Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

(end of a era) Looking for info on XJR's

Search this Thread

Old 02-16-06, 02:59 PM
BigVIPness
The Green Grundel

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default (end of a era) Looking for info on XJR's

Well today my first lexus, my 94 GS300, which I had for 3 excellent years, was sold.

It has left a empty spot in my heart, and in my garage.

I looked back at my life when I first got that car and where I am now and I think that I deserve to treat myself to a new car. I was looking at a rare blue LS430 posted here on CL asking if it was a good deal, found out it was an amazing deal, went to the dealership to see it was sold

Now i've got my eye on a diffrent car. It's a 2002 Jaguar XJR. It's black, has 2 peice 19" BBS wheels and the interior looks sweet (and no nav! one less thing to break!) Say what you want its one of the best looking sedans on the road and it goes like a ****. Plus I found a $999 performance package that'll boost my hp to 420 (my lucky number!! ) I've been searching around the internet trying to get some information on the car but i'm not turning up much. I was hoping that you guys could give me a hand.

I'm trying to find out which years the body styles changed, I think there was a change in 1997 and then again 2003 (when hp went from 370 to 390) but I don't know for sure. I was also wondering how reliable of a car it is, I read a reveiw saynig it beat the A8, S430 and something else in reliabitly (the LS wasn't in there for some reason ) Has anyone here on CL owned one?

Thanks in advance for the help!

Edit: RIP my GS 10-20-03 to 2-16-06

Last edited by BigVIPness; 02-16-06 at 03:15 PM.
Old 02-16-06, 03:55 PM
bazop
Rookie

I too looked at XJR's before getting my 01 GS- in the end the reliability was just to iffy for me. I don't have the dough to take a chance on something major going bad down the road. From what I remember from my research, 1998 was the first year for 370 hp V8. It went to 390 with the 2004 redesign. From 98 to 2003, there were minor changes along the way such as in 2001 the wheels were bigger and the alpine sound system became standard. I believe the nav was updated at some point as well. Good luck in your search.
Old 02-16-06, 10:39 PM
SilverFlare
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by IVXX
Well today my first lexus, my 94 GS300, which I had for 3 excellent years, was sold.

It has left a empty spot in my heart, and in my garage.

I looked back at my life when I first got that car and where I am now and I think that I deserve to treat myself to a new car. I was looking at a rare blue LS430 posted here on CL asking if it was a good deal, found out it was an amazing deal, went to the dealership to see it was sold

Now i've got my eye on a diffrent car. It's a 2002 Jaguar XJR. It's black, has 2 peice 19" BBS wheels and the interior looks sweet (and no nav! one less thing to break!) Say what you want its one of the best looking sedans on the road and it goes like a ****. Plus I found a $999 performance package that'll boost my hp to 420 (my lucky number!! ) I've been searching around the internet trying to get some information on the car but i'm not turning up much. I was hoping that you guys could give me a hand.

I'm trying to find out which years the body styles changed, I think there was a change in 1997 and then again 2003 (when hp went from 370 to 390) but I don't know for sure. I was also wondering how reliable of a car it is, I read a reveiw saynig it beat the A8, S430 and something else in reliabitly (the LS wasn't in there for some reason ) Has anyone here on CL owned one?

Thanks in advance for the help!

Edit: RIP my GS 10-20-03 to 2-16-06

I have a 98 XJR, which I traded in from my 98LS400 for this Jag, ---( I still regret & miss my old lexus) anyways, the ONLY thing good about XJR is about it's acceleartion, XJR is pretty fast compare to 98LS400 or even my 06GS430, 370HP vs 290HP, 300HP but the gas milege is too crazy to believe .. full tank of 20 gallons of gas can only barely drive up to 280miles.. my suggestion is to stay away from the jag as it costs too much $$ to maintain, the car is not that realiable compare with Lexus and other make, plus it's bad in resale value, in addition, the rear seat for XJR is extreme small and you will have leg room problem to fit in 2 adults in the back seat. car is fun to drive but I doubt is worth to treat it as a daily car.... tks
Old 02-16-06, 11:56 PM
jhenty
Pole Position

jags are garbage in terms of reliability. If you want an example, when they made the x-type after ford took over (its based on the lincoln ls) many reviewers said the reliabilty was improved upon. Now this means that ford of all companies made a better jaguar than jaguar. No doubt they are some of the sexiest looking cars on the road, I still want one, but the reliability really really sucks.
Old 02-17-06, 12:28 AM
BigVIPness
The Green Grundel

Thanks for the replys! I never thought about the gas mileage, funny you traded a 98 LS for it and I have a 99 LS (cept i'm keeping mine ) It's my understanding that though ford and jaguar share some platforms the XJ's platform and the quad cam 4l V8 are made by jaguar. I think the costs are resonable considering how beautiful of a car it is, and as I told the guy at the dealership when he asked if I was trading in my LS: "i'll need something to get me around when my jags dead" The truth is because of my work i'd only be able to drive the car around on the weekend (also means back seats will never get used) My friend sat in the back and told me he had no room I guess he wasn't kidding. Did you ever experince engine problems?
Old 02-17-06, 08:26 AM
SilverFlare
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by IVXX
Thanks for the replys! I never thought about the gas mileage, funny you traded a 98 LS for it and I have a 99 LS (cept i'm keeping mine ) It's my understanding that though ford and jaguar share some platforms the XJ's platform and the quad cam 4l V8 are made by jaguar. I think the costs are resonable considering how beautiful of a car it is, and as I told the guy at the dealership when he asked if I was trading in my LS: "i'll need something to get me around when my jags dead" The truth is because of my work i'd only be able to drive the car around on the weekend (also means back seats will never get used) My friend sat in the back and told me he had no room I guess he wasn't kidding. Did you ever experince engine problems?
Yes! spent over $2500 for fixing coolant leaking problem (insurance already paid $1400), fixed 4 out of 8 cylinders and also replaced 3 pistons (engines was overheated & cooked) etc... after fixing everything car takes even more gas mileage which is about 250 miles for a tank, both engine check light & restricted performance light keeps on which sometimes cause the engine can't over 3000 rpm, it's very distrubing and i m thinking to trade the XJR for a used C32 or sell it for GS upgrade. keep the Leuxs, it's not worth to take the risk, XJ is small (rear & truck) also too rough ride compare with your GS & LS....
Old 02-17-06, 02:32 PM
BigVIPness
The Green Grundel

Or you could sell it to me....

I would never ever ever get rid of my LS but I am looking for a fun weekend car. I wish they Jaguar didn't look so damn good its like a super hot girl whos really really dumb.