Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

1SICKREVIEW!! 2006 Mercedes C240

Search this Thread

Old 03-01-06, 04:02 PM
LexFather

Thumbs down 1SICKREVIEW!! 2006 Mercedes C240

Big thanks to one of my girlfriends (no pics this time )

Now, this is about the Benz C240 but first a little background on how I got my hands on this model. One of my girlfriends purchased a new CLK 350 Saturday. As she knew I knew about cars, we have spoken often about this car for about 2 months now.

Well actually, we spoke about the CLK 320, the LAST gen, as that is the car she wanted.

You can probably see where this is going.

I school her on what she needs to say and do, to get the best deal. Negotiate the price. Don't buy the first car you see. Don't negotiate monthly terms. Look around, plenty of cars. Take your time. Etc etc

Well upon her FIRST visit to the dealer, she got herself in a conversation about monthly payements, next thing she knows, she has signed the papers for a CLK 350 that is somewhere in the Atlantic Ocean.

I mean, she didn't even get the color she wanted, she got black on beige, She wanted black on black. The salesmen told her, "we can't get that" so she got that instead. MIND YOU NEITHER CAR IS ON THE DAMN LOT!!!

Now again, she likes the looks of the CLK 320. We went over the CLk 350 but she didn't like it. But somehow, in person, she didn't even remember the damn 320. Crazy.

To make things nuttier, the salesman is married but has called her not about her car (it was supposed to be here yesterday, no sign of it yet) but about seeing her!!

To top things off, instead of bringing her the car, they told her when it comes, you can pick it up.

So in the meantime, she is driving a C240, since they took her Honda Accord as a trade-in (yes, ANOTHER girlfriend with a Honda). Well yesterday, she let me drive to lunch and then she let me whip it around so I could see what it was like by myself.
This is a little odd. As its a Mercedes, and people at work recognize it as a Mercdes. As a matter of fact, Benz Image is so great, this gal has just said "CLK 350" and no one knows what car she is talking about, but they hear "Mercedes" and the response is . So just saying Mercedes= , TONS of image. Even I am impressed.

Now when she has stated she is driving the C240, the response is much less favorable "oh the crappy Benz", "the small Benz", "I would never get that" and the tireless "people only get that because of the badge"

lol, her BOSS drives a C class!!!

So overall, Benz pretty much gets a 10 outta 10. Instantly recognizable. You say C-class, its a 8 outta 10. No image, but since people CAN recognze what it is, it keeps a high score.

Luxury
First, this is one small place to be in. Very cramped. So that kills some of the luxury feeling. Benz seems to have added chrome tidbits all over, kinda cool, but an obvious attempt to HIDE somehting. THe plastics, while better, still are pretty bad here. I would say barely better than the G35, which has some of the worst plastic in a luxury badged car. The wood was nice, dark grain and a supple amount. The stereo was awful, it sounded like my first boom box back in 1984. The gauges were easy to read, the radio controls took sometime to get used too but I like the fact, the buttons for the phone are used for the radio. I also like the backlight in the rear of hte car. Overall though, sitting inside, you do not get the feeling of "hey this is a Benz, a luxury car".
7 outta 10

Performance

There is none. Not only was any acceleration of handling WORSE than an ES 330, but it really just was awful PERIOD. For one, the damn steering feels heavy (Like a german car) but when you turn the wheel, the car takes 3 seconds to understand "oh crap, he's turning left". Its that bad. I almost thought something was broke. I like heavy steering but while the 330 has INSTANT reaction, the C-240 drove worse than a Town Car. BAAAAAD.
Throttle response was pathetic, but then, I think it only has 180hp or so, but even the heavier, only 204hp IS 250 was better. There was no pushback in the seat, this car is SLOW!
I am trying to figure out how a car so SMALL could drive so LARGE. I mean it was BAD.
5out of 10 stars
Gas
No conclusion, I didn't have this car long enough to give feedback.

