Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

How to AVOID getting Traffic Tickets, or how to get them and NOT pay for them! Simple

Search this Thread

Old 03-10-06, 09:48 AM
amaghazi
Driver

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Default How to AVOID getting Traffic Tickets, or how to get them and NOT pay for them! Simple

So very simple! I just discovered this a few weeks ago.

What you need to do is to get a driving license in another country who's part of the traffic convention of 1929 or 1949 (check your DMV). and then you get an internationla driving permit from that country (you dont have to be a citizen of that country). Once you have a valid international driving permit , you can use it for one year in the united states if you prove (by your passport stamp) you entered the country within a year. For me, i travel to Australia every summer, so I will do it there. The only down-side is that you cannot be a resident in the United states (you cannot own a car for example) so you have to register your car under someone else's name and drive it with your international permit.

So unless it's a criminal charge, any violation will come with a fine! but so WHAT! Usually, if you choose the right country those fines don't go to any agency that will charge you and they are usually meaningless. My friend drove with his international permit for 10 months, got a total of 8 tickets for $4000! never paid any! went back to his country, got a new permit and was ready to do it all over again!

It works great if u r a traveller or you like to speed like me (and you actually think 65mph is a stupid law).

so check it out

J
Old 03-10-06, 12:25 PM
blacksc400
Car Chat Moderator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

hahah, nice try, I could do it too but too much work...
SO I chose to drive like a grandma
Old 03-10-06, 12:53 PM
TLW
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by amaghazi
So very simple! I just discovered this a few weeks ago.

What you need to do is to get a driving license in another country who's part of the traffic convention of 1929 or 1949 (check your DMV). and then you get an internationla driving permit from that country (you dont have to be a citizen of that country). Once you have a valid international driving permit , you can use it for one year in the united states if you prove (by your passport stamp) you entered the country within a year. For me, i travel to Australia every summer, so I will do it there. The only down-side is that you cannot be a resident in the United states (you cannot own a car for example) so you have to register your car under someone else's name and drive it with your international permit.

So unless it's a criminal charge, any violation will come with a fine! but so WHAT! Usually, if you choose the right country those fines don't go to any agency that will charge you and they are usually meaningless. My friend drove with his international permit for 10 months, got a total of 8 tickets for $4000! never paid any! went back to his country, got a new permit and was ready to do it all over again!

It works great if u r a traveller or you like to speed like me (and you actually think 65mph is a stupid law).

so check it out

J

my head hurts
Old 03-10-06, 01:54 PM
blk on blk
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by TLW
my head hurts
I think I got something like 'travel' out of it...
Old 03-10-06, 02:30 PM
-J-P-L-
Lexus Fanatic

Or you could just become a cop or other type of law official.

Trust me, they NEVER get ticketed.
Old 03-10-06, 02:33 PM
Leets
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

hmm... so frequent trips to australia?

.... I think I'd actually be better off financially by just paying for the ticket and traffic school.
Old 03-10-06, 02:35 PM
PhilipMSPT
Cycle Savant

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

My best friend was sideswiped by a 17 year old German supermodel (yeah, lucky dog!) that had an international driving permit. Of course, the model had no insurance. Repairs encompassed the $500 deduction, and an increase in insurance premiums for the next three years. YEAH!!!

It's not about avoiding tickets, it's about endangering the lives of people and their well-being!!! Don't be an *** on the road...

Last edited by PhilipMSPT; 03-10-06 at 04:25 PM.
Old 03-10-06, 03:38 PM
tuddy
Negative Nancy

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

[QUOTE

It's not about avoiding tickets, it's about endangering the lives of people and their well-being!!! Don't be an *** on the road...[/QUOTE]

Basically...
Old 03-10-06, 03:44 PM
TLW
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by JLSC4
Or you could just become a cop or other type of law official.

Trust me, they NEVER get ticketed.

I saw an espisode of 21 Jump Street where the captain got a DWI for too many glasses of wine

Does that count ?
Old 03-10-06, 05:20 PM
DASHOCKER
Lexus Fanatic

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Cops can be arrested
Old 03-10-06, 05:50 PM
Skulinex
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I used to be in that boat but there is a downside to it, or at least here in GA, if you get pulled over you must have your passport <with stamped date of entrance>, country of origin driver's license and the international driver's license. The deal is IF you are going to be in GA for more than 30 days, you must apply for a temporary GA driver's license. This goes as well with ppl coming from other states.
Old 03-10-06, 05:59 PM
papachino
Pole Position

My dad is a trooper and believe me, most "law enforcers" think they are above the law. I can get into it but basically said, since they write the tickets, who gives them one?
Old 03-11-06, 05:14 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 83 Likes on 82 Posts

Originally Posted by DASHOCKER
Cops can be arrested
Yes, it happens.........more than you think.

Now, as far as the thread topic goes, you can only get away with so much on an international license, even if you are not an American citizen or legal resident. Abuse your driving privlidges too much ( notice I said prividges, not rights....driving is not a right ) and the DMV's will forward your record to the State Department...and after that anything can happen. You could even be deported.
Old 03-11-06, 08:04 AM
-J-P-L-
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by DASHOCKER
Cops can be arrested
Of course.

When I said cops don't get ticketed, I meant for general traffic violations which is the topic here.
Speeding is probably the prime example. If your a cop off duty and get pulled over for 85 in a 65,
it's highly unlikely he's going home with a ticket. 130 mph? Then yes he's in trouble even as a cop. Reasonable violations are very easy to get out of though.
Old 03-11-06, 05:00 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 83 Likes on 82 Posts

Yes.....there are honest cops and dishonest ones. An honest one WILL ticket a fellow law enforcement officer if there is a good reason for it. A REALLY honest one will even ticket a cop who outranks him.....but don't hold your breath waiting for that. That's like an Army Private telling a General to drop and give him 50 pushups.

Quick Reply: How to AVOID getting Traffic Tickets, or how to get them and NOT pay for them! Simple