Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

What's a good, cool, and cheap EAST COAST car?

Search this Thread

Old 02-01-06, 06:44 PM
tzu911
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default What's a good, cool, and cheap EAST COAST car?

Hello guys, on top of my head I can think of the WRX being perfect for east coast winter driving condition.

It's also stylin' and I've never driven a turbo. So that should be fun. What other car would you guys put on the list?

I'm also thinking about the Mustang, but it being RWD might not be too safe for the snowy road.

Old 02-01-06, 06:54 PM
DaveGS4
Forum Administrator

Received 2,117 Likes on 1,292 Posts

You do realize that only part of the east coast regularly gets snow, and some never does
Old 02-01-06, 06:57 PM
MongooseGA
Racer

Received 12 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by DaveGS4
You do realize that only part of the east coast regularly gets snow, and some never does
Word.

I see an inch every 5 years. It's the hurricanes you've gotta worry about out here.
Old 02-01-06, 07:07 PM
MadMax96
Lexus Test Driver

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by 2000gs300
Hello guys, on top of my head I can think of the WRX being perfect for east coast winter driving condition.

It's also stylin' and I've never driven a turbo. So that should be fun. What other car would you guys put on the list?

I'm also thinking about the Mustang, but it being RWD might not be too safe for the snowy road.

Those WRX's are pretty fun cars but I'm not sure if I'd consider it cheap. Potential issues with an AWD system AND turbo can add up pretty quick. If you're looking at used ones, you can almost count on the car being beat on from the previous owner.
Old 02-02-06, 04:38 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 83 Likes on 82 Posts

Winters vary enormously here on the East Coast, especially in the VA-MD-DE-DC Mid-Atlantic area, not only from year-to-year, but month-to-month , week-to-week, and day-to-day. It can alternate from arctic cold with blizzards to springlike conditions with thunderstorms and everything and everything in between. One week we will get down to 5 degrees at night with snow and the next week we will see 60-70 degrees with massive thawing.

Now....which car to drive? I disagree with the WRX, STi or Evo UNLESS you put winter tires on it.
True, the AWD ( driver-adjustable in the STi ) does give a traction advantage but this is generally negated by the dry-pavement high-performance tires that these cars come standard with. These tires are generally not suited for rain or snow....Subaru mentions this in the Owners' Manual with disclaimers.

The Mustang? Again, don't even think about it in any real winter conditions unless you put good winter tires on it.......this applies to almost any high-powered RWD car, even with traction and stability control.

My suggestions?

1. A Saturn VUE with the 250 HP Honda-derived V6 and AWD. The standard version would have better-suited tires for winter then the Red-Line version.

2. A Subaru Forester Turbo or Legacy / Outback Turbo. All versions come with high-performance all-season tires, which are a little better-suited to foul weather than the WRX / STi's or Evo's. The Outbacks and Foresters have more ground clearance for deep snow than the Legacy, yet still handle reasonably well.

3.The MazdaSpeed6 Turbo with 274 HP and AWD. This is a limited-production car so if you want one you will have to look for it...but with the same need as the STi and Evo as far as having to put good winter tires. It, like them, comes stock with dry-pavement tires.

If you are far enough south on the East Coast that winter is not a problem, then of course, there are many other possibilities as well. There is the inexpensive Neon SRT4, but it is not particularly well-built. Same with the now-discontinued Ford Focus SVT....and the Chevy Cobalt SS, Saturn Ion Red Line, and Nissan Sentra SE-R and SE-R Spec V.
The new 2006 Honda Civic Si is a good choice if you can put up with the odd 2-level dash and gauges.

Last edited by mmarshall; 02-02-06 at 05:17 AM.
Old 02-02-06, 10:25 AM
MadMax96
Lexus Test Driver

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Saturn VUE? Engine is decent but damn, it is one of the fugliest vehicles on the road. Only having an Aztek next to it makes it look acceptable!! <insert barf sound effect here>
Old 02-02-06, 11:48 AM
TheRupp
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

What about a Scion tC? Those FWD cars are great in the snow and have awesome styling
Old 02-02-06, 12:37 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by MadMax96
Saturn VUE? Engine is decent but damn, it is one of the fugliest vehicles on the road. Only having an Aztek next to it makes it look acceptable!! <insert barf sound effect here>
I know it is not the best-looking vehicle on the road, but it is a good all-around driver for East Coast winter conditions....one of the things the poster asked about....and the plastic body panels ( something that is fast disappearing on Saturns ) don't rust, dent, corrode, or ding.
The Honda-built V6 is also MUCH better than the original POS Opel V6 it was introduced with.
The new ones ( meaning 2006 ) also have niceer trim inside than previous models.
Old 02-02-06, 12:41 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by TheRupp
What about a Scion tC? Those FWD cars are great in the snow and have awesome styling
Yes...the tC would be a good general choice but its low ground clearance doesn't bode well for snowstorms...although to some extent that is also true about the Civic Si that I mentioned.

One of the big selling points of Scion products, though.....and something worth considering, is the simple, Saturn-style system of pricing the vehicles reasonably and selling them at list with no-dicker, no-hassle deals.
Old 02-02-06, 12:47 PM
DASHOCKER
Lexus Fanatic

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

I would go with the Subuaru Legacy GT. 4 doors, 250 horses, all wheel drive, room for 5 adults, fast.
Old 02-02-06, 01:01 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by DASHOCKER
I would go with the Subuaru Legacy GT. 4 doors, 250 horses, all wheel drive, room for 5 adults, fast.
The Legacy GT would be good for everything except deep snow. Its ground clearance is much less than its cousin Outback Turbo.
Old 02-04-06, 09:32 AM
tzu911
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Thanks to all replies. I appreciate your input. Special thanks to Mmarshall as always.