Review/Conclusion

SO yes, as you can see, I think this car is pretty much garbage. Good things? Well, even after what 5 years, its a VERY good looking car. I even like the interior design, in the classic Benz look. I like the cook keyless fob, and when you unlock the doors, all the lights come on and on the outside, so does the fog lamps!! Pretty cool! Ottherwise, I can see NO reason to buy this car over ANY of the competiton. IF this car is around 32-35k, there is NO reason not to buy a
TL
IS
S60
G35
(Your car here)

Over this car. Mercedes should be ashamed, its not even tops in luxury. Clearly not ALL C-classes are this bad, the C350 has been well recieved and the C55 (or 32 or whatever they call it this time, 43?) is sweet.

C240

AVOID LIKE THE PLAUGE!!!

btw, CLK 350 review to come as soon as she gets her car

Old 03-01-06, 04:22 PM
XeroK00L
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Correct me if I'm wrong, Mike, but I believe there's no more "C240" for the model year 2006.

Perhaps you're reviewing the 2006 C230, or the 2005 C240?

Yes Benz still has tremendous image whether the cars are good or not. A buddy of mine who is a Benz nut drives a 2005 C230 (replacing his 2000 C230K) and he's never had problem picking up any girl as long as he shows up in his Benz.
Old 03-01-06, 04:30 PM
LexFather

Originally Posted by XeroK00L
Correct me if I'm wrong, Mike, but I believe there's no more "C240" for the model year 2006.

Perhaps you're reviewing the 2006 C230, or the 2005 C240?

Yes Benz still has tremendous image whether the cars are good or not. A buddy of mine who is a Benz nut drives a 2005 C230 (replacing his 2000 C230K) and he's never had problem picking up any girl as long as he shows up in his Benz.
Funny u said that but I double checked outside and looked, C240. It doesn't even have plates yet. weird then

Old 03-01-06, 06:05 PM
RX_330
Lexus Test Driver

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

The C240 is more of aluxury oriented sedan. Not a sporty, performance sedan. If you want something to compete with the IS, then look at the C230 K sedan, which is more sport oriented.

Now the space, it's a compact, entry-level sedan. What do you expect? And besides, the redesign is coming soon, and it might just be bigger.

But you are right about the response of the steering.
Old 03-01-06, 07:19 PM
marshmallo
Lexus Champion

This car is the ultimate "badge" buy. It's the Benz you intentionally want to
forget about.

If I won the lottery I'd get me an SL or a CL600
Old 03-01-06, 07:35 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,127 Likes on 1,379 Posts

Great review. I remember going in a friend's C240. I thought it had the image and some Mercedes unique touches but you're right, this was no performer.

You mentioned it wasn't big inside, but then neither is the new IS, although the front in the IS can be made decent for us tall guys but then the back is only good for amputees.
Old 03-01-06, 07:48 PM
SoCalSC4
Lexus Champion

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts

The Boss-man over here just picked up a new CLS 500, black on black.
He's had it a week and it's already been in for service twice...

Now he's in a loaner C-class with a huge "Mercedes Benz of Laguna Niguel" sign on the doors.
Nice... gotta love the CLS payment and getting to drive the dorky C-class.

The CLS pulled to the right and had a vibration. It turns out all the CLSs and most Mercedes 'go' to the right because the Germans can't admit that American roads are crowned (higher in the center), causing the cars to wander slightly to the right. "Crash bolts" were installed to increase caster on one side. The Technician told me that sometimes if this doesn't make the car go straight, they play with the steering pretensioner and tire pressure. Nice.

The tires were rebalanced and the vibration persists. My boss got in the car the other day and the AirMatic suspension decided to go into full lowrider mode, basically dumping the car. It looked cool, but rode like a dump truck. After a quick coffee stop, the car was restarted and everything was fine... but it did it again the next day.

No update on when he might have the car back....

I'm SO glad I have a five year old Lexus!
Old 03-01-06, 08:06 PM
Och
Lexus Champion

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Well, my brother has a 2002 C320, and I don't think it's all that bad. Yeah, the interior isnt great looking at all, materials aren't the best, but I'm gonna give it credit where it's due - its extremely solid like all MB, no rattles, vibrations or another little annoyances. I also find the front seats fairly spacious, but the problem is when I move the seat all the way backwards it moves way behind the front door and then my left hand is very uncomfortable because it doesn't get the proper arm rest.

I found radio/ac controls absolutely horrible, like all benz. The whole system is too busy and unnecessary complicated. After two years of ownership, my brother still hasn't managed to figure out how to set the damn clock. I couldn't figure it out either. I can say the same about my parent's S500 - the controls are just too damn horrible. I strongly believe that Lexus and Acura make the best controls and every other manufacturer should just freaking copy them.

