Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

IS250 stolen

Search this Thread

Old 02-18-06, 04:44 AM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Received 110 Likes on 81 Posts

Originally Posted by DASHOCKER
Yeah most car companies including Lexus use the KEELOQ code hopping technology which theives have already figured out.
lol, you can not turn on the car. Do you even know much about it? You have to register the damn key. It has nothing to do with keyless entry at all, it is separate system. Even if you get the code, you cant turn on the car with that code, you have to register the key with the car. Code is only usable for keyless entry system. I am not convinced at all that code is easy to grab.

This is true for all immobilizers on the market, so I really dont know what you are talking about at all.
Old 02-18-06, 01:45 PM
DASHOCKER
Lexus Fanatic

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by spwolf
lol, you can not turn on the car. Do you even know much about it? You have to register the damn key. It has nothing to do with keyless entry at all, it is separate system. Even if you get the code, you cant turn on the car with that code, you have to register the key with the car. Code is only usable for keyless entry system. I am not convinced at all that code is easy to grab.

This is true for all immobilizers on the market, so I really dont know what you are talking about at all.
I know about this stuff since my cousin has been in the auto security business for 20 plus years. Unfortunately, there may be more stories like our buddy here for those who will rely soley on the stock alarm. Believe it that there are car theft rings out there that are quite sophisticated, and the tools they use to get vehicles will amaze you. Maybe this will open your eyes Don't want to see felow members cars jacked.
http://www.nytimes.com/2005/01/29/na...er=rssuserland
http://my.is/forums/showthread.php?p...46#post3888346

Last edited by DASHOCKER; 02-18-06 at 01:54 PM.
Old 02-18-06, 05:10 PM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Received 110 Likes on 81 Posts

Originally Posted by DASHOCKER
I know about this stuff since my cousin has been in the auto security business for 20 plus years. Unfortunately, there may be more stories like our buddy here for those who will rely soley on the stock alarm. Believe it that there are car theft rings out there that are quite sophisticated, and the tools they use to get vehicles will amaze you. Maybe this will open your eyes Don't want to see felow members cars jacked.
http://www.nytimes.com/2005/01/29/na...er=rssuserland
http://my.is/forums/showthread.php?p...46#post3888346
I own aftermarket alarm shop. I am all for extra security. But you are telling things left and right ;-).
To turn on the car, you need to have all 3 things covered, I explained above. You simply dont walk in and enter, and drive off the car without having the keys. Article that you linked to - IS300 - is perfect example what happens when professionals plan the theft and car is left unsecured. It certainly did not happen in 5 minutes though.

Other article presumes a lot of things, such as thieves having access to keys and being able to have full car worth of equipment to decode things. You are also assuming that new Lexus's are using 40bit encryption, which is not true, so this article does not apply at all.

If anyone really wants to be secure, several things are reccomended:
1. Never ever leave your key with anyone. most cars are stolen with original keys these days.
2. Install alarm system with:
- radar/proximity sensor
- battery backup in alarm
- battery backup in siren (very important)
- two way pager
- get an alarm that will alert you when new key is programmed (CG series for example)
- GPS tracking if possible
3. be very careful where you: park, valet, wash you car.

Keep in mind that alarms are not that good at protecting your car from theft. However, alarms are theft detterents. They will alert you that something is happening. Like someone towing off your car so they can work on it in peace :-). And most thieves will find another car without alarm to work on.

Make sure you have battery backup siren, not only alarm. If your siren is not battery backup (only alarm), then someone can still disable your siren within 10 seconds. Pager helps in any situations since it alarts you something is going on even if siren is disabled. Proximity radar is an easy way to tell thief your car has alarm.
Old 02-19-06, 04:32 AM
DASHOCKER
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by spwolf
I own aftermarket alarm shop. I am all for extra security. But you are telling things left and right ;-).
To turn on the car, you need to have all 3 things covered, I explained above. You simply dont walk in and enter, and drive off the car without having the keys. Article that you linked to - IS300 - is perfect example what happens when professionals plan the theft and car is left unsecured. It certainly did not happen in 5 minutes though.

