Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Honda Civic Type R ( New Spy Photo's Added )

Search this Thread

Old 02-28-06, 06:03 AM
Gojirra99
Super Moderator

Received 189 Likes on 130 Posts
Default Honda Civic Type R ( New Spy Photo's Added )

Text & Photos courtesy Honda Motor Corporation
02-28-2006

Superhatch with blistering performance

When Honda unveils a new sports concept there is always a sense of anticipation and the new Civic Type R is no exception. To please all its fans, Honda engineers have designed a 'superhatch' to deliver blistering performance from the same power output as the previous incarnation (200ps). The aggressive, lower and wider-looking body encases a new 2.0 litre engine and the model, built in Britain, will go on sale in early 2007 priced around £18K. Expect to see more 3 door versions at the London Motor Show in July.

Engineering
To meet the aims set by the philosophy, a different approach is taken during the design and development of a Type R. Therefore, each car possesses a special set of engineering qualities.

Normally aspirated
No bolting on of a turbocharger to give silly power figures. All Type R engines are normally-aspirated, which deliver smoother power delivery throughout the rev range, allowing power to be transferred through the chassis more easily, improving traction and acceleration.

Torsional rigidity
A stiffer chassis improves the handling of the car in terms of balance and adjustability. This makes for a more involving drive.

Simple technology
No traction control, stability control or four-wheel drive. Or indeed any other driver aids that can distance the driver from the experience. Instead, a Type R is based on clever, but simple engineering solutions rather than electronic gadgetry.

What is a Type R?
Background
The Type R name was introduced by Honda Motorcycles, where the letter R was added to conventional bike names to indicate a performance derivative. For example, the CB – a standard 4-cylinder across-the-frame bike – became the CB-R, a sporting model.

The first Type R
One of the earliest Type R cars was the Honda NSX-R, a stripped-down, lightweight version of the NSX supercar. This was developed in response to claims the NSX did not have enough power to compete with rival cars from Porsche and Ferrari. The key factor in this argument – and a point proved by the NSX-R – was the importance of the power to weight ratio.

The NSX-R epitomised Honda’s approach to creating high performance cars, and every subsequent Type R vehicle has been built to conform to certain principles. Each follows the Type R philosophy.

Philosophy
The Type R philosophy is not about building the most powerful, or fastest car in the world. It is about creating a car that provides a well-engineered, but exciting driving experience. To offer this, every Type R needs to have certain key characteristics:

Racing
An exhilarating driving experience similar to that felt when piloting a racing car.
Involvement
High levels of feedback and involvement in terms of sound, steering response and handling. The driver should feel part of the machine.
Not just speed
Going fast is part of the Type R experience, but not everything. The Type R should have above average levels of performance in gear change quality, braking, steering and handling.
Pure
The driving experience should not be diluted or interfered with by driving aids or sound proofing that could detract from the driver’s involvement.
Stripped-out
A Type R is not equipped with luxuries such as satellite navigation, hands-free telephones or leather upholstery. It should look and feel like a racing car.
Type R time-line
February 1992: NSX-R introduced. Weight is reduced by 120kg. Recaro seats and MOMO steering wheel fitted. Stiffer suspension adopted. Production limited to 1995 units.

September 1995: Honda announces the launch of the DC2 Integra Type-R. The Integra Type-R is powered by the B18C 1.8-litre DOHC VTEC engine, specifically developed for the Integra Type-R, with 200bhp at 8,000rpm. Standard equipment includes a helical LSD, sports suspension, a front lip spoiler, a rear spoiler, alloy wheels, a leather wrapped MOMO steering wheel, Recaro seats, and a titanium shift ****.

August 1997: The EK9 Civic Type-R is launched in Japan. It is powered by an exclusively-developed 1.6-litre DOHC VTEC B16B engine that makes 185bhp at 8,200rpm. The lightweight B16B engine features a new valve

system allowing higher engine speeds, reduced engine friction, improved breathing, and increased compression ratio. Main features of handling include increased body rigidity, reduced weight, sports suspension, torquesensitive helical LSD, sports-tuned ABS, and Bridgestone Potenza RE010 tyres.

Jan 1998: The Accord Type-R goes on sale in the UK, with a tweaked version of the H22A engine on board. In addition, the Accord Type-R boasts a limited-slip-diff, Recaro seats and a stiffer chassis.

July 2001: An updated version of the Integra Type-R (DC5) is launched for sale in Japan and USA. The special colour of Championship White celebrates Honda’s first victory in F1. The DC5 Integra Type-R is powered by the K20A 2.0-litre DOHC i-VTEC engine with 220bhp and a new 6-speed manual gearbox. The suspension adopts clever front suspension and reactive-link double wishbone rear suspension. The Integra Type-R is also equipped with Recaro front seats, a leather wrapped MOMO steering wheel, aluminium pedals, aluminium shift ****, exclusive aero parts and Brembo front brakes.

