Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Toyota to build a new "cheap" brand for emerging and developing economies

Search this Thread

Old 03-09-06, 11:29 AM
GFerg
Speaks French in Russian

Received 58 Likes on 45 Posts
Thumbs up Toyota to build a new "cheap" brand for emerging and developing economies

As Chinese aim cheap cars at us, Toyota takes aim at them
Edward Lapham
Automotive News / March 7, 2006 - 10:19 am

In North America, many people worry about China, India and Malaysia being the mostly like sources for a new invasion of cheap cars.

Sooner or later, most or all of those nations will begin exporting low-cost vehicles to the land of the free and the home of the brave.

But as far as the rest of the world is concerned, the developing economies of eastern Europe have become a spawning ground for basic passenger cars, such as the Logan sedan, which is built by Dacia and sold by Renault in countries with developing economies.

The competition is so hot that even staid, old Toyota plans to get back to building cheaper models, according to Automotive News Europe, which like Automotive News, is published by Crain Communications Inc.

And get this: Toyota likely will establish a brand for the cheapie models and build a separate channel with separate facilities to sell them.

It's not exactly like Toyota is rushing into the market; that's not the Toyota way. It will be 2010 before the new models hit the market.

Renault, Peugeot, Citroen and Fiat already have cheapie sedans, wagons and minivans that in some cases sell for the equivalent of $8,000 or less, many of them built in eastern Europe or Turkey.

And just because were talking cheap doesn't mean we're talking small because families in developing economies need space, too.

Toyota's new models are expected to be bigger than some of the current small-car models it sells in western Europe, Japan and the United States.

It's not likely that any of these new Toyota models -- or any of the other cheapies -- will end up in western Europe or North America because they wouldn't really fit either the Toyota or Scion brand.

But developing countries outside Europe such as India, China and Brazil are viewed as prime markets.

Think of the irony: Just as Chinese automakers are getting ready to invade North America and western Europe, a whole new crop of cheapies with European and Japanese brand names lands in China.

Isn't the global economy great?
http://www.autonews.com/apps/pbcs.dl.../60307006/1003

Last edited by magneto112; 03-09-06 at 11:33 AM.
Old 03-09-06, 01:47 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 184 Likes on 143 Posts

man, i brand that's even cheaper than scion?! i thought scions are already priced so damn well already
Old 03-09-06, 01:52 PM
TRDFantasy
Lexus Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by rominl
man, i brand that's even cheaper than scion?! i thought scions are already priced so damn well already
Scion is a North American-only brand, and apart from being a cheap brand, it's main purpose is to offer funky, and youthful cars aimed at attracting young people.

This cheap Toyota brand would only be sold in poor or undeveloped countries, and it would not be sold in the US. Imagine cars with a lower price than a Yaris or Aveo, and that's basically what these will be. Barebones vehicles, purely for point A to B travel.
Old 03-09-06, 02:08 PM
XeroK00L
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I thought Daihatsu is doing just that already? What's the need for yet another brand really?
Old 03-09-06, 02:25 PM
TRDFantasy
Lexus Fanatic

This is a sub-Daihatsu brand. Daihatsu mainly sells in Japan, and specializes in small cars. That doesn't mean they are necessarily cheap.

Envision this brand as having the same or similar prices as Chinese cars. They will be priced less than even the lowest Daihatsu model.
Old 03-09-06, 02:58 PM
PhilipMSPT
Cycle Savant

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

When you get rid of airbags, insulation, power anything, use cheap metal, no a/c or radio, and have enough space to carry small animals from the farm, you can have a $5k car.

It's pretty much a motorcycle with four wheels...
Old 03-10-06, 03:06 AM
2ndchance
Pole Position

Tuk tuk's 4 lyf, y0!
Attached Thumbnails Toyota to build a new "cheap" brand for emerging and developing economies-tuk_tuk.jpg  
Old 03-10-06, 08:54 AM
Lexmex
Super Moderator

Received 161 Likes on 137 Posts

As much as I would like to see Toyota have success in my country of residence, Mexico, I know that even the lowest priced model, the Yaris, is still out of reach for many. One big problem issue is that even getting financing for vehicles (and more so for houses) is astronomical, though I applaud Toyota for doing a great job down here as they have good worldwide assets to back them up.

If the can make a vehicle that gets the popularity (but not the crummy quality) of a VW Beetle or a Nissan Tsuru (looks like a first generation Sentra and is now the #1 selling vehicle in Mexico), that is what they need to be successful.
Old 03-10-06, 01:54 PM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Received 110 Likes on 81 Posts

15k for Scion is huge :-). Add some 30-50% average taxes in Europe, and cheapest, barest, smallest Toyota comes out to 16k-17k.