Other article presumes a lot of things, such as thieves having access to keys and being able to have full car worth of equipment to decode things. You are also assuming that new Lexus's are using 40bit encryption, which is not true, so this article does not apply at all.

If anyone really wants to be secure, several things are reccomended:
1. Never ever leave your key with anyone. most cars are stolen with original keys these days.
2. Install alarm system with:
- radar/proximity sensor
- battery backup in alarm
- battery backup in siren (very important)
- two way pager
- get an alarm that will alert you when new key is programmed (CG series for example)
- GPS tracking if possible
3. be very careful where you: park, valet, wash you car.

Keep in mind that alarms are not that good at protecting your car from theft. However, alarms are theft detterents. They will alert you that something is happening. Like someone towing off your car so they can work on it in peace :-). And most thieves will find another car without alarm to work on.

Make sure you have battery backup siren, not only alarm. If your siren is not battery backup (only alarm), then someone can still disable your siren within 10 seconds. Pager helps in any situations since it alarts you something is going on even if siren is disabled. Proximity radar is an easy way to tell thief your car has alarm.
All of the extra security cost$$. So You have to say to yourself, do I need this for my car? Well for me, I'm in NYC and there are shops here that steal car parts. Believe it or not, theives in NYC tend to go tho the best of neighborhoods to rip off cars since a majority of those folks don't have the glearing alarms. Well I decided to get one anyway and I live in a well to do neighborhood. It is a personal choice if you want to add enhanced security in your vehicle
Old 02-22-06, 10:11 AM
sc430uk
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

hey guys how do i post the video, just got it back from police.
Old 02-22-06, 10:22 AM
mkorsu
Zombie Slayer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by sc430uk
Put it somewhere like putfile.com and link it.
Old 02-22-06, 10:24 AM
Gojirra99
Super Moderator

Received 187 Likes on 128 Posts

Originally Posted by sc430uk
Try this LINK
Old 02-22-06, 10:25 AM
oohpapi44
Lexus Fanatic

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

LOL, Hurry up, I need my 'WTF' moment for today.....
Old 02-22-06, 12:00 PM
DASHOCKER
Lexus Fanatic

You got the video. We all want to see it to determine what the guy did.
Old 03-09-06, 09:00 AM
aquanuke
Lexus Test Driver

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Thats crap sc430uk. I spent a fortune on CCTV around my house after someone tried to break into next door after we recently moved there.

Would love to see the CCTV. Email it to me at chris at aquanuke.com (replace the at with an &) and i'll put it on my server.

BTW did you tell scarface at the LOC. Hes pretty hot at sorting these things out.
Old 03-09-06, 10:57 AM
Lexwang07

Sorry to hear that your IS250 stolen! What if someone steal my Lexus, I am mad, and report policemen!
Old 03-09-06, 11:04 AM
Lexwang07

All Lexus cars hardly stolen unlike an Honda Civic and an Camry! These cars most stolen in the America!
Good luck your IS250! An impossbile IS250 stolen within 8 minutes! Car thefts stole any kind luxury cars!
Old 03-09-06, 11:24 AM
aquanuke
Lexus Test Driver

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Typically the most stolen cars are the least value ones as their the easiest. Mostly kids joyriding. Over here its Novas and Fiesta. Ford make some ropey cars like a key from any Ford Granada will open the door of any other Granada.

I had an old Granada and we knew this other guy who had one who was going away for a few days so one summers night we snuck round and opened his car door and put a pint of maggots in the back seat... couple weeks latter we saw him and he told us this story about coming home to find his car full with thousands of Bluebottles

Try this if you dont want your car to get chored.
Old 03-10-06, 03:03 AM
2ndchance
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Last post was a couple weeks ago. I think most of us are pretty sure this guy wasn't being entirely honest.
Old 03-10-06, 08:46 AM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 184 Likes on 143 Posts

Originally Posted by 2ndchance
Last post was a couple weeks ago. I think most of us are pretty sure this guy wasn't being entirely honest.
not sure what you base on your statement from, but people can get busy you know. they don't make a living on clublexus.

Quick Reply: IS250 stolen