Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Car Dealers (online or otherwise) Why do they list these as options?

Search this Thread

Old 03-06-06, 08:50 PM
LexLaw
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Car Dealers (online or otherwise) Why do they list these as options?

I love how used car dealers list "options" like A/C or power steering as if they even make cars without these now standard features. I also enjoy when they tell you that you're getting the wood package with your Lexus SC as if there are carbon fiber editions floating outh there. I remember a dealer telling me that this SC 430 model he had on his lot has the "Luxury Package" that comes with wood steering wheel and HIDs. I just walked away and laughed because I knew where this was going. Why do used car dealers try to sell you on their "exclusive features that only their lot offers". Even the whole A/C, power windows thing is a bit tired now in 2006.
Old 03-06-06, 09:07 PM
PhilipMSPT
Cycle Savant

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Believe it or not, there are still cars out there that do NOT have A/C or power steering and the such. For example, the Hyundai Accent charges $800 for an A/C option. The Ford Focus charges $910 for A/C.

Now, if you are looking at a used Lexus, you're sure to find most amenities standard. But for the general public that are not so well educated on the subject, it's still a selling point. Hey, as a Salesman, you sell what you got: you tell people that metallic paint is more expensive even though it's standard on a Lexus, because BMW charges you $800 extra for it. You tell people that a Lexus has twenty airbags, and although it comes standard, you tell it anyways because other automakers charge $2k for them. You also tell people that wood trim is luxurious because Bentley and Rolls Royce has them. You just don't tell the customer that Hyundais and Kias have them too.

Hey, it's American Capitalism. You say what you need to say (truthfully) to sell what you got.

Last edited by PhilipMSPT; 03-07-06 at 08:10 AM.
Old 03-06-06, 11:20 PM
AsianGirl007
Lexus Diva

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Yeah, if you're on a non Lexus dealer used car lot the salesperson may not be aware of the standard features that comes on Lexus. If you are on a Lexus dealer lot, chances are the guy is new or he is a complete schmo.
Old 03-07-06, 01:25 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 83 Likes on 82 Posts

Originally Posted by PhilipMSPT
Believe it or not, there are still cars out there that do NOT have A/C or power steering and the such. For example, the Hyundai Accent charges $800 for an A/C option. The Ford Focus charges $910 for A/C.

Now, if you are looking at a used Lexus, you're sure to find most amenities standard. But for the general public that are not so well educated on the subject, it's still a selling point. Hey, as a Salesman, you sell what you got: you tell people that metallic paint is more expensive even though it's standard on a Lexus, because BMW charges you $800 extra for it. You tell people that a Lexus has twenty airbags, and although it comes standard, you tell it anyways because other automakers charge $2k for them. You also tell people that wood trim is luxurious because Bentley and Rolls Royce has them. You just don't tell the customer that Hyundais and Kias have them too.

Hey, it's American Capitalism. You saw what you need to say (truthfully) to sell what you got.
On a small, light car, I actually prefer non-power steering, though as you point out it is quite difficult to find today. While it slows steering response due to the decreased input ratio, it VASTLY increases road feel.....unless you are driving a BMW where the power steering feel is so good you can't tell it from manual steering anyway.

As for the metallic paint comments, while it is true that Lexus does not charge extra for metallic colors like BMW ( and some other European makes ) do, metallic paint is NOT standard. There were ( and are ) a number of non-metallic colors offered on Lexus models, mostly on the IS300. The solar yellow color I had on mine was non-metallic...as was the Absolutely Red.

As for the wood trim comments, GOOD wood trim ( or good fake wood trim ) is luxurious, but some " woods" make it difficult for me to keep down my lunch.
Old 03-07-06, 09:37 AM
Lexmex
Super Moderator

Received 161 Likes on 137 Posts

This reminds my of an uncle I have in Illinois. For almost 40 years, he goes to a dealership and I ask for manual, no A/C...basically everything down to its lowest common denominator on the car. It is simply amazing watching him try to do this in this day and age, but he gets in to some pretty strong arguments with the salespersons when they describe something as a nice option, and says he does not want it, and they then tell him there isn't any other option.