Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Not impressed by Camry!

Search this Thread

Old 02-16-06, 10:14 PM
Brandi
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Not impressed by Camry!

Now... OK.. let me start out by saying that this is NOT to offend anyone that drives a Toyota regardless of make or year especially a 2006 Camry. I know that the Toyota & Lexus are both from the same family but I must say that last night my mother & I went & picked up a 2006 Toyota Camry to bring home for a few days until the Chrysler dealership gets off their butts & gets my mom in a brand new car or gives her money back for the lemon they sold her back in 2004 for the 2005 Pacifica she bought from them.
I also KNOW that I have been pretty spoiled by driving a loaded out Lexus RX300 for the past month but come on now..I am NOT impressed at all with this Camry!
My x's brothers GF had bought one while we was still together and I remember hers was rather nice but this thing that I picked up last night is not impressive! Maybe its just me?
I dont think I will own anything else unless it is a Lexus! I am very happy & pleased with the preformance & quality of my SUV!
Old 02-16-06, 10:23 PM
T0ked
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

From what I remember about the Camry, it's one of those cars that change dramatically as you go up the model range and start adding on all the options. The base model can be pretty crappy with the 4 banger and cloth seats with no amenities. The top of the line V6 model with leather and all the options can come pretty close to the ES. The price on those cars start at the low 20s and can come frighteningly close to 30k or even more now. So maybe it was different trim level you were driving?
Old 02-16-06, 10:28 PM
Brandi
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by T0ked
From what I remember about the Camry, it's one of those cars that change dramatically as you go up the model range and start adding on all the options. The base model can be pretty crappy with the 4 banger and cloth seats with no amenities. The top of the line V6 model with leather and all the options can come pretty close to the ES. The price on those cars start at the low 20s and can come frighteningly close to 30k or even more now. So maybe it was different trim level you were driving?
This one that we are driving has a lot more options than just a base model but it still isnt very impressive after driving a loaded Lexus either..
I am pretty picky with my vehicles so someone that would go from something other than what I am driving would probably love it & would be rather impressed but me on the other hand am far from impressed..
Old 02-16-06, 10:29 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 184 Likes on 143 Posts

hahaha, i drove my cousin's dad's camry. i had a 92 camry before. to me, it's another camry. it does its job
Old 02-16-06, 10:33 PM
Falcon LS
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by T0ked
I totally agree. I got used to driving Camry Grande's, pretty much loaded with options and the 1MZ-FE...but when I got to drive a '02 Camry XLi base model with the 5S-FE...OMG, it was horrible compared to what I was used to. The ride was extremely uncomfortable.
Old 02-16-06, 10:49 PM
T0ked
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

My friend had the previous gen Camry with the top trim level, dual zone AC, leather, V6. I was actually pretty impressed. I've also had rental Camry's and they truly were horrid to drive.
Old 02-17-06, 01:23 AM
Brandi
Driver School Candidate

Well I guess its all a matter of everyones opinion.. the one thats parked in my yard will pretty much stay parked until its time to return it to the dealer unless its used by my mother. She isnt even impressed with it so that must say something for it..
Old 02-17-06, 02:21 AM
UDel
Lexus Fanatic

Received 296 Likes on 223 Posts

I have never really been impressed by Camry's either. Nor have most people I know. I have rented a few since they are popular at rental lots and to me it was uninspired and boring. We have always looked at Camry's when considering a new car but were never that impressed. It is definitely not a car that generally appeals to younger people. The Honda Accord which is the Camry's competitor appeals much more to younger people but that is probrably mainly due to its sportier interior/exterior, image, and handling. Many people do not want a stiffer riding sportier car for a family sedan and that is where the Camry excels in that it is not sporty and offers a more comfortable everyday ride which appeals to many people. The Camry is not designed to be very impressive or wow its customer but to be very competitive in a very popular segment the mid size family sedan which are generally not the nicest or most exciting cars. Camry's are generelly not that impressive inside or out but they are well built and reliable and sell very well. There is a reason people call them the Japanese Buick. It may be a pretty boring car but its customer base which is usaully a little older are not looking for a exciting,sporty, or fun cars but well built comfortable reliable safe family transportation. The Camry may not win many comparison tests, have alot of horsepower, or be something that younger people want but Toyota definitely has a winner saleswise with the Camry and it does not really need to be more exciting or impressive as it sells very well as it is. It is certainly impressive how many Camry's Toyota has sold.
Old 02-17-06, 03:58 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 83 Likes on 82 Posts

