nav system is probably the best in the market. it's definitely more "inteligent" than the one on lexus.

however, lexus being the second best i am pretty happy about, especially when you look at the nav system on euro cars (now that's what you call disappointment)
Old 03-13-06, 11:17 PM
wolverine
Lexus Champion

when I went to Sac the nav couldnt find both of my cousins houses...so Im alittle dissapointed
Old 03-13-06, 11:28 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Originally Posted by wolverine
when I went to Sac the nav couldnt find both of my cousins houses...so Im alittle dissapointed
is that with a old version dvd or with your new is350? i am surprised if the nav can't find their addy
Old 03-14-06, 04:15 AM
jwa
Pole Position

Originally Posted by rominl
acura's alpine nav system is probably the best in the market. it's definitely more "inteligent" than the one on lexus.

however, lexus being the second best i am pretty happy about, especially when you look at the nav system on euro cars (now that's what you call disappointment)
I agree with rominl.
Old 03-14-06, 04:24 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 83 Likes on 82 Posts

really?
honestly, be fair, lexus doesn't have the best nav out there now, period. we might revisit this again this fall with the new nav on the ls, but before that, acura's alpine nav system is probably the best in the market. it's definitely more "inteligent" than the one on lexus.

)
Yes...the Honda / Acura ones are generally considered the best automotive NAV systems currently on the market. I am not sure, though, that ANY of them are really worth what they cost ( $1800-2000 on average, independent of group-option packages ) unless you do a LOT of driving in unfamiliar and crowded places. And many cars that do have them have integrated sound system controls with them that are confusing as well.
Old 03-14-06, 04:53 AM
TheRupp
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

The Lexus nav system hasn't left me scratching my head yet. The only things I would improve are bluetooth interface (I don't personally have any problems using Cingular phones, but it seems like a lot of people are having problems with it) and add more voice commands. One thing I'd like to see integrated with voice commands is cruise control. "Cruise hold 58" or something like that.

The only other thing I'd do is getting rid of the lockout while in motion. We're finding workarounds for that, but we shouldn't have to.

Hey, we could be using iDrive. Compared to MB and BMW (only 2 European nav systems I've used), we're way spoiled.
Old 03-14-06, 05:06 AM
LexLaw
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by TheRupp
The Lexus nav system hasn't left me scratching my head yet. The only things I would improve are bluetooth interface (I don't personally have any problems using Cingular phones, but it seems like a lot of people are having problems with it) and add more voice commands. One thing I'd like to see integrated with voice commands is cruise control. "Cruise hold 58" or something like that.

The only other thing I'd do is getting rid of the lockout while in motion. We're finding workarounds for that, but we shouldn't have to.

Hey, we could be using iDrive. Compared to MB and BMW (only 2 European nav systems I've used), we're way spoiled.
I could not agree more. Euro Navs suck. Having the 2nd best navs isn't too bad.
Old 03-14-06, 07:55 AM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Received 111 Likes on 82 Posts

problem with live traffic info is not hardware - since exactly same lexus and toyota nav units support it in Europe, it is data provider of the live traffic. I believe that someone posted here that in LA traffic, they couldnt trust live data, as it wasnt fast enough to keep with traffic. And if you could not trust it in LA......
Old 03-14-06, 08:49 AM
wolverine
Lexus Champion

is that with a old version dvd or with your new is350? i am surprised if the nav can't find their addy
it was with my is350. to find there address I hade to put there cross street instead of the street they were on.
Old 03-14-06, 09:17 AM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Originally Posted by wolverine
it was with my is350. to find there address I hade to put there cross street instead of the street they were on.
just curious, you sure you put in the right name (blvd, street, ct, drv, etc...)? for some reason, this is one big downside of lexus nav (compared to acura, for that matter). you have to be specific or you get nothing. for example, one time i need to put in "hope drive" i mean, it's drive right? jesus, when i put it in, i couldn't find it. ended up i have to put in DR, and then click on list (it has more than 5 choices), and then i find my street. it's all these little stuff. your car is so new, i doubt it doesn't have roads and addresses of already existing places, i think it's just how you put it in. another hint is sometimes you push on city and put in the city name, that will help narrow things down.

yup, that's my complain on lexus nav too

Originally Posted by mmarshall
Yes...the Honda / Acura ones are generally considered the best automotive NAV systems currently on the market. I am not sure, though, that ANY of them are really worth what they cost ( $1800-2000 on average, independent of group-option packages ) unless you do a LOT of driving in unfamiliar and crowded places. And many cars that do have them have integrated sound system controls with them that are confusing as well.
well, i said so too, 2k for nav. but after owning it? it's not about how often you use it, it's about that few times you really need it.
Old 03-14-06, 09:47 AM
diablo1
Lexus Test Driver

I agree with the complaint that you have to get the street exactly right. They should have "Hope Dr" and "Hope Drive" both, but they don't, and it's not even consistent... Sometimes things are spelled out, sometimes they are abbreviated. I've noticed this too with POI icons. If you are looking for Friendly's restaurant, there will be 15 listings for "Friendly's", 5 listings for "Friendly's Restaurant", and 2 for "Friendly's Restaurant and Ice Cream Shoppe". Or something like that. They really need to standardize this.

Also I heard traffic data on the Acuras is so slow and incomplete as to be almost useless. Anyone used that system and able to confirm?

Quick Reply: Anybody disappointed in Lexus Navagation?