Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Comparison: Porsche 911 Carrera vs Acura NSX

Search this Thread

Old 01-30-06, 12:25 AM
SC400TT
Lexus Champion

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Default Comparison: Porsche 911 Carrera vs Acura NSX

Helllo gang:

I am curious of your opinions on these two cars, power, performance, curbside appeal, quality, etc...????

Ryan
Old 01-30-06, 01:20 AM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 184 Likes on 143 Posts

you might want to state which carrera. 996? 997?
Old 01-30-06, 06:02 AM
SC400TT
Lexus Champion

Well, the 911 was changed to a new platform in 99, so le us start from there. It came in many options from what I can gather...'99 model: Take your choice between Coupe and Cabriolet body styles, two- or all-wheel drive, six-speed manual or Tiptronic automatic, plus the hyper-fast Turbo and limited-edition GT2 models. But a lightly optioned, manual-trans-equipped Carrera Coupe is what I am interested in. I am not sure about 996 or 997, can you explain?

On the NSX, let us start from the 96 and up with a manual 6 speed, and Targa top.

Ryan
Old 01-30-06, 06:05 AM
DaveGS4
Forum Administrator

Received 2,119 Likes on 1,293 Posts

996 is the prior version 911, 997 is the current version. Visually similar from outside, but lots of subtle tweaks including round headlights on the 997.

On the NSX I highly recommend you look from 97 up as that year is when it got the HP boost.

My fiance has owned both and has commented on it in another forum, I'll find a link.
Old 01-30-06, 06:12 AM
DaveGS4
Forum Administrator

NSXPrime has an excellent FAQ for you to do research

http://www.nsxprime.com/FAQ/faq.htm

As does Rennlist
http://www.rennlist.com/996_faq/index.htm

Here's a thread on a Porsche forum that she replied in

http://forums.rennlist.com/rennforum...d.php?t=230048
Old 01-30-06, 07:52 AM
SC400TT
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by DaveGS4
996 is the prior version 911, 997 is the current version. Visually similar from outside, but lots of subtle tweaks including round headlights on the 997.

On the NSX I highly recommend you look from 97 up as that year is when it got the HP boost.

My fiance has owned both and has commented on it in another forum, I'll find a link.
Dave:

Thanks for your quote...I guess then the conversation should be based upon the 997 platform which is from 1999 models and up, and the 97 NSX and up.

Horsepower and performance are most important to me in this...But, from people who have driven the cars for periods of time, not just the raw data which I have looked up.

Thanks,

Ryan
Old 01-30-06, 08:03 AM
Lexmex
Super Moderator

Received 159 Likes on 136 Posts

If you are going to do an NSX, you will want to get a turbo or supercharger kit. Every person I have met with an NSX has done this. I had a big debate on my Japanese car club site here in Mexico about this and we wound up comparing other cars like the Subaru WRX, Mazda RX-8 and Mitsubishi Evo series to get an idea why the NSX needed more power.
Old 01-30-06, 08:20 AM
SC400TT
Lexus Champion

That's my whole concern...My Twin-Turbo SC400 will be completed very soon...Finally...And it will be capable of up to 900+ HP. They are Twin Ball-Bearing turbos, so there will be virtually no lag, and lots of power. I obviously will keep the boost down to around 500 RWHP, as this is still streetable. I have no plans to sell my Lex, and it is paid for, as well as all the many, many mods necessary to get this car to this point. But, my Lex is still a large Luxo Coupe, and I have taken pains to keep its civility and yet add the big HP. So, I want a pure sports car as well. For just driving around on weekends and stuff.

Hence the Porsche 911 Carrera, or the Acura NSX. I have always loved both cars. Because the Lex will have so much power, neither the 911 nor the NSX will be able to keep with it stock, but I do want lot's of power still, and I am inclined to not want to mod the car to any level near what I have done to the Lex. My thoughts on the NSX, is that I will not be happy with the power and torque unless I install a Whipple from Comptech...I believe I can buy the 911 stock, and not have the need to do this. This is my main thought.

As far as mods are concerned, I only wish to add wheels and HIDs to either car, and really nothing else, unless the 911 comes with HIDs, which I believe it does from 99 on. The NSX I believe did not get HIds until 2005.

Ryan
Old 01-30-06, 08:24 AM
DaveGS4
Forum Administrator

Originally Posted by SC400T
Dave:

Thanks for your quote...I guess then the conversation should be based upon the 997 platform which is from 1999 models and up, and the 97 NSX and up.

Horsepower and performance are most important to me in this...But, from people who have driven the cars for periods of time, not just the raw data which I have looked up.

Thanks,

Ryan

No, the 997 are new new 2006 and up.

The Porsche 996 is significantly more torquey but the performance numbers for a 97+ NSX and a late model 996 911 are roughly equivalent. You have the drive the NSX a lot harder to get those numbers though.

