Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Top Ten Vehicles Owned by Billionaires

Search this Thread

Old 03-02-06, 07:50 AM
Gojirra99
Super Moderator
Senior Moderator

Received 226 Likes on 153 Posts
Default Top Ten Vehicles Owned by Billionaires

Ferrari's, Lambo's, Bugatti & bimmers ? . . . Click Forbes link HERE

Last edited by Gojirra99; 03-02-06 at 07:56 AM.
Old 03-02-06, 08:03 AM
XeroK00L
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Forbes
Strangely, though, Ellison doesn’t drive a BMW as one might assume given that his company co-sponsors an America’s Cup team with the Bavarian company.
He does drive a 745Li to work from time to time.

I know, because I work for him.

Some of the billionaires are frugal as you see, but Larry definitely is not one of them haha. I have yet to see him drive his McLaren F1 to work though.

Last edited by XeroK00L; 03-02-06 at 08:06 AM.
Old 03-02-06, 08:10 AM
Leets
Lexus Champion

I always found it interesting when I worked up at MGM what type of cars you'd see the "ultra-rich" driving around in. Honda Accords were and Toyotas were what you'd always find in front of the homes most of us can only dream about.

I always find it amusing when I travel through less-than-favorable areas and see gaudy Escalades and H2s with 30" inch chrome. These people financially expletive themselves just so they can portray the image of being wealthy... when in actuallity, they could've spent 20k on a japanese sedan and looked exactly like most of the multi-millionaires I've seen driving.
Old 03-02-06, 08:57 AM
AJL0365
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Leets
I always found it interesting when I worked up at MGM what type of cars you'd see the "ultra-rich" driving around in. Honda Accords were and Toyotas were what you'd always find in front of the homes most of us can only dream about.

I always find it amusing when I travel through less-than-favorable areas and see gaudy Escalades and H2s with 30" inch chrome. These people financially expletive themselves just so they can portray the image of being wealthy... when in actuallity, they could've spent 20k on a japanese sedan and looked exactly like most of the multi-millionaires I've seen driving.

true, i do see that as well
Old 03-02-06, 09:08 AM
rominl
exclusive matchup
Senior Moderator

Received 190 Likes on 148 Posts

haha that's a funny list. i guess rolls-royce and auston martin won this time
Old 03-02-06, 10:15 AM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,494 Likes on 1,639 Posts

Originally Posted by Leets

Very true. Most 'ultra-rich' got that way by INVESTING and not SPENDING. The money spent by those not so well off on 'bling' could be a down payment on a house or buy some stocks.

Gets back to the pyramid of wealth people should build:
bottom level - emergency money for 'x' months of a rough patch (lost job, illness, etc.)
next level - long term savings for later in life
next level - money for more speculative/risky investments
top level - spending money for non-essentials

Many people only create the top level.
Old 03-02-06, 01:09 PM
dsnowgs4
Pole Position

This just shows that say simply that they love making money... (Or whatever) more than cars.

But what Forbes does not mention is the fact that these guys are tooling around in 150 million dollar Private Jets. Or that they own 150 purebread racing horses, and half of Wyoming. Oh wait that is Ted Turner.

If people are not home to drive a car, why spend money on them?!? They sit in Limo's most of the time anyhow...
Old 03-02-06, 01:20 PM
PhilipMSPT
Cycle Savant

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

If I was that rich, I wouldn't care what anyone thinks if I drove a V6 unicycle wearing nothing but a tutu and saran wrap cape.

