Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Angry Customer Torches Ford Dealership

Search this Thread

Old 02-04-06, 09:01 PM
TLW
Lexus Fanatic

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Angry Customer Torches Ford Dealership

Angry Customer Torches North Miami Dealership
Upset With The Price For A New SUV
As Customers Watched, He Torcched The Business
11 Cars Destroyed, Damage Approaches $1 Million

(CBS4) NORTH MIAMI A man unhappy with the deal he got at a South Florida Ford dealership went on a rampage, setting the dealership and the car he had just purchased on fire, as stunned customers watched. 11 Cars, including the one he had just purchased, were destroyed, and police say damage could approach a million dollars.

Gerald Gorgetti, a performance art theatre manager for the City of Miami, has been charged with arson after he apparently snapped when he couldn�t get a price he liked for his new Ford Escape SUV.

An arson investigator told CBS4�s Shomari Stone �He came hear last night and purchased a new vehicle, and he was not satisfied with the final number, the final agreement.�

Police investigators say Gorgetti went home, and returned today to try to run the numbers again. Apparently, according to Miami-Dade Arson Investigator Alfonso Najera, he did not like what he heard. �He still was not satisfied, and he decided to drive his new vehicle through the windows of the showroom. Then, he doused gasoline or some kind of flammable fluid, and he set it on fire.�

Denise Cruz was in line at the body shop, and was standing near Gorgetti when he lit the match. �And the next thing you herad was BOOM, and you saw flames all over the place,� said Cruz. �And I said to him, and I said sir, why would you want to do that?�

The fire quickly spread throughout the dealership, destroying cars, computers, and business paperwork. While the fire burned, Gorgetti, now without a car, was unable to �ride it like a Ford, and apparently calmly walked off down the street, where police officers found him a short time later. Officers claim Gorgetti was yelling � Kill me, Kill me�, but officers took him into custody without incident.

Gorgetti was charged with First Degree Arson, which is a felony, and with felony criminal mischief. Because of the nature of his crime, which involved setting fire to an occupied building, he will not be allowed to post a bond and will remain in jail until a trial.

The dealership has had no comment on the attack on their business, but Miami-Dade police estimate that damage to the dealership could exceed $800,000.
Old 02-04-06, 09:05 PM
O. L. T.
Keeper of the light

Received 360 Likes on 230 Posts

It's unclear whether or not he signed for the car, though it seems he did. If so, he knew what he was getting it for when he signed.
Old 02-04-06, 09:46 PM
LexLaw
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Cocaine is a helluva drug..........Dude is straight crazy. I'm just glad no one was seriously hurt.
Old 02-04-06, 10:58 PM
totrider
Lead Lap

Hmm north miami ford.
Might be Metro ford. thats the only North Miami ford dealer.
Ill find out.

Bought my 95 Mustang at Metro back in 95 hmmmm....

YEP IT IS METRO FORD

I feel sorry for the GT40

Last edited by totrider; 02-04-06 at 11:03 PM.
Old 02-05-06, 12:54 AM
bruce van
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

So does this mean Florida doesn't have a cooling off period?
Old 02-05-06, 03:26 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

The article, besides having poor punctuation, is unclear on whether he actually settled with the dealership and took delivery of the vehicle or not. Twice it says he was " not satisfied " with the price. One version says it was the final price; the other doesn't. And how could he be driving it if he did not formally accept the price and take posession? ...unless he just took the keys and jumped into it.

Either way he is obviously in big trouble.
Old 02-05-06, 06:50 AM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Received 161 Likes on 119 Posts

Originally Posted by mmarshall
The article, besides having poor punctuation, is unclear on whether he actually settled with the dealership and took delivery of the vehicle or not. Twice it says he was " not satisfied " with the price. One version says it was the final price; the other doesn't. And how could he be driving it if he did not formally accept the price and take posession? ...unless he just took the keys and jumped into it.

Either way he is obviously in big trouble.
he was definetly on something :-)
Old 02-05-06, 07:42 AM
Gojirra99
Super Moderator
Senior Moderator

Received 226 Likes on 153 Posts

I don't even care about the details, he's a moron . . .
Old 02-05-06, 09:06 AM
sha4000
Lexus Test Driver

Received 339 Likes on 292 Posts

whats the matter with ppl?
Old 02-05-06, 09:29 AM
Bluesman2
Driver

What happened to the days when people would torch their new Fords at the dealership because the quality was so bad!? (that really happened folks!)

They're practically giving American cars away these days.....The guy couldn't get an acceptable deal!?

Sheesh!
Old 02-05-06, 09:32 AM
LexFather

They forgot to mention re-sale value is unaffected, even though the cars are burnt to the ground.

Old 02-05-06, 10:18 AM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 190 Likes on 148 Posts

Originally Posted by O. L. T.
It's unclear whether or not he signed for the car, though it seems he did. If so, he knew what he was getting it for when he signed.
yeah, that's what i am confused about too

but either way, crazy people.....
Old 02-05-06, 09:48 PM
Lexy GS430
Lexus Test Driver

Crap, i thought i had a short fuse this guy is pyshco insane bro. Dude like him should be locked away for a long time cause he definitely didn't care about other peoples well being.
Old 02-09-06, 08:15 PM
Corey140
Intermediate

Suspect in Miami Crash Kills Self on Plane

DENVER - A man hanged himself in an airplane lavatory days after being arrested for allegedly driving his new car through a dealership's showroom and setting a nearly $1 million fire, authorities said Thursday.

A United Airlines flight from Washington, D.C., to Los Angeles was diverted to Denver after Gerald Georgettis' body was found. The Denver medical examiner ruled the death a suicide.

Denver police Detective Virginia Lopez said no other passengers were ever in danger.

In Miami, Georgettis, 56, was accused of driving his new Ford Escape through the Metro Ford dealership's showroom on Saturday before pouring gasoline on it and lighting it. Miami-Dade County police have said he was upset about how much he paid for his car.

Fire officials said the blaze burned about a dozen cars, including a $150,000 limited-edition 2006 Ford GT.

Georgettis was charged with arson and felony criminal mischief and released Sunday on $1,500 bond.
Old 02-09-06, 08:47 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 190 Likes on 148 Posts

well, end of story i guess.....

Quick Reply: Angry Customer Torches Ford Dealership