HIDs are an option on the Porsches (my fiance's 2003 996 does not have them)

Porsche is more comfortable, NSX is more exotic and gets more looks. Both are pretty reliable if properly maintained. You have to look out for a specific rear main seal issue with some of the Porsches.
Old 01-30-06, 08:38 AM
SC400TT
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by DaveGS4
No, the 997 are new new 2006 and up.

The Porsche 996 is significantly more torquey but the performance numbers for a 97+ NSX and a late model 996 911 are roughly equivalent. You have the drive the NSX a lot harder to get those numbers though.

HIDs are an option on the Porsches (my fiance's 2003 996 does not have them)

Porsche is more comfortable, NSX is more exotic and gets more looks. Both are pretty reliable if properly maintained. You have to look out for a specific rear main seal issue with some of the Porsches.
Sorry for the misunderstanding...996 then, as I am looking at probably a 99 or 2000 911, and no older or newer than a 97 NSX.

I understand that Porsche made many differences to the 911 in 1999, and that these changes made it a significantly better car over its predecessor...Among those was going from air-cooled to water-cooled, and OHV...

Ryan

Last edited by SC400T; 01-30-06 at 10:33 AM.
Old 01-30-06, 09:08 AM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 184 Likes on 143 Posts

if you are not looking at nsx 97+, then maybe the 911 would be my choice
Old 01-30-06, 02:30 PM
jhenty
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

tough choice man, I'd struggle with this question myself. They are both sweet cars with equal presence i think. Go and drive both and pick which one suits you more, that would be my next step.
Old 01-30-06, 03:19 PM
LexFather

Very tough choice, 911 does get my vote. KristaP has had both on here, maybe she will chime in

Old 01-31-06, 06:02 PM
GeIS300
Driver

Originally Posted by SC400T
Dave:

Ryan
Of all places, I'm at a lexus forum posting about the NSX and Porshe.
Could you clarify what you mean in terms of performance? I'm no racer and barely pass as a driver but as many will attest, tractable HP wins races.
So, same driver / tires / ambient conditions etc being equal: tractable, linear power will win in the twisties, higher HP wins trap speed at 1/4 mile.

I've driven 996s and own a NSX. Both are fantastic cars and neither are bad choices by any stretch of the imagination. I happen to prefer the mid engine layout myself. But many people who track their cars enjoy the "drive" out of the corners of a RR layout. Porshe has done wonderful things with controling "snap oversteer" and the modern 911 is a very balanced ride.

Here's my take:

996 - 1. more tuning options (been around longer with larger fan/tuning base), 2. bigger potential for high HP (see #1) 3. instantly recognizable 4. ergonomic / back seat

NSX - 1. welcomed and some unwelcomed attention (No necessarily a car to get to "impress women" most ask if I like my Camaro or my Prelude... lol) 2. V-Tech grunt / sound from 5,800 RPM - 8,000 RPM (hard to explain but its like a pulsating, reedy, growl mesmerising, addictive) 3. don't see too many of em around (~8000 in North America) 4. balance

Find what your needs are, match those needs and you'll be a satisfied person.

GeIS300
Old 01-31-06, 09:42 PM
Doc C
Lead Lap

Your SC may smoke both cars in a 1/4 mile, but on a track or road course there would be no comparison. Just read a thread on NSXprime tonight about a guy with a 1991 NSX with 150,000 miles on it. He redlines it frequently. He had the compression of the cylinders tested because he's going to put a Factor X turbo on the car. They were still at 97% of what a new NSX is from the factory. That kind of reliability and build quality is only found in Hondas and Toyotas. How many NSXs have you seen on the road in the last month?? How many 911s have you seen?? The NSXs are rare and they are beautiful. Completely hand assembled. What a car!!
The "old" NSX held it's own just fine in a matchup at Motegi against a Murcielago, Gallardo, F360, M3, 911 Turbo. The NSX lead most of the way and ended up third behind the Murcielago and Gallardo. It was believed it would have beat the Gallardo, except the brakes overheated. It beat the 911 turbo and F430 handily. The Murcielago caught and passed the NSX with 1.5 laps to go, but hell, it's got WAY more horsepower. Ayrton Senna was involved in the design process of the NSX. Only now with the C6, 997, F430 etc. have other cars surpassed the NSX. That's okay, the next one will have a V10 and will again be a benchmark for the rest of the world.

All that said, get at least a 1997+ NSX. Scienceofspeed.com has some headlight conversions to put the new 2002+ HIDs on if you'd like. They also sell some great performance additions to the car. I have a 2004 NSX and will never get rid of it. I'm already saving for the new NSX right now. The 911 is a great car too. You won't go wrong with either one. Go drive each of them and see what you think. Once you hear VTEC kick in at 5,800 RPM you'll be buying it faster than Michael Jackson to a NAMBLA convention!!!! Good luck.

Quick Reply: Comparison: Porsche 911 Carrera vs Acura NSX