Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Edmunds Top 10 Best Vehicles for Seniors in 2006

Search this Thread

Old 02-25-06, 06:13 AM
Gojirra99
Super Moderator

Received 189 Likes on 130 Posts
Wink Edmunds Top 10 Best Vehicles for Seniors in 2006

By Warren Clarke

Those glints of gray make it official: We're getting older. Not just individually, but as a nation.

According to information compiled by the Center for Disease Control (CDC), the 65-and-older age group is the fastest growing segment of the population. There are currently over 19.9 million older licensed drivers, a figure that represents over 10 percent of all licensed drivers. And this number is expected to grow. It's estimated that more than 40 million seniors will be licensed drivers by 2020.

Seniors have their own unique and varied set of needs when it comes to vehicles. The CDC reports that more than 60 percent of adults age 65 and over suffer from some "difficulty in physical functioning." Accordingly, choosing a vehicle that properly caters to each driver's specific challenges can make a big difference in overall comfort and, indeed, safety.

So which vehicles should car-buying seniors place at the top of their list? We've evaluated vehicles on the basis of senior-friendly features, as well as overall quality and performance. Here are our 10 favorites:

1. Toyota Avalon: Prized for its roominess, the full-size sedan has long been a favorite of seniors. Our recent full-size sedan comparison test proved the stately Avalon is the best of the bunch. Its 280-horsepower V6 offers brisk, responsive acceleration, with smooth, quiet power delivery. Its cabin is roomy and luxurious, and a near flat floor in the rear allows three adults to sit in comfort. Materials quality is nothing short of Lexus-grade. Senior-friendly features include a standard tilt-and-telescoping steering wheel that makes it easy for drivers to optimize their seating position, and available heated power driver and passenger seats that cater to aching backs. According to statistics put forth by the CDC, over 26 percent of all adults over the age of 65 "have difficulty grasping." Those faced with this challenge will cheer the Avalon's keyless ignition. It allows drivers to start the engine without inserting and twisting a key in the ignition; instead, the engine is activated merely by touching a button, with the key fob remaining in the driver's pocket or purse.

2. Ford Five Hundred: Though its 206-hp engine comes up a bit short relative to the competition, the Five Hundred offers a smooth, pleasant ride; you'll be impressed at how nimble this large cruiser is around corners. It also offers a tall seating position, facilitating easy entry and exit for those whose physical challenges make stooping and bending painful. A heated, power-adjustable driver seat with memorized settings for two drivers is standard, and adjustable pedals and rear parking sensors are available. "A backup sensor is a valuable tool, since people's depth perception begins to suffer with age," reports AAA spokesperson Paul Gonzales. Last but not least, the Five Hundred's trunk — which offers 21 cubic feet of storage — is the largest in its class, making the transportation of walkers, scooters and other mobility equipment a snap. If you like what the Five Hundred offers but want a slightly different look, consider its twin, the Mercury Montego.

3. Toyota Prius: "Arthritis is the No. 1 cause of disability in this country," reports Marcy O'Koon-Moss, editor in chief of Arthritis Today magazine. "There are 43 million people with doctor-diagnosed arthritis, and another 23 million with chronic joint symptoms." The group hit hardest by this disease is seniors. The CDC reports that over 50 percent of men and over 40 percent of women age 65 and over are afflicted. The Prius has features designed to make life easier for those who face this challenge. Those with arthritis in the hands and wrists will be grateful for the car's buttonless, easy-to-move shifter; available keyless ignition system; and available touchscreen controls. Additionally, an optional voice command system permits voice control of features ranging from temperature adjustment to Bluetooth cell phone dialing. An available backup camera display makes parking easier, reducing the driver's need to twist and turn (a potentially painful undertaking for those with arthritis of the neck or spine) for a rearward view. And everyone will appreciate this hybrid's excellent fuel economy. It's rated 60 mpg city and 51 mpg highway (though real-world mileage is typically in the mid-40s).

