Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

2007 BMW 335i Coupe

Search this Thread

Old 03-05-06, 12:55 AM
Lexwang07

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default 2007 BMW 335i Coupe

The new 2007 BMW 335i coupe has 302 hp and 295 lb-ft of torque and breaks ground as the first turbocharged gasoline-powered BMW in decades.

BY MIKE DUSHANE
PHOTOGRAPHY BY CHRISTA LEHMANN/HIDDEN IMAGE
March 2006
The BMW 335i coupe that will appear later this year may look like nothing more than the latest chapter in the 3-series coupe book, but there are some radical changes under the skin. The 335i (the C goes away on this coupe as it did on the 650i for the 2006 model year) will have a 3.0-liter twin-turbo inline-six with piezoelectric direct injection. The symmetrical turbos are relatively small and each feed three cylinders. Power output is up only 47 hp over the normally aspirated version of the same 3.0-liter six found in the 330i, but BMW claims that turbo lag is all but avoided and — more importantly — peak torque increases 34 percent and is available from 1500 to 5800 rpm. BMW estimates that the twin-turbo setup gives the 335i's six the power and torque characteristics of a 4.0-liter V-8 with 10 percent less fuel consumption and 145 fewer pounds. BMW expects the 335i to shave more than half a second from the 330i's 0-to-60 time, which should put it in the low-five-second range — scarcely more than the outgoing E46 M3. The 335i is expected to carry a base price of approximately $42,000 when it goes on sale this summer. The 2008 M3 is expected to have a 400-hp naturally aspirated V-8 and cost $10,000 more.

Why, you ask, would BMW go to all the trouble of making this complex turbo engine when a V-8 would be a simpler and purer means to the same end? As worldwide petroleum reserves decline and prices go up, efficiency becomes paramount, even for performance and luxury vehicles. As worldwide emissions standards become increasingly strict, high-performance diesels — recently thought to be the next big thing — become less feasible. Mercedes-Benz also recently announced a piezoelectric direct-injection gasoline six which is naturally aspirated — for now. Dr. Thomas Weber, Mercedes-Benz's top engineering and development officer, confirms that turbocharged smaller-displacement engines are in Mercedes-Benz's near-term future as well. Turbos are here to stay.
Old 03-05-06, 07:23 AM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,499 Likes on 1,642 Posts

Very interesting post, especially as counterpoint to Lexus' hybrid strategy.

For lovers of the twin turbo Aristo this car ought to be well received!
Old 03-05-06, 10:02 AM
4TehNguyen
Lexus Fanatic

Received 51 Likes on 46 Posts

not a very good counter to a hybrid, hybrid makes more power and better mileage. I just cant help but think its an act of desperation having no hybrid technology, competitors outpowering you, etc
Old 03-05-06, 10:05 AM
TRDFantasy
Lexus Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

If the car will start at $42K, then all I have to say is wow. The IS350 will seem like a bargain in comparison

And I agree, this is hardly a counter-point to hybrids, as hybrids still get superior emissions and fuel economy.

Turbocharged engines (save possibly for the newest diesels) have never been known for great fuel economy, or exceptional emissions.
Old 03-05-06, 10:07 AM
STIG
Lexus Test Driver

eh starts at 42K and when you add options, it will come out at least 50K ? no thanks. i will stick with my IS350.
Old 03-05-06, 11:46 AM
rominl
exclusive matchup
Senior Moderator

Received 190 Likes on 148 Posts

cars are getting more and more expensive these days i guess. and finally twin turbo on the car? umm...... i miss NA
Old 03-05-06, 12:10 PM
TheRupp
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I agree with every point posted thus far, especially the price point. Loaded up, this thing will probably touch M3 territory, if it's starting in the low 50's
Old 03-05-06, 05:58 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by 4TehNguyen
not a very good counter to a hybrid, hybrid makes more power and better mileage. I just cant help but think its an act of desperation having no hybrid technology, competitors outpowering you, etc
Well I guess you're right since Lexus hasn't put hybrid into the IS which is the main competitor to the 3 series but I don't know where you get 'more power' with hybrid vs. a twin turbo engine.