The handling isn't anything to write home about, but I didn't think it was bad. If anything it's better than my GS430, and I didn't find the steering responce being that slow. Perhaps there is something wrong with the car your girlfriend is driving, if anything the 240 should handle even better than 320 because it's lighter.

As far at the engine goes, it's pretty damn quick, in fact very torquish and quick from 0-50, but after about 60mph it runs outa breath completely. High gearing perhaps?

And oh yeah, the stereo sucks, but it's not all that bad, certainly better than 3 series.

But like you said, it doesn't compare to TL, G35, IS, etc.
Old 03-01-06, 08:33 PM
OGS
Lead Lap

love the review!

When I got my current car, I drove it to work and people just thought was my SLK from last year that got all jacked up in an accident. How do you confuse a CL55 with a SLK230??? Anywhos...your avg joe doesn't care if its a C or a CL it's just a benz.

Personally, I don't hate the C class. Better off buying an IS, better bang for the buck...IMO

Last edited by OGS; 03-01-06 at 09:26 PM.
Old 03-01-06, 09:09 PM
LexFather

Originally Posted by OGS
love the review!

When I got my current car, I drove it to work and people just thought was my SLK from last year that got all jacked up in an accident. How do you confuse a CL55 with a SLK230??? Anywhos...your avg joe doesn't car if its a C or a CL it's just a benz.

Personally, I don't hate the C class. Better off buying an IS, better bang for the buck...IMO
And I don't hate the C-class either. This is my honest review. I loev the looks, I've stated that in many other threads. The interior doesn't bug me as much as the reviewers.

And let me clarify, I wasn't expecting this to drive like a sports sedan. It didn't even have the 17" wheels. I totally expected it to drive like an ES or something of that nature and it failed miserably. There is no reason, at ALL to buy this over an ES or a TL. None.

Old 03-01-06, 09:25 PM
TheRupp
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Remember though that this is a loaner car, so it's probably seen quite a few days of severe *** beatings.
Old 03-01-06, 09:32 PM
OGS
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by 1SICKLEX
And I don't hate the C-class either. This is my honest review. I loev the looks, I've stated that in many other threads. The interior doesn't bug me as much as the reviewers.

And let me clarify, I wasn't expecting this to drive like a sports sedan. It didn't even have the 17" wheels. I totally expected it to drive like an ES or something of that nature and it failed miserably. There is no reason, at ALL to buy this over an ES or a TL. None.
I hope I wasn't implying that you hated the C by your post, just have A LOT of people who dont like it....there are some people what would say the C class is just the Porsche Boxter, if you are going to buy a MB or Porsche buy the rear thing. Or the stupid saying that the NSX is a poor mans Ferrari.

IN NO WAY AM I IMPLYING THE ABOVE....

and FYI 1SICKLEX, you got some coo review!
Old 03-01-06, 09:41 PM
LexFather

Originally Posted by OGS
I hope I wasn't implying that you hated the C by your post, just have A LOT of people who dont like it....there are some people what would say the C class is just the Porsche Boxter, if you are going to buy a MB or Porsche buy the rear thing. Or the stupid saying that the NSX is a poor mans Ferrari.

IN NO WAY AM I IMPLYING THE ABOVE....

and FYI 1SICKLEX, you got some coo review!
Its cool mahn, I quoted you but wasn't really debating you.

Originally Posted by TheRupp
Remember though that this is a loaner car, so it's probably seen quite a few days of severe *** beatings.
It had 3000 miles.

Old 03-02-06, 04:56 PM
LexFather

Update.
she bought the car last Friday, they told her it would arrive Tuesday.

Its Thursday, no sign of the car.

On top of that, they have avoided her and when they do call, they have a rude and unapologetic attitude.

When she asked "what do I get for this inconvience" the salesman told her "I just filled your car up with gas"

Crazy, she is so heated right now, as they are treating her like garbage.

Old 03-02-06, 05:12 PM
Och
Lexus Champion

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Well, CLK is an ugly car anyway - tell her to get herself a G35c

Quick Reply: 1SICKREVIEW!! 2006 Mercedes C240