Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

lexus- good novice car?

Search this Thread

Old 02-19-06, 09:26 AM
JL22
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default lexus- good novice car?

First of all, i hope this is in the right thread. lol. Secondly, i would like to say hi to everyone. I just registered and would like to learn more about Lexus'. Now, i'll go to my main question: Would a lexus es300 or any other "lower" level lexus be a good first car for a 17 year old? I am looking for the following in a car: reliability(i guess i don't have to worry about that with lexus), easy to maintain(self oil-changes, spark plug changes, ect.), not a lot of power, cheap on insurance. The car will be used mainly for short drives (to school and back with a few long drives on weekends), and an annual trip to Boone,NC for snowboarding. I just want some suggestions from the Lexus experts. lol thanks
Old 02-19-06, 10:27 AM
PhilipMSPT
Cycle Savant

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

The ES is a bit "mature" for a 17 year old but is definately what you are looking for: reliable, easy to maintain, good power, and cheap on insurance.

Since the ES will be redesigned for next year, you can get a great deal on the 2006 models.
The IS will have excessive power for a 17 y.o and is pricey on insurance.
The GS is also good but significantly more pricey than the IS and ES.

What type of cars does he like to drive? Does he have a choice? If this is his first car, perhaps it would be better to start of with something more simple, like a Corolla or Camry? I don't know how good his driving is, but the car will get it's fair share of bumps, dings, and scratches from a first-time driver...
Old 02-19-06, 10:37 AM
np20412
Lexus Test Driver

Received 229 Likes on 173 Posts

I think a 2nd or 3rd Generation ES300 (MY 1992-2001) is a good car for a 17 year old. I had a few friends who drove 4th generation ES300's when I was 17, they are not loaded with power, and they offer a nice ride. The only thing is that everyone of your son's friends is going to want to ride with him
Old 02-19-06, 02:20 PM
MongooseGA
Racer

Received 12 Likes on 5 Posts

Go for it. My SC is my first car and it's great. The plus side to the coupe is that no one ever gets to ask me for a ride- they don't fit!

Maybe look for an older AWD RX if you plan to go snow boarding. I don't know how the ES does in the snow.
Old 02-19-06, 03:10 PM
JL22
Driver School Candidate

just incase you guys were wondering- the 17y.o. is I. lol, well, to answer the first reply- I don't care what i drive as long as it gets me to point a to point b. it also needs to fit my requirements(see my first post). And yes, this is my first car. However, i have driven my mom's protege many times. My driving is decent: I do not speed, I obey speed limits and yield when it is necessary, and i always double check on everything.
Old 02-19-06, 03:30 PM
biggie27
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I would suggest the rx300/330 since u like snowboarding and a suv would probably be a better choice, its also nicer than the es and goes better with the younger croud ( my opinion anyway ) and you could also look into a used LX470 those are just top of the line, the engines are bullet proof, the look is timeless and classy, and it would suit any ocasion, wether it be going ski'ing or to a fancy dinner it would look good in both scenes.........hope that helps alittle

Last edited by biggie27; 02-19-06 at 05:10 PM.
Old 02-19-06, 05:07 PM
r4z0r3ck
Lead Lap

my first car is a 97 es300, but insurance and all maintenance were paid by my parents so i cant say that its cheap but i would think a corolla or civic would be a better novice car.
Old 02-19-06, 05:20 PM
TheRupp
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I've got a 2001 ES300 that I bought when I was 19. Great car, and the refinement of it would've kept me grounded at 17 with my new driver's driving habits. I'm older now, but I really wish I would've had that ES300 instead of the Cavalier when I was 17
Old 02-19-06, 06:57 PM
bizzy928
Lexus Champion

A RWD car may be a bit hard to handle depending on how much snow is in the ground. You also may not want to put all you gear in the car.

The GS is a great vehicle, but I suggest you find something FWD with more electonic aids.
Old 02-19-06, 07:23 PM
Tammy
Lexus Champion

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

A friend purchased his 18 yr old daughter a 2005 Hyundai Accent 3 door coupe. $10K off the floor new. 1.6L 4 cyl, Hemi DOHC four valve, iron block sidewinder with a five speed. Very good fuel mileage, good rates on insurance and being new, very reliable. Maintenance is simple and easy to understand. ' Might not be the best show car but for a young person's auto, it's reasonably expendable. Learning the clutch at the young age has proved invaluable.

Last edited by Tammy; 02-19-06 at 07:26 PM.
Old 02-19-06, 07:36 PM
np20412
Lexus Test Driver

Received 229 Likes on 173 Posts

Originally Posted by bizzy928
A RWD car may be a bit hard to handle depending on how much snow is in the ground. You also may not want to put all you gear in the car.

The GS is a great vehicle, but I suggest you find something FWD with more electonic aids.
He was talking about an ES, which is FWD.
Old 02-19-06, 07:41 PM
PhilipMSPT
Cycle Savant

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

If this is going to be your first car, you may be suprised with the higher costs of maintenance because it does fall into the "luxury" car segment. It requires premium gas, you will need better/more insurance, and if you ever need a part, expect to pay "luxury" prices. But if you can afford it, go for it.

As nice as it would be to own a Lexus as your first car, take a look at the whole picture (car payments, gas, insurance, taxes, maintenance, and "mods".) All these factors will be relatively high with an ES. Perhaps you can go for an AWD car or small-SUV? If you want to stick with the Toyota family for reliability, you should check out the new Rav4. It has all that you need, and it provides more room and 4WD. And don't forget, you can always trade it in for your ES later in life...

Good luck with your search!
Old 02-19-06, 08:01 PM
JL22
Driver School Candidate

i thought a lot about the new rav4 also. it looks great and plus- the 270hp engine sounds intimidating. Well, now i'm leaning more towards the rav4. lol, thanks for the suggestions
Old 02-19-06, 08:05 PM
timoc42
Lead Lap

I had an ES 300 as my first car in the US, and it is a fine car. No major problems and it was great for road trips.

However, I found the design of an ES to be too 'old' for a younger person, therefore, I would suggest you looking at the RX. They are basically the same car, with the same engine, same chassis, just that the RX is higher off the ground. And for your snowboard trips, its got AWD, which is definitely better than FWD in the snow, going up the mountain.
Old 02-19-06, 11:46 PM
0l33l
Lexus Test Driver

I got an SC300 as my first car.
Power - I could always ask for more.
Insurance - Be prepared to get r*ped. Mercury considers my SC a "sports coupe" instead of a "luxury coupe"
Reliability - I've had to do less repairs than I've expected for a 95. One tip - don't go to dealership.

Quick Reply: lexus- good novice car?