Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Motor Trend 1. Prius 2. Civic 1. Camry 2. Accord (battle of the hybrids)

Search this Thread

Old 03-10-06, 12:10 PM
LexFather

Smile Motor Trend 1. Prius 2. Civic 1. Camry 2. Accord (battle of the hybrids)

So Toyota swept the victory, takeaways.
1. The Civic gets 40mpg, which is great to the Prius 44mpg.
2. The Prius is still incredible.
3. The Camry hybrid has REINVENTED hybrids already. Toyota has topped Toyota.
4. The Accord hybrid needs more focus on fuel economy. It is the fastest (0-60 in 6.9).

Overall, they were floored by the Camry hybrid. It looks/drives like a V-6 Camry with I-4 or better efficiency. They said its going to sell like hotcakes.

The Accord battery is smaller than the Civics! They understand its a flagship but they are more impressed with the Camry V-6 power with I-4 economy, instead of V-6 power+ with V-6 economy.

Old 03-10-06, 12:52 PM
Leets
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'll definitely be checking out one of those new Camry hybrids when they hit the dealerships.
Old 03-10-06, 01:41 PM
newr
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

the price tag of $30K is not small change.
Old 03-10-06, 01:50 PM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Received 161 Likes on 119 Posts

scan, scan, scan!!! or pm
Old 03-10-06, 02:16 PM
LexFather

Originally Posted by newr
the price tag of $30K is not small change.
The average new car price is $32k

Old 03-10-06, 02:32 PM
PhilipMSPT
Cycle Savant

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by 1SICKLEX
The average new car price is $32k
But I think people look to buy cars closer to the $20-25k range. They just end up buying a little more when they add options they want...

What will most likely happen is that people will look at base Camries, then end up wanting the hybrid if it's available. That's how they'll sell like hotcakes.
Old 03-10-06, 03:05 PM
LexFather

Originally Posted by spwolf
scan, scan, scan!!! or pm
Busy weekend, give me Sunday

Old 03-10-06, 04:06 PM
GFerg
Speaks French in Russian
Senior Moderator

Received 65 Likes on 50 Posts

Sounds great. I might have to pick it up.
Old 03-10-06, 04:13 PM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by PhilipMSPT
But I think people look to buy cars closer to the $20-25k range. They just end up buying a little more when they add options they want...

What will most likely happen is that people will look at base Camries, then end up wanting the hybrid if it's available. That's how they'll sell like hotcakes.
depending on pricing, (base at 26, loaded at 29k?), Camry is going to be huge hit. It is only 3k-4k extra compared to Prius and it is an car that nobody can complained about. It is quite big, its got V6 performance and 40MPG.
Old 03-10-06, 07:55 PM
AJL0365
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

it wasnt the camry hybrid, but it was the 2007 camry. theres three or four at the local dealership and im really inprtessed with them. they all were LE's though but one was a red LE with leather and the 16 inch alloy wheels, that car looked pretty sharp. the regualr cloth has a nice touch to it and the audio/climate controls look really neat, to bad it was dark yet. but overall the camry is gonna be a hit for toyota once again. i'll trade mines in in a second for a LE or even an XLE version, still gotta get used to the SE grill, but would love to have the hybrid as well
Old 03-12-06, 12:12 PM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

*bump*

:-)
Old 03-12-06, 02:40 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

Some of you guys may disagree with me on this, ( and I respect that ) but I'll take the Civic Hybrid over the Pruis ( I have driven both cars ). I agree the Prius has a more advanced and more flexible hybrid system, but the egg-shaped styling, extreme slant-back headlights that almost reach the windshield base, geeky digital dashboard graphics, snub-tab shifter, and center-mount gauges completely turn me off. The Civic and Insight Hybrids, on the other hand.....like other Toyota, Lexus, Ford, and Honda hybrids, are all MUCH more conventional inside and out.....the way I like it.
Old 03-12-06, 02:51 PM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by mmarshall
Some of you guys may disagree with me on this, ( and I respect that ) but I'll take the Civic Hybrid over the Pruis ( I have driven both cars ). I agree the Prius has a more advanced and more flexible hybrid system, but the egg-shaped styling, extreme slant-back headlights that almost reach the windshield base, geeky digital dashboard graphics, snub-tab shifter, and center-mount gauges completely turn me off. The Civic and Insight Hybrids, on the other hand.....like other Toyota, Lexus, Ford, and Honda hybrids, are all MUCH more conventional inside and out.....the way I like it.
prius has center mounted gauges? which prius is that?
Old 03-12-06, 03:02 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by spwolf
prius has center mounted gauges? which prius is that?
Not everything is mounted there, but much of what is found behind the steering wheel on most cars is center-mounted on the Prius. Observe......
http://www.edmunds.com/used/2005/toy...2F022873-T.jpg
Old 03-12-06, 03:13 PM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by mmarshall
Not everything is mounted there, but much of what is found behind the steering wheel on most cars is center-mounted on the Prius. Observe......
http://www.edmunds.com/used/2005/toy...2F022873-T.jpg
there is absolutly nothing as such. Prius has Navigation screen with music, hvac, and energy display mounted in the center, same as in any ... lexus lets say. Nothing else is mounted at center at all. If you are thinking about digital display above, only things that are at center are warning for seatbelt and icy road, and maybe few other warnings.

actual digital display that is in front of you has speedo, gauges and few other things that you usually find in front of you in any other car. It is just that it has been moved under the windshield and is not exactly behind steering wheel.

Quick Reply: Motor Trend 1. Prius 2. Civic 1. Camry 2. Accord (battle of the hybrids)