Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Ford to go Oldsmobile on Jaguar ?

Search this Thread

Old 02-25-06, 12:01 PM
Gojirra99
Super Moderator

Received 186 Likes on 127 Posts
Default Ford to go Oldsmobile on Jaguar ?

Posted Feb 25th 2006 12:00PM by Joel Arellano

Jaguar must “find a way to fund its own future or face the consequences."

That’s what Ford Motor Co. Chairman and CEO Bill Ford, Jr. told journalists in Detroit about Ford's “Big Cat." And the consequences? While the article didn’t state if Ford, Jr. was asked that question, a high level director did answer and said Blue Oval may put the luxury marque into “exit mode," either shutting it down or selling it.

Ford purchased Jaguar in 1989, and the brand is part of Ford’s Premier Auto Group (PAG) which includes Aston Martin and Volvo. But Jaguar’s S-Type, X-Type, and XJ sedans are among the lowest selling vehicles in PAG. Ford hasn't given up on the band just yet, having infused $2.1 billion last year after the brand lost $745 million in 2004.

Newly appointed Ford of Europe chairman Lewis Booth has thus embarked on an ambitious plan to preserve the Big Cat's remaining lives. Besides touting the new XK coupe (pictured) and convertible, Jaguar is planning to sell fewer but well-equipped vehicles, making Jags more exclusive. This is similar to Porsche, whose vehicles make the highest profit per each one sold.

Other changes include updating Jaguar’s manufacturing facilities and modernizing its models’ sheet-metal.

With Jaguar's rich heritage and evocative design language, it's been frustrating for company officials and marque afficianados to see the Big Cat falter so badly for so many years. It is hard to see the Blue Oval shuttering the brand, but we wouldn't rule out Dearborn eventually seeking out a suitor if the latest capital infusion fails.

see also Sydney Morning News Article

source : autoblog.com
Old 02-25-06, 12:32 PM
TheRupp
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Should've sold it to Ghosn. Being in business with lower quality vehicles is better than not being in business at all.
Old 02-25-06, 12:50 PM
RON430
Lexus Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Business is business. If Ford can't make Jaguar profitable, they need to sell it. If no one can make Jaguar profitable, it needs to go bye bye. The clock has been running on Jaguar, and most of the British car makers, for some time. Foreign owners ( that is somebody else's subsidy) is not enough if the product has no customers.
Old 02-25-06, 01:28 PM
picus
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by TheRupp
Should've sold it to Ghosn. Being in business with lower quality vehicles is better than not being in business at all.
Jag isn't exactly making the highest quality vehicles right now.
Old 02-25-06, 09:55 PM
LexLaw
Lexus Champion

LMAO...or 10 years ago.
Old 02-26-06, 01:36 AM
GFerg
Speaks French in Russian

Received 55 Likes on 43 Posts

they will be alright. The problem started when Ford tried to make Jag a mass manufacturer. They are not and will never be. They even said themselves that they need to go back to building exclusive cars. If they maintain this new focus, then they shouldnt have much of a problem. Plus the new XK seems to get a lot of attention now. That is one incredibly beautiful car.
Old 02-26-06, 01:55 AM
xknowonex
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

A domestic auto maker killing a good name
Old 02-26-06, 09:19 AM
LexFather

What the hell is wrong with the U.K. THe don't own ANY of their cars do they? All owned by someone else. And ROVER, just went out of business.

But they are quick to JUDGE cars and talk about them, lmao at Clarkson and co.

Maybe they should start building the cars, instead of judging them.

I'll have my fix Jag plan soon

Old 02-26-06, 04:28 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 83 Likes on 82 Posts

Originally Posted by TheRupp
Look at a 4-5 year-old Altima or some other Nissan products, especially the interiors, and you just might change your mind. Even the fun-to-drive 350Z was C-H-E-A-P.
Old 02-26-06, 04:55 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 83 Likes on 82 Posts

I agree that Jag has poor sales and is not profitable but I honestly don't see why. IMO the company deserves a lot more than it is getting. Yes, the XK's front grille looks too much like a Taurus, but with that one exception they build......and have built for many decades.......some of the most beautiful and interesting cars on the planet. Just about every every auto test of the XJ sedan has remarked on what a wonderful cruiser it is....especially the Vanden Plas. Jag persisted with REAL chrome, REAL leather , and REAL wood long after a lot of other companies tossed out the good stuff and started giving us cheap plastic with just a surface coat of glitz on it...and a not well-applied one at that. The X-Class, while not particularly reliable, comes with standard AWD....what other entry-level luxury car can say the same? Even the Audi A4 does not have Quattro standard. Ditto the new Lexus IS250...it is an option.