October 2001: A Type-R version of the 7th generation Civic is announced. It is built at Honda in the UK Manufacturing in Swindon, Wiltshire. The CTR – as it becomes known by enthusiasts – is powered by a 2.0-litre i-VTEC engine that produces 197bhp. The Civic Type-R goes on to sell over 35,000 units and pick up numerous Hot Hatch of the Year awards.

February 2006: An all-new Civic Type R, based on a three-door version of the 2006 Civic is unveiled at Geneva Motor Show.

source : worldcarfans
Old 02-28-06, 08:02 AM
PhilipMSPT
Cycle Savant

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Of the three major accidents where my family members were not at fault, all were caused by Honda Civic hatchbacks. I HATE THESE MONSTROSITIES!!! (Sorry, but I had to vent. Just looking at these remind me of all our accidents.)

Honda does a great job in designing these, but they are definately not my cup of coffee. Props to Honda if they sell hundreds of thousands, but Curses to Honda if these cars rear-end any of us again!!!
Old 02-28-06, 08:11 AM
Leets
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

In my opinion... another awesome pocket-rocket from Honda that us North Americans will never get to enjoy

... which in Philip's case is prolly a good thing.

Mean Civic + Inexperienced 16yr. old = totalled new IS

Old 02-28-06, 08:22 AM
PhilipMSPT
Cycle Savant

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Leets
... which in Philip's case is prolly a good thing.

Mean Civic + Inexperienced 16yr. old = totalled new IS

It's in the cards, man. I don't need to ask Dionne Warwick to figure that one out...
Old 02-28-06, 09:22 AM
GFerg
Speaks French in Russian

Received 58 Likes on 45 Posts

That thing looks ugly as hell. They can keep it in Europe.
Old 02-28-06, 09:39 AM
LexFather

Originally Posted by magneto112
Yes, is quite ugly but people will say "oh Honda takes risks".
This part, I do like
Simple technology
No traction control, stability control or four-wheel drive. Or indeed any other driver aids that can distance the driver from the experience. Instead, a Type R is based on clever, but simple engineering solutions rather than electronic gadgetry

I like that!!

Still though, a I-4 for 200hp. Wow, so exciting.

All in all though, I expect this car to be loved left and right in the Euro press for being back to basics and fun to drive. I wonder will a Type-R Euro Accord (our TSX) come next?

Old 02-28-06, 10:11 AM
Koma

+1
This thing is busted.
Old 02-28-06, 10:12 AM
Koma

Originally Posted by Koma
+1
This thing is busted.
In fact it reminds me of the VW Fast little thing painted yellow and stepped on.
Old 02-28-06, 10:29 AM
STIG
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

looks pretty ugly. SI looks much better
Old 02-28-06, 11:49 AM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Received 112 Likes on 83 Posts

Originally Posted by 1SICKLEX
Yes, is quite ugly but people will say "oh Honda takes risks".
This part, I do like
Simple technology
No traction control, stability control or four-wheel drive. Or indeed any other driver aids that can distance the driver from the experience. Instead, a Type R is based on clever, but simple engineering solutions rather than electronic gadgetry

I like that!!

Still though, a I-4 for 200hp. Wow, so exciting.

All in all though, I expect this car to be loved left and right in the Euro press for being back to basics and fun to drive. I wonder will a Type-R Euro Accord (our TSX) come next?
Few thoughts:
a. I love the way it looks. It looks great.
b. Torsion beam back suspension. Pretender? Old version had multilink. New Civic Hatch doesnt like european bumpy roads too much due to torsion beam.
c. In Europe, even the smallest cars are criticized for not having ESP. It is crazy that they did not want to have ESP in 2007, 200hp FWD vehicle. They could have always had off button.

It is priced more than before as well. New Civic hatch is now much better than before (except for suspension) but it is priced out of its league now. It seems that they are trying to compete with Audi A3 now.
Old 02-28-06, 12:06 PM
Lexmex
Super Moderator

Received 161 Likes on 137 Posts

This is just plain sad. I like the past Civic so much more more than this.
Old 02-28-06, 01:18 PM
wolverine
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

WOW riced out from factory.....
Old 02-28-06, 01:30 PM
Richie
Lexus Fanatic

Thanks G, I kind of like it
Old 02-28-06, 02:09 PM
TheRupp
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

It looks like it was designed using Sega Saturn with all the polygons.
Old 02-28-06, 06:41 PM
DASHOCKER
Lexus Fanatic

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

It's about time Honda brings forth the Type R to the U.S. But that design looks like the Pacer from the 70's.

Quick Reply: Honda Civic Type R ( New Spy Photo's Added )