I don't see BMW as desparate at all. Their sales are booming.
Old 03-05-06, 06:00 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by TRDFantasy
And I agree, this is hardly a counter-point to hybrids, as hybrids still get superior emissions and fuel economy.
Lower emissions, probably yes, but better fuel economy is unclear because there is no competitor to this 335i in a hybrid.
Old 03-05-06, 06:29 PM
LEXUS FAN!
Lead Lap

where's this article from?
Old 03-05-06, 06:30 PM
TRDFantasy
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
Lower emissions, probably yes, but better fuel economy is unclear because there is no competitor to this 335i in a hybrid.
I doubt that the 335i will get any better fuel economy than a 330i, so we will see.
Old 03-05-06, 06:31 PM
4TehNguyen
Lexus Fanatic

Received 51 Likes on 46 Posts

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
I don't see BMW as desparate at all. Their sales are booming.
so BMW just woke up one day and said "hey guys lets turbo the 3.0 i6, oh it doesnt matter that we havent had a USDM turbo car for many years and we'd have to violate a long tradition of N/A engines" That shows to me, in reaction to the IS350, that the N/A potential of their i6 engine is weakening hence instead of designing a new engine lets just put some direct injection and slap on a turbo as a quick fix, and well think of something later.

Last edited by 4TehNguyen; 03-05-06 at 06:44 PM.
Old 03-05-06, 07:03 PM
rai
Lead Lap

so BMW just woke up one day and said "hey guys lets turbo the 3.0 i6, oh it doesnt matter that we havent had a USDM turbo car for many years and we'd have to violate a long tradition of N/A engines" That shows to me, in reaction to the IS350, that the N/A potential of their i6 engine is weakening hence instead of designing a new engine lets just put some direct injection and slap on a turbo as a quick fix, and well think of something later.
The 3-series is still outselling the IS250/IS350 BIG TIME. So it's not like everyone stoped buying the 330i when the IS350 came out.

Also no one is mentioning the IS250 the 'sales leader' is behind the 325i in displacement, power and TQ. Basically all the arguments you have for the IS350 over the 330i then the 325i has over the IS250. So it seems as if Lexus wimped out on the sales leader or doesn't have an answer to the 325i. (They HAVE to put in the 3.0L from the GS300 - HAVE TO DO IT).

I've read how the IS has a small rear seat, smaller than the 3-series. IMO if you have a small rear seats you don't use them much so it's better to be a coupe (better looks etc..)

The 335i will be as powerful as the IS350, will be a coupe (IMO that's better for a small sporty car), will be able to get a manual tranny (IMO it's the best way to go with a 'sporty car').

the 335i will cost more than the IS350 for the same performance, so if you're on a budget the IS350 is better. But if you want a coupe (out of luck with the IS350). If you want a MT (out of luck with the IS350).

NOTE: this assumes there is no IS coupe. If/when Lexus bring out the IS coupe it's a different story. Also (IMO) Lexus needs a MT for the 350.

Last edited by rai; 03-05-06 at 07:14 PM.
Old 03-05-06, 08:11 PM
LexLaw
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by STIG
eh starts at 42K and when you add options, it will come out at least 50K ? no thanks. i will stick with my IS350.
That IS is becoming more and more beautiful by the day.
Old 03-05-06, 08:48 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Not at all. Their engine is 3.0L, not 3.5L so it's not surprising the IS350 gets more power than the 330i. They could have made it larger displacement - BMW has tons of experience at many displacement sizes. "Slapping a turbo on" is not trivial if you want the car to be reliable, pass emissions, meet all federal and state regs, etc. It would have been SIMPLER to increase the displacement I'd say but that would have meant another engine unless they dropped the 3.0 or some other engine.

As rai says, the IS250 is behind the 325i in power and both of those are the volume sellers so I don't think BMW is worried at all. PLUS, they have the M3 coming which will leave an IS350 WAAAAAY behind.

But hey, I'm not criticizing the IS - I really, really like it!!!! I'm just saying BMW is doing just fine.

Quick Reply: 2007 BMW 335i Coupe