Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Stupid VSC almost got me into accident.

Search this Thread

Old 03-01-06, 08:12 PM
Och
Lexus Champion

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts
Default Stupid VSC almost got me into accident.

And so, today I had to make a left turn from a driveway onto a busy street. There was never ending oncoming traffic in the lane I was turning into, so I just waited for an opening between cars that was large enough for me to cut into, and when I saw one I floored it. The stupid VSC kicked in and started cutting off the gas. This was freaking scary - I almost got T-boned and the car wouldn't move out of its way. I released the gas and stepped on it again, not as hard, and was fortunately able to make the turn, but from now on I will keep that stupid system off.
Old 03-01-06, 09:31 PM
TheRupp
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Och
And so, today I had to make a left turn from a driveway onto a busy street. There was never ending oncoming traffic in the lane I was turning into, so I just waited for an opening between cars that was large enough for me to cut into, and when I saw one I floored it. The stupid VSC kicked in and started cutting off the gas. This was freaking scary - I almost got T-boned and the car wouldn't move out of its way. I released the gas and stepped on it again, not as hard, and was fortunately able to make the turn, but from now on I will keep that stupid system off.
This happens quite frequently with traction control on my ES300. That system seems to cut the gas SEVERELY... it's pretty overactive imo. In fact, I don't really notice any difference with it on or off in snow driving (besides wheel slippage, but I'm talking acceleration). I barely, if ever, have it on anymore.
Old 03-01-06, 09:33 PM
LexFather

Thus, they created VDIM, a giant improvement. And VDIMII in the LS 460.

I don't like the VSC in the ES or RX either. But I have an AWD RX, so I don't ahve that issue

Old 03-01-06, 10:24 PM
STIG
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

that's pretty scary what happened to you .
Old 03-02-06, 03:10 AM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Received 110 Likes on 81 Posts

what car do you have again? If it is RWD, your might have lost control of your back without esp...
Old 03-02-06, 09:36 AM
XeroK00L
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by spwolf
what car do you have again? If it is RWD, your might have lost control of your back without esp...
Exactly! There's a good reason why the VSC kicked in in the first place--the car would've lost control and spun out if it didn't. Here's an idea: next time, don't "floor it" when you're making a turn. Physics simply don't work that way.

Last edited by XeroK00L; 03-02-06 at 09:49 AM.
Old 03-02-06, 09:55 AM
Initial B
Lead Lap

some of you guys belong on a Buick or Oldsmobile forum...
Old 03-02-06, 10:08 AM
XeroK00L
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by replica
some of you guys belong on a Buick or Oldsmobile forum...
So like, it's okay to power slide thru your turns on a public road? In case you didn't notice, you don't need to be a granny to practice safe driving.

And safe driving doesn't mean slow either. In the OP's case, even without VSC, he would've been able to complete his left turn FASTER if he did NOT "floor it" and make the wheel spin and the car fish-tail. Apply proper amount of throttle and the car will go in your intended path faster than if you floored it.
Originally Posted by Och
I released the gas and stepped on it again, not as hard, and was fortunately able to make the turn, but from now on I will keep that stupid system off.
See, Och, if you had done this in your first try, you would've completed your left turn much earlier already. Sorry to say, but you almost got yourself into an accident, not the "stupid" VSC.

Now do you still want the VSC off?

Last edited by XeroK00L; 03-02-06 at 10:38 AM.
Old 03-02-06, 11:32 AM
Och
Lexus Champion

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by XeroK00L
So like, it's okay to power slide thru your turns on a public road? In case you didn't notice, you don't need to be a granny to practice safe driving.

And safe driving doesn't mean slow either. In the OP's case, even without VSC, he would've been able to complete his left turn FASTER if he did NOT "floor it" and make the wheel spin and the car fish-tail. Apply proper amount of throttle and the car will go in your intended path faster than if you floored it. See, Och, if you had done this in your first try, you would've completed your left turn much earlier already. Sorry to say, but you almost got yourself into an accident, not the "stupid" VSC.

Now do you still want the VSC off?
Please, I was making the left turn from a standstill, I have nice tires and GS isnt making 600lb of torque to fish tail through the turn. If anything, it would just chirp the tires a bit. In any case, I'd rather keep the system off when trying to make quick maneurs.
Old 03-02-06, 11:38 AM
redzeppelin
Pole Position

That's happened to me in my es a while ago. I was in a gridlocked right lane and wanted to get to the third lane on the left. When I looked, I was clear for a few seconds, enough to make it without endangering anyone. So I got on it a little and BAM, traction control killed my power, I barely made it to the other lane.
Old 03-02-06, 11:52 AM
LexFather

Originally Posted by Och
Please, I was making the left turn from a standstill, I have nice tires and GS isnt making 600lb of torque to fish tail through the turn. If anything, it would just chirp the tires a bit. In any case, I'd rather keep the system off when trying to make quick maneurs.
Whoa, this was in a GS? I never had an issue with VSC in the GS, there was more than enough power to get me out of any situation. You really must have be doing something funny.

I will say the VSC in the lower hp, FWD cars, IMO, can cause an issue. Not in the GS. If anything, VSC saved my butt MANY times

but not the last one

Old 03-02-06, 11:52 AM
newr
Lexus Champion

hope this is not a stupid question.

If the VSC is controlled by the car computer, why can't Lexus update the solfware for the VSC so that it does not cuf off the gas as much?
Old 03-02-06, 12:09 PM
TheRupp
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by newr

If the VSC is controlled by the car computer, why can't Lexus update the solfware for the VSC so that it does not cuf off the gas as much?
It's not a stupid question. I've always been curious to this as well. It seems like when I slide on dry pavement I go to 0% throttle. I'm better off letting off the brake and coasting into traffic. If I slide in snow, it doesn't cut it off as much.
Old 03-02-06, 12:13 PM
LexFather

Originally Posted by newr

It has. It is called VDIM, its on the GS 430 and IS 350 and will be on more Lexi in the future. Even the newer VSC is not as intrusive

Old 03-02-06, 12:14 PM
TexasGS
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Anytime I would make a hard turn and accelerate, my VSC would come on. That drove me crazy. I just installed a 3.76 LSD and no more VSC . The car just hooks up like crazy. I now blast around every turn I can. If there is water in the corner and my wheels start to spin the VSC still does work but my car is sticking to the road a whole lot better now.

Quick Reply: Stupid VSC almost got me into accident.