Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Autocar reports New Toyota Sports Car in the works with all wheel drive, midengined!

Search this Thread

Old 03-06-06, 08:15 AM
saleem
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Autocar reports New Toyota Sports Car in the works with all wheel drive, midengined!

This article was published in this weeks Autocar. I have a strong feeling this is coming, look at the pictures below they only lead to this car they mention in the article . The test mule was spotted on the ring back in 2004 along with the first shots of the LF-A. Very juicy bits of info, I found and attached the pictures below for you guys. What do you all think ?

The Toyota Celica is on its way out -- but then it's coming back in a brand new guise. But don't hold your breath, because it's not likely to appear until 2008.
According to a report in this week's Autocar, the Japanese car giant, which recently overtook GM as the world's biggest carmaker, is developing a mid-engined, 4WD hybrid car with four seats to replace both the MR2 and Celica. Both cars are nearing the end of their lives and will be withdrawn by mid-2006.

It could be called a Celica -- that's yet to be determined -- and it will draw inspiration from the CS+S concept shown in Tokyo in 2003 -- see pic. However, it leaves Toyota without a high-performance motor for the time being.

A radical departure for a sports car, the machine could house a power train similar to that of the Toyota Yaris T-Sport, using a 105bhp petrol engine, as does the Prius hybrid. It'll rev to 7,000rpm though, which, since the engine's a VVT-i, suggests that the power will mostly be found at the top end of the rev range.

Behind the engine will be a continuously variable transmission with artificial steps to make it a more familiar experience. But there'll also be a two electric motors, one for each pair of wheels, that'll kick in during urban excursions, and when extra power is called for. For example, the Prius's motors develop some 400lb-ft of torque, which is not to be sniffed at.

Other packaging firsts include a folding metal roof, the first in a mid-engined car. The delay is down to a shortage of hybrid drive-trains within Toyota, which is struggling to fulfil demand for them as it is.

Source: Autocar

I think this is the test mule boys and girls im certain that toyota is testing a hybrid drive train under the widebody MR-S guise. look at the wheel wells look at the length of this this thing this is DEFINITELY not an ordinary MR spyder.
Old 03-06-06, 08:53 AM
XeroK00L
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Coool.... An affordable Toyota sports car is coming. Thanks for the very juicy info.

How did they deduce that this puppy has AWD though? If anything I see it as the successor to the MR-S.

Also, I don't understand Toyota's mentality in making this thing a 4-seater. when the rear "seats" look as comfy as the SC430. What gives?

BTW, if it has a fold-down hardtop, it isn't a true sports car.

Got link to the article?

Last edited by XeroK00L; 03-06-06 at 09:11 AM.
Old 03-06-06, 10:01 AM
LexFather

Those are very old pics.
We'll see ,Toyota is doing it big everywhere, except sports cars.

Old 03-06-06, 10:44 AM
PhilipMSPT
Cycle Savant

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by XeroK00L
Also, I don't understand Toyota's mentality in making this thing a 4-seater. when the rear "seats" look as comfy as the SC430. What gives?
I think Toyota/Lexus does this to (1) decrease insurance costs for the customer, (2) have the availability to seat more than two people (just in case), and (3) aren't two seaters taxed differently (and more) than 4 seaters?
Old 03-06-06, 10:45 AM
diablo1
Lexus Test Driver

Ya, now that you mention it... Honda has S2k, Mazda has Miata/MX5, BMW has Z4, GM is jumping into it w/Saturn Sky and Pontiac Solstice... Toyota's lineup is lacking in this type of model. Although I hope they give it more than 105 hp!
Old 03-06-06, 10:50 AM
saleem
Pole Position