4. BMW 7 Series: A full-size luxury sedan, the BMW 7 Series comes drenched in equal measures of luxury and performance. Interior furnishings are plush, and a duo of available engines (a 360-hp V8 and a 438-hp V12) give the car abundant power. According to Arthritis Today's O'Koon-Moss, results from a poll taken by the magazine indicate that arthritis sufferers view adjustable seating as being "essential" for drivers living with the condition. For those who can afford the price of admission, the 7 Series fills this need magnificently, with optional heated 20-way adjustable front seats guaranteed to soothe even the sorest backs. Those traveling in the rear need not miss out on the comfort; heated power rear seats are also available. Like the Prius, the 7 Series features a shifter that's buttonless and remarkably easy to maneuver. Some drivers find the car's iDrive system a challenge to decipher initially, but it offers touchscreen controls that are a boon to those challenged with arthritis of the hands and wrists. Front and rear parking sensors are also available.

5. Toyota Sienna: If you're the kind of golden ager who's forever transporting a gaggle of grandkids or driving a posse of friends to the bingo hall, you'll appreciate the roomy Sienna. Available in seven- and eight-passenger seating configurations, this minivan totes multitudes — and it does so in style, thanks to surprisingly upscale accommodations. Senior-friendly features include an available rear backup camera. Best of all, the Sienna allows even seniors with significant mobility challenges to buckle up and drive. Its available Mobility Upgrade Package includes hand controls and a wheelchair/scooter lift.

6. Pontiac Montana SV6: Are you a senior with a partner who has difficulty entering and exiting a vehicle? If so, you'll both rave over the Montana SV6. This minivan permits those riding shotgun to enter and leave the vehicle with minimum bother, thanks to an available Sit-N-Lift power seat that allows the right-side second-row passenger seat to be extended and lowered. Wheelchairs and scooters are easily accommodated thanks to a Mobility Prep option, which features split-folding bench seats in the third row and deleted second-row seats. Other senior-friendly options include rear parking assist and heated seats. For optimum driving thrills, we recommend equipping the Montana with the optional 3.9-liter V6.

7. Buick Lucerne: One sedan gets listed time and again as a favorite of seniors and those with arthritis: Buick's LeSabre. "The LeSabre is a clear favorite among our readers," notes O'Koon-Moss. The LeSabre has been discontinued this year, but fear not; seniors will find plenty to love in its replacement, the 2006 Buick Lucerne. The full-size sedan — which seats six — betters its predecessor in almost every aspect, offering a noiseless ride, agile handling for its size and incredibly supportive seating. Options like heated and cooled seats and rear park assist are tailor-made for older drivers (though features like a telescoping steering wheel and adjustable pedals are a no-show).

8. Honda Civic: The Civic offers a low-cost, no-hassle ownership experience that seniors will no doubt appreciate. Its excellent reputation in this regard has helped this Honda distinguish itself as an Edmunds.com Used Car Best Bet. Additionally, its compact size makes it a good choice for those who want a car that's easy to maneuver and park in urban areas. Senior-friendly features include a standard adjustable driver seat and tilt-and-telescopic steering wheel. Beyond this, the Civic offers a comfortable ride, easy handling and a winning combination of power and fuel economy from its assortment of engines. "Green" seniors will want the Civic hybrid, which boasts ultralow emissions and an EPA rating of 50 mpg city/ 50 mpg highway.

9. Audi A8: The A8's interior is a Mecca for those who worship luxury. Wood and leather are in abundance, and the look is one of understated elegance. Audi's flagship sedan comes loaded with features designed to keep seniors smiling. Its Multi-Media Interface allows drivers to control everything from the navigation system to the car's air suspension with a simple-to-use **** and four large buttons. Keyless startup is available, along with ventilated/massaging front seats, seat heaters and four-way lumbar for all passengers. Best of all, superb handling makes the A8 feel more like a sporty sedan than a king-sized cruiser.