The Camry IMO is a pretty nice car. I hear a lot of comments about it being " boring ". Not IMO......I've always liked the Camry's relatively soft, refined ride and noise isolation. That's where I disagree with a lot of people...and especially with a lot of the so-called " enthusiast " crowd. I find comfort and a refined personality in a car anything BUT boring...especially when you are tired at the end of a long day at work. Besides, there is a slightly less "refined" Camry SE for the more sporting crowd....but it is no BMW M3.
Old 02-17-06, 09:26 AM
PhilipMSPT
Cycle Savant

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by mmarshall
The Camry IMO is a pretty nice car. I hear a lot of comments about it being " boring ". Not IMO......I've always liked the Camry's relatively soft, refined ride and noise isolation. That's where I disagree with a lot of people...and especially with a lot of the so-called " enthusiast " crowd. I find comfort and a refined personality in a car anything BUT boring...especially when you are tired at the end of a long day at work. Besides, there is a slightly less "refined" Camry SE for the more sporting crowd....but it is no BMW M3.
I agree with your comments. The Camry pleases the most people. The Camry pleases 90% of the driving population; it's the other 10% (driving enthusiasts, luxury car owners, SUV lovers) that don't like it. We enthusiasts are skewed to believe that because we drive the M3, GS, or H2, that the Camry is a crappy car. Not so!!!
Old 02-17-06, 10:04 AM
XeroK00L
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

There's a reason why Lexus is a separate brand from Toyota.

That said, the 2006 Camry is at the end of its product cycle, so don't expect anything fancy by today's standards. It's comfy, practical and reliable, and that's good enough for for most people looking for a family sedan.

Last edited by XeroK00L; 02-17-06 at 01:21 PM.
Old 02-17-06, 01:20 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 184 Likes on 143 Posts

Originally Posted by XeroK00L
There's a reason why Lexus is a separate brand from Toyota.

That said, the 2006 Camry is at the end of its product cycle, so don't expect anything fancy by today's standards. It's a comfy, practical and reliable, and that's good enough for for most people looking for a family sedan.
exactly true. camry is a camry, it's not to have all the cool stuff to impress people, but to have the most useful stuff to please most people. that's why i said it does its job. and i wouldn't really have too much expectations out of it except to have it run for 1000000 miles without problems. maybe that's why every time i sit in a camry i find it pretty darn nice
Old 02-17-06, 01:21 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,127 Likes on 1,379 Posts

Originally Posted by Brandi
Well I guess its all a matter of everyones opinion.. the one thats parked in my yard will pretty much stay parked until its time to return it to the dealer unless its used by my mother. She isnt even impressed with it so that must say something for it..
Brandi - could you elaborate about what you don't like? By the way I find the Camry to be refined and reliable but the most boring and bland vehicle I've ever been in.
Old 02-17-06, 02:13 PM
PhilipMSPT
Cycle Savant

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
By the way I find the Camry to be refined and reliable but the most boring and bland vehicle I've ever been in.
I feel the same way...
Old 02-17-06, 04:25 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 83 Likes on 82 Posts

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
I find the Camry the most boring and bland vehicle I've ever been in.
Drive a Mercury Grand Marquis, bit.......especially with its ultra-numb, novicane-shot steering...... and by comparison the Camry will feel like a sports car.

Quick Reply: Not impressed by Camry!