Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

IS250 stolen

Search this Thread

Old 02-16-06, 08:29 AM
DASHOCKER
Lexus Fanatic

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by spwolf
it is not as simple as grabing the code. However, if they have your car and your original key (for example car wash, valet parking), then they can make an copy within seconds.

they can also create an copy of your aftermarket alarm key, unless it has extra warning such as Crime Guard alarms which warn you that extra keys have been added...
A spare key won't be able to start the car unless there is a transponder in it. try starting your car with a carbon copy key.
Old 02-16-06, 08:48 AM
jrock65
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Grand theft auto should carry a minimum 10 year sentence, with no possibility of parole.

That should be a strong deterrent, and will result in lower insurance premiums for all.
Old 02-16-06, 08:58 AM
DASHOCKER
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by jrock65
Grand theft auto should carry a minimum 10 year sentence, with no possibility of parole.

That should be a strong deterrent, and will result in lower insurance premiums for all.
Murder in the 1st degree carries a life sentence or the death penalty. Do you think criminals care? Cars have been stolen since the inception of the automobile. The industry is trying to come up with ways to beat the theives. We just have to step up our game with anti-theft devices that will make a thief move on to the next vehicle instead of yours.
Old 02-16-06, 09:34 AM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Received 104 Likes on 75 Posts

Originally Posted by DASHOCKER
A spare key won't be able to start the car unless there is a transponder in it. try starting your car with a carbon copy key.
eh, i know... they can copy the transponder witin seconds if they have the car AND the key.
Old 02-16-06, 10:19 AM
jrock65
Lexus Test Driver

Murder in the 1st degree carries a life sentence or the death penalty. Do you think criminals care? Cars have been stolen since the inception of the automobile. The industry is trying to come up with ways to beat the theives. We just have to step up our game with anti-theft devices that will make a thief move on to the next vehicle instead of yours.
It's not an all-or-nothing thing. Of course cars will continue to be stolen. But extending the sentence for grand theft auto to a minimum of 10 years will act as a deterrent and reduce the number of thefts.

And yes, a life sentence vs. a few years in prison for 1st degree murder does act as a deterrent.
Plus, 1st degree murder is usually an emotional crime.

Grand theft auto is done for money, usually a few hundred or few thousand at most for selling the parts. A mandatory ten year sentence will cause many potential thieves to think twice before jacking a car.
Old 02-16-06, 10:32 AM
DASHOCKER
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by jrock65
It's not an all-or-nothing thing. Of course cars will continue to be stolen. But extending the sentence for grand theft auto to a minimum of 10 years will act as a deterrent and reduce the number of thefts.

And yes, a life sentence vs. a few years in prison for 1st degree murder does act as a deterrent.
Plus, 1st degree murder is usually an emotional crime.

Grand theft auto is done for money, usually a few hundred or few thousand at most for selling the parts. A mandatory ten year sentence will cause many potential thieves to think twice before jacking a car.
!st degree murder is not an emotional crime. First-degree murder includes a killing that is willful, deliberate, and premeditated, or that is committed in the perpetration, or attempt to perpetrate, certain felonies, including burglary, and not including the petty offense of shoplifting. In any event, legislators will attempt to come up with laws to "deter" ones behavior but, i don't believe that prolonging sentences will "deter" a car thief or potential car thief. Has the death penalty, the 3 strikes law in California, Rockerfeller laws in NY deter criminals? Don't think so.
Old 02-16-06, 10:53 AM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,095 Likes on 1,358 Posts

The industry is trying to come up with ways to beat the theives.
What industry? Certainly not the automakers themselves who have alarms and locks that are broken through in seconds. I really don't think car companies care if cars are stolen because it's not really a big enough problem to make them care, or they don't believe their customers are willing to pay for real solutions.
Old 02-16-06, 11:25 AM
jrock65
Lexus Test Driver

!st degree murder is not an emotional crime. First-degree murder includes a killing that is willful, deliberate, and premeditated, or that is committed in the perpetration, or attempt to perpetrate, certain felonies, including burglary, and not including the petty offense of shoplifting. In any event, legislators will attempt to come up with laws to "deter" ones behavior but, i don't believe that prolonging sentences will "deter" a car thief or potential car thief. Has the death penalty, the 3 strikes law in California, Rockerfeller laws in NY deter criminals? Don't think so.
1st degree murder is not an emotional crime per se. But in real life, it usually involves an emotional motivation on the part of the perpetrator. It's rarely done just for money.