10. Chrysler 300: Think full-size sedans are stodgy? The 300 will change your mind; with its sleek lines and singular front fascia, this Chrysler has a look that's both edgy and elegant. The car's standard features list includes senior-coddling goodies like a tilt-and-telescoping steering wheel and an eight-way-power driver seat. Power-adjustable pedals are available as an option. And best of all, when equipped with an available 340-hp V8, the 300 offers loads of fun behind the wheel, responding with an eagerness that'll leave even the most grizzled driver grinning like a pedal-happy teen. One caveat: Although the 300 is roomy and comfortable, seniors of shorter stature may find visibility problematic, due to the car's high beltline and short glass area. Make sure you try before you buy.
Old 02-25-06, 07:01 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 83 Likes on 82 Posts

I have reviewed and test-driven many of these vehicles. I don't agree with much of this list. I won't go into a long description why on each car, ( a short one will do ) but in general the Buick Lucerne and Chrysler 300, and Pontiac Montana are poorly built with cheap materials ( though the Montana has shown some improvement lately ), the BMW 7-series and A8 are too complex electronically for many aging people (and may be unreliable as well ), and the Honda Civic, while well-built, inexpensive, and economical, does well in crash tests against solid objects and other vehicles its own size, but would be a coffin in an accident with a much larger vehicle.
I generally agree with the Avalon, Five Hundred / Montego, and Sienna. The Avalon needs little explanation, though I am not impressed with the interior design. The Five Hundered is built better than many other domestics and offers AWD capability. Ditto for the Sienna. I'm undecided on the Prius, though. It's well-built, economical, and roomy for its size, but it is also on the small size in a crash with larger vehicles, complex and difficult to repair after the warranty is gone, and quite expensive for what you actually get. A similiar-size Corolla, IMO, would be much cheaper and just as reliable....and you can buy a lot of gas for the price difference between a Corolla and Prius.

( BTW, for well-heeled seniors, I would add the Lexus LS430 to the recommended list. It is tomb-quiet, smooth, roomy, reliable, and less complex electronically than the 7-series or A8, though it doesn't offer the A8's AWD capability. The Subaru L.L. Bean Outback and VDC is also a good buy for seniors in snowy climes ).

Last edited by mmarshall; 02-26-06 at 11:25 AM.
Old 02-25-06, 08:46 AM
Lil4X
Out of Warranty

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Edmund's needs to consult a few real seniors before they produce such articles. I don't see keyless ignitions and power tilt and telescope steering wheels as serious advantages for an older driver. Look, if Granny's so impaired as not to be able to twist the key, what business does she have behind the wheel in the first place? Let's work on the vehicles and options that will really serve the needs of active seniors.

I'd agree that small vehicles are not necessarily well suited to seniors. Visibility and crash protection are more critical as we age, and the difficulty of the squat-thrust entry to a Civic and similar low-slung compact sedans relegate them to the bottom of the wish list. For me, small SUV/wagons like the Subaru, or mid-sized pickups for the more rough-and-ready types represent economical transportation for Grandpa on a fixed income.

With more leisure time available, a growing number of seniors are involved in touring, hobbies, and outdoor activities. Minivans and mid-range SUVs are practical and comfortable conveyances for active seniors who are spending more of their time on the road.

Mid-sized sedans provide great visibility, and some of the upscale sedans can provide comfortable, safe, reliable transport - along with a number of well-considered amenities like seat heaters - not just warmth, but therapy for overtaxed backs. Navigation systems can be helpful to seniors - on anyone else traveling on unfamiliar roads. Sadly, many of our elders are not "technology literate", and many of the latest innovations, no matter how helpful, may not be practical for them. Voice command, while on the surface a great help, I'm afraid would only be deeply confusing to the technically challenged.

Big tow vehicles for campers, or motorhomes are great ideas for Grandma and Grandpa to see the world while taking their home with them - and to those who pursue this "alternate lifestyle", a tip of my hat. At some point, most of these folks find that RVing involves a LOT of manual labor and maintenance. Ever try to just WASH a 30-foot motorhome? (Hint: It begins with an extension ladder to climb up on top and scrub down the roof . . .) Forget servicing brakes or changing a 200 lb tire. Thirty minutes struggling to level the vehicle, hook up water, power, and sewage connections, plus telephone and cable TV in some parks is tough work at the end of a long day on the road. Reversing this process before heading out in the morning doesn't really contribute to that "easy, carefree" image portrayed in the RV brochures either. It doesn’t take long to decide a small "pup trailer" or a small pickup camper, good for overnight stays, lets you spend most nights in a full service motel . . . with a REAL shower.

As the "boomers" near retirement age, automakers are recognizing this market - many "empty nesters" with more disposable income - and are beginning to take a second look at specifically designed packages - if not entire vehicles that target their special needs.

