Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

China's Chery Announces Five-Car Model Range

Search this Thread

Old 02-27-06, 08:51 AM
Gojirra99
Super Moderator

Received 189 Likes on 130 Posts
Default China's Chery Announces Five-Car Model Range

Four of Five cars have estimated MSRP of $19,000 USD

by Justin Couture, auto123.com / Canadian Auto Press (February 3, 2006)

Chery's Sedan, styled by Bertone, mimics styling by Mitsubishi and Opel. (Photo: Visionary Vehicles)

While the past few months have been bubbling with activity fromthe Chinese front, the latest news being that the region has become the world's number two vehicle producer, from 1.8 million units in 1999 to 3.2 million units in 2002 and 4 million in 2003 to 5.8 million last year, any news about Visionary Vehicles and its car-building partner Chery, the first automaker from China to announce its intentions towards the North American market, have been rather quiet; but for good reason. While Geely, a home-market competitor that has been basking in the glory as the first Chinese automaker to make itself present on North American soil at this year's NAIAS in Detroit, Chery has been working hard to create a product that actually stands a chance to sell come the brand's arrival in 2007.

Sedan to be powered by a V6 motor, 6-spd auto, and feature all-wheel drive. (Photo: Visionary Vehicles)

In the few official documents that have been released, Chery has shown photographs of its current range, which consists of a few, rather unimpressive vehicles, the vast majority of which are derived off of old technology, like the A11, a 'compact luxury sedan' based off of the old Seat Toledo (Mk.II VW Polo), or mechanical copies, such as the Chery QQ (Chevrolet Spark/Matiz). While the domestic Chinese market is comprised of mainly these sorts of vehicles, they simply won't cut it in the West, which is why, for its debut in 2007, under the guiding hand of major partner and U.S. distributor Malcolm Bricklin and Visionary Vehicles, Chery is set to launch an entirely new product lineup, designed and created from scratch.

Expect a stylish SUV like this to arrive for just under $22,000 CAD. (Photo: Visionary Vehicles)

In order to get a strong foothold in the United States, and to achieve its lofty first year goal of 250,000 units, a quarter million vehicles, and a full one million units a mere five years later, Chery's tactics are to build visually appealing vehicles that undercut the competition, not by thousands, but by $15,000 USD ($17,000 CAD) and more. According to initial information, almost every vehicle in the entire five-model lineup can be bought for $19,000 USD ($21,700 CAD), which is a bargain when compared to the rivals Chery is gunning for. Eventually, Chery will increase its range to a total of twenty different vehicles.

Big wheels, flared fenders and a bold, square grille give the SUV big road presence. (Photo: Visionary Vehicles)

Chery's first two models are a two-door coupe and a four-door sedan, which are pitched at the junior-executive market, rather than the traditional midsize segment. Instead of targeting the Hyundai Sonata or Toyota Camry, Chery is rushing headlong into battle with the Volvo S60, Audi A4 and Mercedes-Benz C-Class, at least on a feature-for-feature basis, while the Coupe will compete with the BMW 3-Series Coupe and Benz CLK. Both the Coupe and Sedan will be powered by a V6 engine coupled to a six-speed gearbox and all-wheel drive, all for $19,000 USD ($21,700 CAD) for the sedan, and an estimated $25,000 USD ($28,500 CAD) for the Coupe.

For the rest of us: a six or seven-seater crossover, similar to this B14 Concept Vehicle. (Photo: Visionary Vehicles)

But Chery isn't only targeting buyers of premium automobiles; they're going after the mainstream vehicles which North Americans simply can't get enough of - SUVs and crossovers. Chery hopes to have new vehicles in each of these key segments. Both the SUV and crossover will be powered by a V6 engine, will feature all-wheel drive and six-speed automatic gearboxes, and have an expected MSRP of $19,000 ($21,700 CAD). Benchmark competitors for the SUV include Lexus' RX 330, BMW's X3 and the Mercedes-Benz ML-Class, while the Crossover targets Chrysler's Pacifica, the Ford Edge/Lincoln MKX, as well as the Freestyle. It's been speculated that the Crossover will feature styling similar to the B14 Concept vehicle which was also shown at 2004 Shanghai Motor Show.