What really worries me here ( and I agree with magneto112 ) that Ford is making it worse by moving away from Jag's tradition and trying to make it a mass-market car. Ford was warned about this when they bought the company in 1989. Ford, at first, allowed Jaguar to be Jaguar....and the company WAS successful in the 1990's, especially the middle part of the decade. But Jag is NOT a mass-market car.....just as GM is learning whan it tried to do the same thing with Saab. I honestly think more people would buy Jags, though, if they didn't have such reputations ( some deserved, some not ) for reliability problems.
Now, however, we are starting to see on some new Jags, instead of wood and Connally leather, instead, with brushed-metal interiors, Ford hardware, and cheap cowhides. This, IMO is going to ruin the brand......and virtually insure that it WILL be another Oldsmobile.

( The J-Gate shifter, though, CAN go.......may it RIP )
Old 02-26-06, 05:12 PM
sha4000
Lexus Test Driver

Received 334 Likes on 288 Posts

Originally Posted by mmarshall
Look at a 4-5 year-old Altima or some other Nissan products, especially the interiors, and you just might change your mind. Even the fun-to-drive 350Z was C-H-E-A-P.
so true, my sons mother has a 02 g20 and the interior is a mess , CHEAPPPPPPP
Old 02-27-06, 03:55 PM
LexFather

I agree that Jag has poor sales and is not profitable but I honestly don't see why. IMO the company deserves a lot more than it is getting. Yes, the XK's front grille looks too much like a Taurus, but with that one exception they build......and have built for many decades.......some of the most beautiful and interesting cars on the planet. Just about every every auto test of the XJ sedan has remarked on what a wonderful cruiser it is....especially the Vanden Plas. Jag persisted with REAL chrome, REAL leather , and REAL wood long after a lot of other companies tossed out the good stuff and started giving us cheap plastic with just a surface coat of glitz on it...and a not well-applied one at that. The X-Class, while not particularly reliable, comes with standard AWD....what other entry-level luxury car can say the same? Even the Audi A4 does not have Quattro standard. Ditto the new Lexus IS250...it is an option.

What really worries me here ( and I agree with magneto112 ) that Ford is making it worse by moving away from Jag's tradition and trying to make it a mass-market car. Ford was warned about this when they bought the company in 1989. Ford, at first, allowed Jaguar to be Jaguar....and the company WAS successful in the 1990's, especially the middle part of the decade. But Jag is NOT a mass-market car.....just as GM is learning whan it tried to do the same thing with Saab. I honestly think more people would buy Jags, though, if they didn't have such reputations ( some deserved, some not ) for reliability problems.
Now, however, we are starting to see on some new Jags, instead of wood and Connally leather, instead, with brushed-metal interiors, Ford hardware, and cheap cowhides. This, IMO is going to ruin the brand......and virtually insure that it WILL be another Oldsmobile.

( The J-Gate shifter, though, CAN go.......may it RIP )
Yeah, Jags still get overlooked, more so now than ever before. Very sad. It seems we rather not be interested in weight savings but just add more unusable power to cars.

Old 02-27-06, 05:49 PM
RON430
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by 1SICKLEX
Yeah, Jags still get overlooked, more so now than ever before. Very sad. It seems we rather not be interested in weight savings but just add more unusable power to cars.
Hey, let's not forget that it's a jungle out there. And Jaguar is going to need more than their hood ornament. What hurts Jag more than anything is a lot of competition that really just does it better. I have no great love for Ford and I don't think they have the skill set to turn Jag around, but I am not sure anyone can. I am also not sure they could ever stand on their own in todays market. Sill, a pity.
Old 02-27-06, 05:55 PM
LexFather

Originally Posted by RON430
Hey, let's not forget that it's a jungle out there. And Jaguar is going to need more than their hood ornament. What hurts Jag more than anything is a lot of competition that really just does it better. I have no great love for Ford and I don't think they have the skill set to turn Jag around, but I am not sure anyone can. I am also not sure they could ever stand on their own in todays market. Sill, a pity.
Yeah, your right there. Jag needs to try harder and not think people are going to buy b/c of the badge, that is a luxury they do not have.

Old 02-27-06, 06:04 PM
Falcon LS
Lead Lap

I couldn't agree more.

Quick Reply: Ford to go Oldsmobile on Jaguar ?