And yes, the death penalty and 3 strikes laws have deterred criminals to some extent.

Again, I don't know why you keep speaking as if it's an all-or-nothing thing. No one said that a 10 year sentence would lead to zero car thefts.

A ten year sentence would lead to some kind of reduction in thefts (how much reduction is up for debate).

Of course, it is VERY costly to keep someone in prison for 10 years, which is one reason that such as law will never be passed.
Old 02-16-06, 12:35 PM
silversprucesc3
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

back on topic.....lmao

8 seconds is fast as heck Must of had the key
Old 02-16-06, 12:42 PM
4TehNguyen
Lexus Fanatic

Received 51 Likes on 46 Posts

you been to the dealer lately?
Old 02-16-06, 12:53 PM
lexusls430
Lexus Test Driver

In the video, when he walked to the car did the lights flash signaling the opening of the car? If the lights flashed then he had the key no question.
Old 02-16-06, 01:44 PM
DASHOCKER
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
What industry? Certainly not the automakers themselves who have alarms and locks that are broken through in seconds. I really don't think car companies care if cars are stolen because it's not really a big enough problem to make them care, or they don't believe their customers are willing to pay for real solutions.
I meant the anti-theft companies. There are a new wave of technical gadgets that were not in existence 10 years ago. Of course automakers are not gonna spend billions of dollars engineering and research to hinder theft. Like I said we just have to up our game and keep up with what technology has to offer if you want to keep your car. Or just walk and catch a bus.
Old 02-16-06, 02:13 PM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Received 104 Likes on 75 Posts

I meant the anti-theft companies. There are a new wave of technical gadgets that were not in existence 10 years ago. Of course automakers are not gonna spend billions of dollars engineering and research to hinder theft. Like I said we just have to up our game and keep up with what technology has to offer if you want to keep your car. Or just walk and catch a bus.
there are antitheft devices out there, plenty of them. Most people think they dont need them though.
Half of the people on these forums will tell you "they will steal it if they want it, anyway", which is really not true.

Aditionally, automakers are doing A LOT to stop theft, in fact, I think Lexus is only company rated 100% in UK Thatcham tests. Those tests measure how long it takes professional thief to get in and drive the car. 1 minute is perfect score btw :-).
Old 02-16-06, 03:28 PM
sc430uk
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

right guys update on the car, firstly ill tell you what happened.I was in my office with a work colleage all day, left the car outside in front of the camera. At 6.30 UK time it gets dark around 5.45pm. Well the guy walked up to the drivers side and casually got in, no lights blinking, and from the second he opened to door to the second he drove away it took 8 seconds, timed by myself and the police.
Well the car was found today 2 days after 2 mins drive from where it was stolen and all my stuff still in the boot of the car, car is not damaged in any way.
The car 2nd key was with me, never taken the car to any car valeting company, only had it 1 week.
The dealership and myself have reported it to Lexus GB, and an investigation is taking place, everyone at the dealership is being questioned, its so bizarre.
Ive got the word out in the area to find out who stole it, kind of know the local idiots, so will find out who took it, and i will deal with it my way.
p.s Lexus may think there is a fault with the new IS, may have a total recall on them
Old 02-16-06, 04:21 PM
PhilipMSPT
Cycle Savant

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by sc430uk
p.s Lexus may think there is a fault with the new IS, may have a total recall on them
YIKES!!! Time to get The Club for the car...

Quick Reply: IS250 stolen