Chery's hardtop coupe-convertible is a real looker. Its styling was done by Pininfarina. (Photo: Visionary Vehicles)

The fifth vehicle, the proverbial 'Cherry on top' of the range, will bea sports convertible, designed and engineered by Italy's Pininfarina, famed for its many Ferrari designs. Chery describes the production model as being a 2+2 seater, similar to the M14 hardtop convertible which won the 'Best in Show' title at the Auto Shanghai 2004. The competition for this vehicle includes the new Pontiac G6 Convertible, Volvo C70 and Volkswagen Eos. Though details on the car's drivetrain have yet to be announced, the car is expected to start at around $19,000 USD ($21,700 CAD).

With pricing 30 percent below class average, and a 10-year warantee, Visionary should have no trouble selling a ton of Chery automobiles. (Photo: Visionary Vehicles)

To convey an image that Visionary Vehicles are unlike any other car maker, the brand has taken a completely different approach to selling its vehicles. Chery's products will be sold in autoshow-like facilities upwards of 20,000 square feet, featuring cars on rotating platforms, customer lounges, a drive-in theatre, and a track to conduct test drives on. Crucially, Chery will have a fixed-price, no-haggle scheme and will not have salespeople. And if the bargain-basement pricing and unique dealerships aren't enough to get buyers into the showroom, all Chery vehicles will be backed by a 10-year, 100,000 mile (160,000 km) warrantee to promote stress-free ownership.

source : automotive.mytelus.com
Old 02-27-06, 12:08 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 83 Likes on 82 Posts

Even if ( as I suspect ) like the first U.S.-market Korean products of 20 years ago these cars turn out to be junk, I still plan to review at least some of them when they become available locally. I'm tired of comparing apples and oranges.....it's time to compare apples and Cherys.

Last edited by mmarshall; 02-27-06 at 12:12 PM.
Old 02-27-06, 02:12 PM
BigVIPness
The Green Grundel

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

So china is coming to the US to undercut our companies and suck money back to china? I hope the US taxes the **** out of china for these. I may not like american cars but I definatly don't want to see any of them go. We should not be empowering the chinese so we can be crushed by them later. [/republican]
Old 02-27-06, 02:17 PM
LexFather

Goodbye 2nd and third tier luxury brands. Goodbye GM and Ford. Goodbye Mitsubishi. Goodbye Isuzu.

Farewell!!!

Old 02-27-06, 02:51 PM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Received 110 Likes on 81 Posts

Originally Posted by 1SICKLEX
Goodbye 2nd and third tier luxury brands. Goodbye GM and Ford. Goodbye Mitsubishi. Goodbye Isuzu.

Farewell!!!
I dont see anyone going anywhere. They think they can sell cars at 19k MSRP. Tough luck with that.

I dont quite get it - Chinese cars in China cost up to 3x less then when they get exported. We are seeing some Chinese SUV's in Europe now. Not half that bad, technology from early 90's, interiors from late 80's, but it would be all forgiven if they were really that cheap - yet, they end up being pricier than Koreans.

It is probably import companies trying to make big buck right away, but they will not sell at these prices. Why would you buy Chery rather than Sonata? Makes no sense at all.
Old 02-27-06, 02:54 PM
BigVIPness
The Green Grundel

It's no joke, I would bet we won't see 2010 mitsubishi or isuzu, as for Ford who still makes ho-hum cars and GM who is homogenizing their brands something needs to change or they are going to be in serious trouble. It is going to be interesting to see if the united states government bails out the automakers like they did the airlines.
Old 02-27-06, 03:50 PM
LexFather

Originally Posted by spwolf
I dont see anyone going anywhere. They think they can sell cars at 19k MSRP. Tough luck with that.

I dont quite get it - Chinese cars in China cost up to 3x less then when they get exported. We are seeing some Chinese SUV's in Europe now. Not half that bad, technology from early 90's, interiors from late 80's, but it would be all forgiven if they were really that cheap - yet, they end up being pricier than Koreans.

It is probably import companies trying to make big buck right away, but they will not sell at these prices. Why would you buy Chery rather than Sonata? Makes no sense at all.
1. Many auto companies are struggling.
2. Many have just recently revamped themselves but not 5 years ago, they totally sucked
3. China looks hungry, 250k a year the first year is a big deal.