Last edited by Lil4X; 02-25-06 at 09:07 AM.
Old 02-25-06, 09:47 AM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Received 111 Likes on 82 Posts

7 series for seniors? My pops is only 60-something, and he wouldnt know how to operate the damn thing. I have found that most over 50 drivers have though time at understanding how to get trip computer to work in our Toyota's (hint: it is only one button to press and thats it)..
Old 02-25-06, 10:44 AM
GS3Tek

Received 163 Likes on 124 Posts

I agree with everyone.
Seniors don't need a fast car filled with complicated electronic gadgets.
They barely drive over 40 on local traffic and over 50 on freeway.
7 series should not be on that list. The LS should be. Buttons are much easier to use.
Remember that all of these neat gadgets were not featured way back then also.

Maybe something that is more automatic featured-excuse me mmarshall like blinkers turning off after 1 min or after 30 blinks...I don't know the exact #.
Seats that are higher where even the shortest driver can see over the dash/steering and I can see the driver and not their knuckles...hence more adjustable foot pedal.
The lane departure incorporated somehow would be nice for those lane changes without signaling or looking over
How about more safety features regarding stepping on the gas rather than the brake.

This is all true speculation and not poking fun of the seniors out there.
OK, I think I'm a little way off topic here.
Old 02-25-06, 12:54 PM
XeroK00L
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Why is the 7-Series on the list? Does Edmunds really expect the seniors to be able to learn and use that unnecessarily complicated i-Drive thing?
Old 02-25-06, 01:09 PM
RON430
Lexus Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I wouldn't underestimate some seniors desire to have more horsepower than they can handle, that isn't just limited to the twenty somethings out there. But this list smacks of the typical media drive to sell recommendations to the highest bidder or advertiser. I am not saying that some of the vehicles on that list wouldn't make that list on their own merits but I have to assume that several of them bought their way on. I am not sure there is anything more important to seniors than entry/exit ease unless maybe it's good visibility for driving in tight quarters. I didn't see that mentioned much at all although I did read the list quickly. The 7 series is a nightmare for seniors. Let's be honest, young techno geeks, all the 40 somethings that have moved back in with Mom and Dad and play X box in the basement, love to make the shiny lights blink and probably find the part of the world that doesn't care for i drive to be troglodites. But seniors want to get in a car, start it, and drive, not earn an advanced degree from bimmer u. I find the 7 to be annoying in the extreme and outward visibility is better than some cars, but not anywhere near the best. Avalon is a pretty good choice, but so is the Camry. The extra room in the Avalon isn't in the front. I guess I could go on, but you get the idea.

I wonder how old the guy is who put the story together. I know that you don't have to have an ounce of sense to be able to right auto reviews and that the articles are always reviewed by just as incompetent editors but occasionally it helps to have a senior write an article about seniors. Kind of like getting a review of a luxury car written by a guy who actually goes out and lays down his own money to buy one of the models. It is easy to be detached when someone gives you a car for a couple of weeks to get an opinion. But off the soapbox. I just don't think much of this list. Not sure I have ever had too high an opinion of Edmunds but this one just looks like something to get an internet headline. Personally, I would not make a purchase decision on a car based on On Star availability but seniors, especially widows and widowers, seem to like the security if something goes wrong. That didn't make the list either. Electric shift for people who have arthritis? If you can't put the car in gear, it is amazing you can release the parking brake or steer the thing. I hope they made enough money from the ones that bought their way on.
Old 02-25-06, 03:22 PM
AJL0365
Lexus Test Driver

i would have thought that the ES 330/300 would have been on the list because its basically i believe a baby LS. and i do see more older people driving an ES
Old 02-25-06, 04:51 PM
TwiBlueG35
Lexus Champion

I agree with you guys. My parents are in their early sixties and they don't like or know how to operate those electronic stuff even after multiple lessons from me . Well anyways.......BMW 7-series and Audi A8 are both too complicated. I do agree with Avalon and Sienna though. As long as the car is not too complicated to operate, I think most seniors should have no trouble to use. Instead of finding the ones good for them, I think it would be easier to say which ones don't.
Old 02-26-06, 09:20 AM
LexFather

lol, the 7 series.

I see a new signature