That list was sooo useless. We want all those Billionaires to be drivings Bugattis and Maybachs!!!
Old 03-02-06, 02:49 PM
Lexwang07

William Bill Gates got Porsche 959 Comfort! That's rare Porsche import to America. Porsche investments built Porsche 959 Sport or Comfort! Porsche 959 my all time favorite Porsche past 17 years ago, and I had a die-hard model! Billionaires less car collections than Jay Leon! Weird. Jay Leon got one hundreds car collections in his warehouse! ***** rapper crazy! Spent money cars insane! Bill Gates Porsche fans!
Old 03-02-06, 03:15 PM
pvmike1
Lexus Champion

Received 5 Likes on 1 Post

I work for one who will only buy/drive Lexus LS430's. He tells everyone to buy Lexus. Smart man.
Old 03-02-06, 04:52 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

It is true that the super-rich sometimes drive humble vehicles. Although you won't find it on that list, perhaps the best example I can think of is Enzo Ferrari himself, the owner of one of the most exotic sports car and racing companies in the buisness, driving a Fiat 128 as his personal car......an entry-level Italian tin-box econocar. Though I obviously never met the man ( and only know a little Italian if I had ) my understanding of him was that he himself did not care for sports cars ( even his own Ferraris ) ......he looked at them as a buisness, not for personal driving or pleasure. That is why I always wondered why the company named the new Enzo for him after his death. I'm sure they wanted to honor his memory....but he himself could have cared less about a car like that from his own personal point of view, and I doubt if he would have actually wanted his own first name stuck on it had he still been alive to say so.

Fiat used to make quite a bit of this in its TV advertising years ago....before they pulled out of the American market. They would show a morning shot of the Ferrari Plant at Modena with this little white Fiat buzz-box driving up the hill and pulling up to his own reserved parking space ( of course ) and someone from the factory meeting the car and opening the little front door for him as a courtesy and saying " Bonjourno, Senor Ferrari "....Good morning in Italian
Old 03-02-06, 05:11 PM
Gojirra99
Super Moderator
Senior Moderator

Received 226 Likes on 153 Posts

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
Gets back to the pyramid of wealth people should build:
bottom level - emergency money for 'x' months of a rough patch (lost job, illness, etc.)
next level - long term savings for later in life
next level - money for more speculative/risky investments
top level - spending money for non-essentials
I agree 100 %, except they don't apply to the people listed in the article anymore. They can write a check for an enzo just like an average guy spend one cent. Some of them probably just aren't into cars, they probably indulge in some other stuff like yatchs, private jets, mansions all over the world etc. Nomatter how rich you are, the money doesn't really belong to you until you spend them on things that makes you happy.
Old 03-02-06, 05:35 PM
GFerg
Speaks French in Russian
Senior Moderator

Received 65 Likes on 50 Posts

Interesting list. I was expecting more lavish rides. But I still have to respect them.
Old 03-03-06, 03:30 AM
2ndchance
Pole Position

Originally Posted by Lexwang07
William Bill Gates got Porsche 959 Comfort! That's rare Porsche import to America. Porsche investments built Porsche 959 Sport or Comfort! Porsche 959 my all time favorite Porsche past 17 years ago, and I had a die-hard model! Billionaires less car collections than Jay Leon! Weird. Jay Leon got one hundreds car collections in his warehouse! ***** rapper crazy! Spent money cars insane! Bill Gates Porsche fans!
<insert Samuel Jackson 'English, do you speak it?' macro here>

ALLOW ME TO TRANSLATE:

Bill Gates has an incredibly comfortable Porsche 959! That is a rare Porsche in America. Porsche built the 959 for sport and comfort. It is my all time favorite Porsche vehicle, so much so that I owned a die cast model of it around 17 years ago! These billionaires have smaller car collections than Jay Leno. This is indeed strange. Jay Leno has hundreds of cars in his warehouse, putting to shame mere rap stars. The amount of money he has spent on cars is insane. To summarize: Bill Gates is a Porsche fan! Go Bill.
Old 03-03-06, 06:05 AM
Seize
Loves Snickerdoodles!

Received 68 Likes on 53 Posts
Default ...

Originally Posted by magneto112
Interesting list. I was expecting more lavish rides. But I still have to respect them.

Excatly

Quick Reply: Top Ten Vehicles Owned by Billionaires