Once they roll the dealers right, keep quality decent, they will offer packaging and I am sure take more risks since they can.

Basically, instead of screwing up the first 15 years like Hyundai and then becoming a serious player, imagine if they get it right from day 1, even CHEAPER than the Koreans.

Ouch, ouch, ouch.

the ONLY thing I can see stopping it, is some sort of National sentiment, enough is enough, America needs to stop buying all these foreign cars.

Old 02-27-06, 04:25 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

the ONLY thing I can see stopping it, is some sort of National sentiment, enough is enough, America needs to stop buying all these foreign cars.
How do you define " American " and " Foreign ", though, in today's global auto world? We have pondered this question many times on CL. Even the so-called " All-American " Ford Crown Vic police cars have a parts-content percentage that is more foreign-sourced than American. Conversely, traditionally " foreign " cars like Subaru, Toyota, Honda, and Nissan are increasing being built in America with American labor.
Old 02-27-06, 04:29 PM
LexFather

Originally Posted by mmarshall
How do you define " American " and " Foreign ", though, in today's global auto world? We have pondered this question many times on CL. Even the so-called " All-American " Ford Crown Vic police cars have a parts-content percentage that is more foreign-sourced than American. Conversely, traditionally " foreign " cars like Subaru, Toyota, Honda, and Nissan are increasing being built in America with American labor.
I thought that before I posted, kinda confusing. I don't think it would be an attack on all companies. Just some, I think Chinese and Korean cars would feel serious backlash.

Even though, now Hyundai, BMW, Benz, Toyota, Honda, nIssan etc have plants in America, many Americans don't know that.

I have a die-hard Camry buyer, who REFUSES to believe his car is built in Kentucky b/c it has no problems ever. He thinks its made in Japan. When I told him the first time its made in Kentucky, his head almost popped off

Old 02-27-06, 04:44 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

I
I have a die-hard Camry buyer, who REFUSES to believe his car is built in Kentucky b/c it has no problems ever. He thinks its made in Japan. When I told him the first time its made in Kentucky, his head almost popped off
Some ARE still built in Japanese plants, but the clear majority of those sold in the American market come from Georgetown. Tell him the easiest way to find out is to look either at the price sticker ( if he still has it ), the little plaque on the door jamb, or in the glove compartment.....it will be in one or more of those 3 places.

If the sticker or plaque clearly says Georgetown and he STILL refuses to believe it, well then, see if you can get him to join CAR CHAT. People like that need to get their heads out of the sand and learn something.
Old 02-27-06, 04:47 PM
C-Train
Lead Lap

is that the same company that made the suv whose test crash was ridiculously bad
Old 02-27-06, 04:48 PM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

1. Many auto companies are struggling.
2. Many have just recently revamped themselves but not 5 years ago, they totally sucked
3. China looks hungry, 250k a year the first year is a big deal.

Once they roll the dealers right, keep quality decent, they will offer packaging and I am sure take more risks since they can.

Basically, instead of screwing up the first 15 years like Hyundai and then becoming a serious player, imagine if they get it right from day 1, even CHEAPER than the Koreans.

Ouch, ouch, ouch.

how do you start being big at day 1? It doesnt happen that way. It is not an miracle, it is just a lot of hard work, year after year. Right now they are building crappy 4th world cars based on old licensed technology. In 2 years they are going to start building first world cars, with their own technology? That doesnt happen.
Old 02-27-06, 04:52 PM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

and another thing to note - Chery is one of the smallest Chinese manufacturers :-).
Old 02-27-06, 09:33 PM
bizzy928
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by IVXX
So china is coming to the US to undercut our companies and suck money back to china? I hope the US taxes the **** out of china for these. I may not like american cars but I definatly don't want to see any of them go. We should not be empowering the chinese so we can be crushed by them later. [/republican]
Say hi to your friend Globalization.
Old 02-27-06, 09:44 PM
Trexus

Received 38 Likes on 27 Posts

Farewell!!!
I agree, Isuzu should have been gone a long time ago. Will they ever make a comeback?

Quick Reply: China's Chery Announces Five-Car Model Range