Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Don't police the police

Search this Thread

Old 02-24-06, 10:03 AM
diablo1
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Don't police the police

I mentioned this before and a lot of people said they had noticed cops doing this and it annoyed them. Well, this guy took the wrong approach to solving the problem, and wound up in court!

http://www.cnn.com/2006/US/02/24/pol....ap/index.html
Old 02-24-06, 10:53 AM
STIG
Lexus Test Driver

LOL! dont mess with po po. they are going to poop on u.
Old 02-24-06, 11:17 AM
Richie
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I hate it when the cops do that.
Old 02-24-06, 11:30 AM
tonydt1g3r
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

If I was a cop you better believe I would be doing that also.
Old 02-24-06, 12:08 PM
sha4000
Lexus Test Driver

Received 334 Likes on 288 Posts

there was a big deal about this in N.Y. last year, they really got on the cops but after it died down everything was back to normal
Old 02-24-06, 12:18 PM
AJ
Lexus Champion

I sure hate it when they do that
Old 02-24-06, 12:48 PM
joshthorsc
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I've witnessed some officers out there who abuse their authority. There was this one time where two officer did a donut in the middle of an intersection late at night. Looking at their faces, they seem to be enjoying their little show as they drove off speeding.

But there are cool cops out there so I'm not bashing on cops here.

~Josh
Old 02-24-06, 01:16 PM
tuddy
Negative Nancy

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

i hate when i see cops talkin on there cells phones that really pisses me off

cops are always abusing there power..i see this all the time in nyc
Old 02-24-06, 01:35 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 185 Likes on 144 Posts

first of all it's kinda silly for the kid to honk, there is just no point, i mean, why argue with idiots

on the other hand, so the cop was trying to track down another SPEEDER (which i assume is a worse offense), but then decide to stop and give this kid a ticket for honking (creating noise)? yeah right, i really buy that story. that copy can kiss my ***.

and it's pretty ironic when the judge says "the police doesn't need correcting" and then he said "i expect the police to follow the rules". come on, why don't you believe me following the rules then? i dont' see how i am that much different from the cop beside me, especially considering how many times i see cops RACE with each other on freeways, speed, running redlights, and illegally park to get their damn donuts
Old 02-24-06, 02:03 PM
TheRupp
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I've honestly had more help from the police than trouble, but I'm 99% sure that's illegal in IL on the officer's part. I've seen quite a few occurances of the link posted, but I honestly don't really see a lot of these other types of things going on, however.
Old 02-24-06, 03:03 PM
diablo1
Lexus Test Driver

I'm pretty sure that cops have to obey posted traffic rules etc. if their lights are not on. If they turn their lights on then obviously they can go thru red lights, make illegal u-turns, exceed the speed limit etc. I guess the question is whether they are allowed to put on their lights when there is no emergency and they are not in a hurry to get anywhere.

rominl - that is a good point about the cop supposedly being after a "speeder" but then stops to give this guy a ticket instead, for "unnecessary horn honking". The kid should have mentioned that in court - if you were in such a rush, how were you able to stop and give me a ticket? Maybe it would just get him in more trouble... But the cop has apparently a. Used his power irresponsibly, and b. Lied to a judge, so maybe they could get the cop in trouble too.
Old 02-24-06, 03:32 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 185 Likes on 144 Posts

Originally Posted by diablo1
I'm pretty sure that cops have to obey posted traffic rules etc. if their lights are not on. If they turn their lights on then obviously they can go thru red lights, make illegal u-turns, exceed the speed limit etc. I guess the question is whether they are allowed to put on their lights when there is no emergency and they are not in a hurry to get anywhere.

rominl - that is a good point about the cop supposedly being after a "speeder" but then stops to give this guy a ticket instead, for "unnecessary horn honking". The kid should have mentioned that in court - if you were in such a rush, how were you able to stop and give me a ticket? Maybe it would just get him in more trouble... But the cop has apparently a. Used his power irresponsibly, and b. Lied to a judge, so maybe they could get the cop in trouble too.
but then they always give cops the benefit of the doubt, so it's hard to me. to me, get as far away from them as possible, that's my theory.

and about turning on the lights, correct, if there is no emergency, it's technically illegal for them to turn on the lights so they can run redlights or illegal u-turn.

btw, i posted another stupid cop story, take a look here:
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sho...53#post1744453

Last edited by rominl; 02-24-06 at 03:36 PM.
Old 02-24-06, 04:02 PM
GFerg
Speaks French in Russian

Received 58 Likes on 45 Posts

Horrible. I hate this crap too. But why honk your horn at him?? Its a waste of time.
Old 02-24-06, 04:06 PM
toy4two
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by diablo1
I mentioned this before and a lot of people said they had noticed cops doing this and it annoyed them. Well, this guy took the wrong approach to solving the problem, and wound up in court!

http://www.cnn.com/2006/US/02/24/pol....ap/index.html
We used to always honk at cops that pulled someone else over, or pull up next to them and rev. My friend on a bike would do wheelies on his crotch rocket LOL. F the Cops.
Old 02-24-06, 04:18 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 83 Likes on 82 Posts

The way traffic laws are written though, once a policeman or fireman turns on his / her emergency lights, they have priority from that moment on and ( if possible ) you MUST yield to them .....even if it allows them to momentarily abuse that authority ( most do not ). However, it is not always a free ride. If someone complains, that cop or fireman has to be able to justify his / her actions not only to a higher-ranking policeman or fireman with more stripes ( it is a military-like organization ) but sometimes to the public and press as well.

Quick Reply: Don't police the police