Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

What's a good Daily Driver/Beater

Search this Thread

Old 02-27-06, 08:47 AM
plex
1UZFE/2JZGTE

Received 75 Likes on 58 Posts
Default What's a good Daily Driver/Beater

I need help in picking a daily driver/beater. I currently have a rodeo along with my SC(garage biatch) but the rodeo isn't doing it for me poor gas milage etc. I want something with decent space for groceries etc, low maintainance and excellent gas milage and somewhat decent on the rare occasion I do drive in or get caught in snow. Oh yea my budget is around 7K. I was thinking of the following:

Subie Wagons(Impreza, Legacy)
CRV, Rav4....
For some reason I like the body on the 94-97 Accord Wagons

I would actually rock the IS SportCross but I have no plans on having a payment..

mmarshall I know you're the man what do you recommend.
Old 02-27-06, 08:52 AM
Dx3
Lexus Fanatic

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Just don't get a 10mpg Expedition like I did!!

Jonny
Old 02-27-06, 09:18 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 83 Likes on 82 Posts

Of the vehicles you mention ( and they are all good suggestions ) the CRV has generally been the most reliable according to Consumer Reports, but it has a more complex AWD system than the Subies, and will be more difficult to repair if it DOES break down. Ditto for the RAV4...ultra-reliable but more complex than the Subies. The Subaru Impreza, Forester, and Outback Wagons are ideal for your needs. Their AWD systems are less complex than the Toyota and Honda systems because the horizontal H-4 and H-6 engines are mounted so that the output shaft goes straight back to the transmission, final drive, and front differential without the need for direction-turning bevel gears. The engine design also allows a lower center of gravity than the RAV4 / CRV for noticeably better handling without the tipsies. The non-turbo 2.5 H-4 burns regular fuel but is burdened by the heavy and drag-producing AWD system and is rather sluggish despite the 166-175 HP ratings. Gas mileage will generally run in the high teens to mid-20's...maybe a little more on long trips.
Subies in general are not quite as reliable as Toyotas and Hondas, but most are still well above average....and the AWD system is less complex to repair. But....a word of caution...if you look at Subies, especially older ones, ( you mentioned a $7000 limit ) get one with the 2.2L H-4 rather than the 2.5L. The 2.5L had significant head-gasket failure risk up to about the 2002-2003 model year. You will find a lot about this in Subaru forums. Newer ones seem to be much better. Subaru developed a special coolant additive for the 1999-2002 2.5L models that when used extends the factory engine warranty to 8 years / 100,000 miles. The 2.2L, in contrast, was virtually bulletproof with adequate care.

There are other choices as well. The Ford Escape AWD is not particularly reliable ( $7000 would probably buy a early model ) but it is pleasant to drive and steers and handles well by SUV standards. But the early ones were recall-plagued.......be sure the recalls were taken care of if you look at one. $7000 will also buy an older, ultra-reliable Toyota 4-Runner with a lot of miles on it but they are high and narrow, get the tipsies while cornering, and, being truck-based, ride stiffly and handle sluggishly.
Old 02-27-06, 09:20 AM
plex
1UZFE/2JZGTE

I was thinking of a 1st gen GS and 2nd gen ES also.
Old 02-27-06, 09:28 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 83 Likes on 82 Posts

Both excellent cars. The FWD ES would generally make a better winter daily driver than the RWD GS. The 3.0 V6-equipped ES300's though, had engines that would gel and cook the oil and self-destruct if not given regular oil changes....which was also true of the AWD RX300 ( probably a little out of your price range ). If you consider a car with this engine, make sure its service history is documented. The GS will handle a little more crisply than the ES...its RWD platform is more balanced and the suspension and tires are a little firmer.
Old 02-27-06, 06:21 PM
LexLaw
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Dx3

Jonny
Just think you could've bought an EXCURSION . But yeah I agree that the CRV is a good reliable beater. Good Luck Man
Old 02-27-06, 06:43 PM
JL22
Driver School Candidate

have you thought about the early-mid volvos? From what i hear, they're very reliable, nice cars.
Old 02-27-06, 06:45 PM
LexLaw
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by JL22
have you thought about the early-mid volvos? From what i hear, they're very reliable, nice cars.
You're joking right?
Old 02-27-06, 07:04 PM
JJG2005
Lead Lap

You can do like I did and stay with Lexus... I got a 97 ES300 in that price range a few months ago. Actually, I've decided to sell it for $7000 since I now have 5 cars

Camry reliability, with Lexus style, and interior... can't go wrong! People say it's just like a Camry, but VERY few parts are acutally the same... those that are will be a lot of the drivetrain, etc, which will help keep it extremely reliable and has cheap parts. I know the second I sell it I'm going to miss it, but I buy and sell cars so much that it just doesn't make sense for me to have so many perfectly running cars at once, it's gotten to the point where I have to start parking my cars at my office. Especially with spring coming up and the swapped SC300 about to hit the streets

Edit: This post was not made to convince you to buy mine, I didn't see that you were actually considering ES300's until just now. Mods please delete if necessary.

Last edited by JJG2005; 02-27-06 at 07:10 PM.
Old 02-27-06, 07:16 PM
plex
1UZFE/2JZGTE

*cough* send me a PM
Old 02-27-06, 09:17 PM
Stage3
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by Dx3

Jonny

THAT's your daily whip????? I thought that was your fun car.... CRIPES!!!
Old 02-27-06, 10:52 PM
Lexmex
Super Moderator

Received 161 Likes on 137 Posts

My beater down here in Mexico might wind up being a 70s Maverick. 30+ year old cars with proper classic plates can drive every day under our restrictions and I don't have to pay an federal tax (tenencia) just roughly $80 USD registration and $15 USD insurance.
Old 02-28-06, 05:02 AM
Coffey454
Rookie

An ES or a Camry is a perfect everyday car is all you want is a comfy cruiser that is decent on fuel. Personally I'd like an early '90's Benz 300 wagon for daily duty - when/ if the 'Rolla dies, I'll likely replace it with one of those - a 4Matic if I can find one...
The older RWD Volvo's are bullet proof - excellent cars. If you can get past the looks, then a 240 or 740 would be a great chioce still. Actually - an Audi A8 (1999 or older) is a great daily driver too - heavy on fuel but the resale is incredibly low right now (up here they are available for about 14 000 CDN) and they have the best reliability history of just about any Audi.
Old 02-28-06, 07:27 PM
JL22
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by LexLaw
You're joking right?
um, no. it was only a suggestion. i answered his question. sorry if i did anything wrong.
Old 02-28-06, 07:58 PM
tmf2004
5% Club. Killing it!!!

Received 63 Likes on 61 Posts

Yea a older ES or Camery would be good.. A nice grocery getter, good Gas milage and still a lexus/toyota so you know the maintance is good.. Let us know...

Quick Reply: What's a good Daily Driver/Beater