Originally Posted by 1SICKLEX
Those are very old pics.
We'll see ,Toyota is doing it big everywhere, except sports cars.
I know those pictures came out in 04 . the first thing that came to my mind is those pictures after I read this article on carspyshots.net . That test mule has mysteriously disappeared off the radar since those pictures appeared . The pictures above and the LF-A before we knew it was the LF-A were spotted together doing hot laps on the ring. I did a little google search and came across these pictures just so I can show you guys what they are trying to say. I think thats the next logical step Toyota is gonna take is to take the Volta concept and make it ready for mass production for something logical and practical that can be mass produced and this article is pointing to that . I think it makes the best business sense since Toyota is pushing hybrid technology like no other, an affordable hybrid sports car is the next logical step in my opinion. They would make a killing on the market with it. Good gas economy low insurance costs, affordable = HIGH sales volume. They dont wanna make another supra the new skin of the Supra is the LF-A, its like the supra went to modelling school and got a complete makeover back better than ever. Toyota= profit and reliability. So if they make another sports car under the Toyota name it will HAVE to be profitable and reliable and appeal to the masses and something along the lines mentioned above is enevitable I think.
Old 03-06-06, 11:45 AM
Overclocker
G35x - RWD/AWD goodness

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

saleem, are you saying Toyota doesn't want to make another Supra at all, or just a Supra hybrid.? Because all the big car mags say that a new Supra is on the way...

Either way, I would love to see a new MR2, or MA4, or whatever they end up calling their new affordable sports car.
Old 03-06-06, 12:04 PM
TheRupp
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by PhilipMSPT
I think Toyota/Lexus does this to (1) decrease insurance costs for the customer, (2) have the availability to seat more than two people (just in case), and (3) aren't two seaters taxed differently (and more) than 4 seaters?
Correct, just like the Porsche Carrera's
Old 03-06-06, 12:07 PM
GFerg
Speaks French in Russian

Received 58 Likes on 45 Posts

I think the entire Volta concept actually being produced was a bunch of bull from the beginning. I think it was just a design exercise and to show people the other advantages Hybrid vehicles have besides saving gas.
Old 03-06-06, 01:09 PM
PhilipMSPT
Cycle Savant

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by magneto112
I think the entire Volta concept actually being produced was a bunch of bull from the beginning. I think it was just a design exercise and to show people the other advantages Hybrid vehicles have besides saving gas.
Hybrids are getting a new face in the tech world though. Just look at the GS450h and LS600h.

The possibility is there. The reality though is still a couple of years behind...
Old 03-06-06, 01:17 PM
UDel
Lexus Fanatic

Received 296 Likes on 223 Posts

Originally Posted by Overclocker
saleem, are you saying Toyota doesn't want to make another Supra at all, or just a Supra hybrid.? Because all the big car mags say that a new Supra is on the way...

Either way, I would love to see a new MR2, or MA4, or whatever they end up calling their new affordable sports car.
I don't think Toyota is serious about making a new Supra anymore. I am loosing hope because after all the rumours,predictions, and drawings over the years there has not been any credible info on a replacement and Toyota does not seem that interested in the enthusiast high performance market. I think they saw the last Supra as a failure or something to be ashamed of because it was not a success and they put alot of effort into it yet people chose corvettes, base 911s, luxury coupes, and giant SUVs over that great car. They even discounted it 10K the last year and it still did not jump start sales. With the legendary engine that powered the Supra discontinued and their success in passenger cars, pickups, SUVs, hybrids, luxury cars, Scion, they may not feel any need to build high performance cars for enthusiasts which most likely will not sell in big numbers. Toyota makes great everyday cars but for performance and enthusiasts vehicles they have nothing in their lineup of any interest and they are doing fine without it. This may hurt them in the future by ignoring this market or enthusiast base but right now they couldn't be doing any better.

I think someone high up at Toyota would have said they are definitely building a Supra replacement by now but most seem to say they don't have much interest in a replacement or are concentrating on other more profitable vehicles. Honda/Acura high ups said they were doing another NSX and even said it will have a v-10, Nissan/Infiniti execs have said they will be selling a GTR here and there have been several photos of them being tested as well as concepts and production like models shown. I have not seem any credible spy photos of any Supra replacements being tested nor have I seen any concept models of a replacement at autoshows, just credible photos and concepts of the exotic LFA which will definitely not be a Supra replacement as it will be a Lexus and most likely cost over 100K.

