Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Wide-body Cadillac CTS-V could debut for 2007 with 505hp, 7.0 litre Z06 engine

Search this Thread

Old 02-20-06, 05:00 PM
Gojirra99
Super Moderator

Received 203 Likes on 135 Posts
Default Wide-body Cadillac CTS-V could debut for 2007 with 505hp, 7.0 litre Z06 engine

This wide-body CTS-V has the look of a Cadillac racecar, but judging by the fit and finish of the bodywork this could be a preproduction prototype headed for the showroom.
By Ed Hellwig Email Not only does this prototype not have side-exit exhaust pipes like the racecar, its wheels are similar in style to the CTS-V street car. They also have far more offset and are wrapped in higher-profile street tires. (Photo courtesy of KGP Photography)

Date posted: 02-16-2006

The current Cadillac CTS-V isn't the BMW M5 killer General Motors hoped it would be. With the introduction of the more powerful 2006 M5, the CTS-V is 100 hp off the mark. Add in its lame interior and its vague steering and the Caddy's $50,000 price doesn't look like such a bargain.

We know a full-blown redesign of the CTS is already a done deal, but our latest spy photos show a prototype that hints at the possibility of a midcycle upgrade for the CTS-V. Caught testing at GM's Milford proving grounds, this prototype wears extended bodywork from nose to tail similar to Cadillac's CTS-V racecars. We've seen CTS prototypes like this before circling the Nürburgring, but they rarely had the level of fit and finish visible on this test car. This prototype also has a standard set of rear exhaust pipes. On the racecar the pipes poke through the bodywork ahead of the rear wheels.

And it's not just the bodywork that looks suitable for production. Check out the wheels and tires. Instead of ultralightweight O-Z racing wheels and low-profile slicks, this prototype is riding on wheels with the same design as the current CTS-V. They're not exactly the same, however, as you can clearly see that these wheels have lots of offset to accommodate wider tires. The change isn't just functional, it emphasizes the car's rear-wheel-drive setup. It's a styling trick BMW has used for decades now; it's about time Cadillac caught up.

If this car does turn out to be an actual production model, there will be more than just wider bodywork and a new set of wheels and tires to talk about. We would expect nothing less than a serious suspension upgrade along with the installation of the 505-horsepower, 7.0-liter LS7 V8 from the latest Z06 Corvette. This would put the CTS-V right back into the same league as the 500-hp 2006 BMW M5 in terms of power and at least a little closer when it comes to handling and steering feel. Throw in an upgraded interior and the CTS-V would start looking like a bargain again.

source : edmunds
Old 02-20-06, 05:15 PM
PhilipMSPT
Cycle Savant

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Caddy's V-Series are overpriced for what they offer. They can't compare to the prestige and performance of a Bimmer. What Cadillac needs to do is stay away from performance, and emphasize luxury and class. Instead, they've aimed towards Ghetto-fabulousness...
Old 02-20-06, 05:43 PM
TheRupp
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I think they should redesign or update it before messing with the performance. It also needs to stick to the corners better. But 505 hp
Old 02-20-06, 05:47 PM
LexLaw
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Yeah the 500+ HP is what impresses me the most. Aside from that I don't know
Old 02-20-06, 05:48 PM
DASHOCKER
Lexus Fanatic

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Now thats what I'm talking about GM!!! Put the monster Vette engine and tranny in the V-Series and the Goat GM is back in business
Old 02-20-06, 06:47 PM
Dx3
Lexus Fanatic

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I'd rock it

Jonny
Old 02-20-06, 07:29 PM
GFerg
Speaks French in Russian

Received 60 Likes on 46 Posts

Thats gonna be one beastly car. Good move. However I still dont like how it looks.
Old 02-20-06, 08:01 PM
biggimp
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

is it just me or do those pictures look like toy cars?
Old 02-20-06, 09:45 PM
tuddy
Negative Nancy

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

my friend from work has the CTS-V...he took me for a ride on the westside highway 400+ HP i think...fastest car ive ever been in....think hes gettin the STS-V once it comes out
Old 02-21-06, 12:50 AM
Overclocker
G35x - RWD/AWD goodness

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Milford is only about an hour away for me... I think I need to take a road trip!
Old 02-21-06, 11:58 AM
Richie
Lexus Fanatic

Going for the Germans, nice!!!!
Old 02-21-06, 03:31 PM
LexFather

Looks hot!! Just fix the god-awful interior!!

Old 02-21-06, 04:49 PM
T0ked
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I've been a fan of the new Caddys since the CTS came out. I really hope they build this car. 505hp is insane. I'm also a fanatic of the new V series. Ghetto fab.. who cares. I still think MB is more ghetto fab than Caddy, and they seem to be doing ok. It all depends on what they do to the car. Escalades with chromed out dubs or anything with chromed out dubs for that matter give that image. It's gotten Caddy back on the map. Same thing with Chrysler and their 300C. I agree, update the interior, smooth out the lines a little bit like the STS and that would be one insanely powerful and beautiful car. I only wish Lexus would at some point get caught up in all the HP wars and offer more cars with insane engines and standard trannys. With all the news I'm hearing, I'm hoping its sooner than later.
Old 02-21-06, 07:51 PM
GS300Rich
Lexus Fanatic

Aside from the performance I dont like it. The fender flares look like the ones you stick on a jeep, like they were just stuck on. Not feeling the exterior at all
Old 02-21-06, 08:45 PM
T0ked
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Well the article does say preproduction. The one in the pictures look haphazardly put together I'll admit. Hopefully they massage the whole shape before release.

Quick Reply: Wide-body Cadillac CTS-V could debut for 2007 with 505hp, 7.0 litre Z06 engine