Even if there is a Supra replacement I doubt it will be anywhere near what the previous car was in how nice it was, tunable it was, competed with Porche 911s, Corvettes, Skylines, etc. This came at a high price and people did not want to pay that high price and a replacement will probrably be watered down to a certain price point. The new Supra will probrably not be built to compete with the higher end cars like the last one but be built to cost less and compete with the 350z, G35coupe, RX-8, S2000, Boxster, etc. Without its legendary overbuilt twin turbo inline six it will most likely just be based on a IS platform and come with a higher horsepower IS engine which is not going to be anywhere near as tunable or strong as the last Supra's powerplant. As for a v-8 that would be nice but it would put it into a high price bracket which is going to hurt sales and the jury is still out if the LS430-460, GS430 motor would make a very good all out high performance powerplant to compete with Corvettes, the new Skyline, 911s,M3s,etc. Styling is another thing and I doubt it will look as agressive as the last one and will most likely have a more modern 350Z, Audi TT,Solara,SC430 type stying which probrably won't look as nice or aggresive

It seems alot of other people on other boards have lost interest in a Supra replacment too and are looking toward other brands for performance enthusiasts cars. I would love for Toyota to come out with a aggressive exotic looking Supra replacement that had a small strong overbuilt highly tunable turbo v-8 putting out over 380hp and had a lexus grade interior that cost around 40-42K but it is very doubtful that would happen. If they do replace it which seems unlikely I think it is going to dissapoint fans of the previous model and not be anywhere near what the last one was due to pricing, hope I am wrong though. I doubt people want a hybrid v-6 for the next Supra either so I doubt that car is a Supra replacement but more of a MR2, Celica type replacement if they build it.
Old 03-06-06, 01:30 PM
saleem
Pole Position

Originally Posted by Overclocker

The way I see it, the LF-A is the evolution of the MKIV supra . The only way Toyota can sell a super sports car is under the LEXUS name to be profitable. Toyota has a brand image of reliability, quality and being affordable to the average consumer. A new 40 to 50k Sports car with a "supra" badge just does not make sense. When the MKIV came out, it was a huge gamble. Lexus name was not really established at the time, however Toyota had been around for many years on our side of the world. They could have have brought out the Supra under the LEXUS name but Lexus was all about "luxury" and there goal was to make a car better than the S class mercedes and the BMW's of the time. Over the course of time Lexus has successfully managed to do that. Beat the germans at there game, now its the time to take it up a notch as Emerill would say. I think the LF-A is going to stun to the super car world, you cannot say anything about the car till you see it in person. Its absoulutely stunning and I bet my pants that it will give most ferraris and porsches on the road a run for there money. To replace the "Supra" name in the Toyota lineup whatever car it maybe has to be "profitable" has to be practical and be mass produced to have the Toyota badge be slapped on it. So I think that a Toyota badged sports car thats being mentioned in this article will happen and that car with the camouflage above has the underpinnings, its only a matter of time till we see it in the flesh. I bet you that red photchop thats been running around the web and in latest road and track is of this car that autocar is refering to. So to sum up what im trying to say is, the supra name is dead there will be a better car that will come out under the Toyota name. Lexus is in the limelight with all there performance luxury cars and they are truly starting to blur the line between what is luxury and what is performance ? so Toyota= new sportscar definitely not supra and Lexus= LF-A .

Last edited by saleem; 03-06-06 at 01:48 PM.
Old 03-06-06, 01:34 PM
LexFather

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sho...ight=WANTANABE

Old 03-06-06, 01:51 PM
saleem
Pole Position

Yeah I read that article. They have something and it will be spectacular . I would bet on an affordable hybrid sports car . It would give the "Toyota" badge a HUGE wanted push for there image and also sell the idea of Hybrid technology to everyone around the globe.
Old 03-06-06, 02:52 PM
LexFather

Originally Posted by saleem
Yeah I read that article. They have something and it will be spectacular . I would bet on an affordable hybrid sports car . It would give the "Toyota" badge a HUGE wanted push for there image and also sell the idea of Hybrid technology to everyone around the globe.
I agree, I really think that would be something. Not the traditional sports car. I just hope it doesn't get too heavy with the batteries

Quick Reply: Autocar reports New Toyota Sports Car in the works with all wheel drive, midengined!