Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Review: 2006 Honda Civic EX

Search this Thread

Old 01-21-06, 11:27 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 83 Likes on 82 Posts
Default Review: 2006 Honda Civic EX

The ubiquitous Honda Civic, along with Toyota's Corolla, more than any other cars, helped establish the Japanese-designed compact and sub-compact car in the American marketplace. Both have been enormously popular over the years and have enjoyed a well-above-average reliability record along with good resale value. Unlike arch-rival Corolla, the Civic entered the U.S. market in 1973 as a front-drive car and has remained so ever since....the Corolla did not convert from RWD to FWD until 1984. The Civic has also led the Corolla over the years in innovation and powertrain technology, such as the CVCC engine in 1975, VTEC engineering in the 1990's, a hybrid offering in 2001, multiple body styles, natural-gas ( GX ) versions for California, high-performance Si versions, and numerous other features. The latest version, which captured the coveted North American Car of the Year award at the Detroit Auto Show, incorporates numerous styling changes.
Due to the significant level of interest I noticed on CL recently concerning this car, I chose it my latest review project. One of my neighbor's daughters was interested enough in it that she made it her first brand-new car.....a coupe. The 2006 model, like its predecessors, is again proving enormously popular....I see them multiplying like rabbits in this area. I don't have any firm sales figures yet ( I'm sure AmethySC and 1SICKLEX will post them when available ) but it is obvious that Honda, like in the past, is once again going to have another sales winner.

Why did I review an EX? Several reasons. I've said before that I didn't think that the even more expensive Civic Hybrid was, either in the short or long run, worth what it costs compared to conventional gasoline or the CA natural-gas versions....you can buy a lot of gasoline for the extra money that the Hybrid, with inevitable dealer markups, actually goes out the door for. Less-expensive and less-well equipped DX and LX models ( see the accompaning web site for prices ) in this area are difficult to find in stock at dealerships...they are selling as fast as they are unloaded off the trucks. The dealership I was at, for instance, had no DX models and only one LX.....but a number of the more expensive EX's to choose from. The new Si is not quite ready on the market yet. And, of course, as i said, the natural-gas GX model is not sold in this area. So, that pretty much left the EX available for general test-drives.......so that, obviously, is what I reviewed. What did I think of it? Well, as you will see, there were things about this car that really impressed me.......and things that most definitely did not. So, here we are........

Model Reviewed: 2006 Honda Civic Nav EX
Color: Shoreline Mist Metallic. Interior: Ivory cloth.
Base price: $20,550
MSRP: $21,140

Drivetrain: FWD 1.8L in-line SOHC 16-valve VTEC-4, 140 HP, 128 ft.-lbs. torque
5-speed automatic transmission.

PLUSSES:

Swiss-Watch build quality and materials...with one or two minor execptions.

Well-above-average fit-and-finish......again, with one or two exceptions.

Good interior space efficiency.....a Civic tradition.

Slick-precision-feeling automatic-transmission shifter and parking brake handle.

Dash-mounted shift-position indicator for easy reference.....something not always found in entry-level cars.

Good handling and agility for a sedan.

Excellent gas mileage figures, even with the automatic, if driven sensibly.
( up to 40 MPG with the automatic, which outdoes even the manual )....One less reason to buy the Hybrid.

MINUSES:

Dull exterior colors except for the Atomic Blue and Tango Red....lesser Civic models quite limited in color choice, another Civic tradition.

Relatively stiff ride with EX tires and suspension.

Not a lot of low-RPM torque and flat response when warm.

Rather spongy, ineffective brakes.....probably from the small rotor size.

Numb, rubbery-feeling power-steering.

Pint-sized Mickey-Mouse steering wheel.

Odd, split-level dash and gauges.

Featherweight hood can be a hazard on a windy day.

Bright-orange all-plastic oil dipstick flimsy and very difficult to read.

Jumpy off-idle throttle response and bumpy transmission shifting whan cold....much better when warm.

No power seats or leather available even on top-line EX trim level.

Compact spare tire.

Limited visibility around the A-pillars in spite of small see-thru windows.

Cheap 3/36 total-car warranty.

OK...the first impression you get of this car as you walk up to it is exactly what it is......an all-new Civic with Acura-inspired styling particularly in the front end. The hood, grille, and front fenders all have some Acura RSX influence to them.From the windshield back the car is much more like previous conventional Civlcs. The exterior fit-and-finish, for a car of this size and price range, has to be seen to be believed. The door panel gaps are so close it would be hard to stick a piece of paper through them, and all four doors close with the muted sound and precision feel of the workings of a Swiss watch. I've seen $50,000 and $60,000 cars that didn't do that, particularly from Europe. Too bad they couldn't have given the otherwise excellent paint jobs a little more flash. Only one or two colors are actually distinguishable from funeral limos.
Get inside the rather space-efficient interior and you find, in my opinion, two completely different worlds. One one hand, you have the precision-feel and high fit-and-finish level evident in the hardware, controls, and switches, the delightfully solid sound and feel of the doors closing, plenty of room for tall and broad people like me, a super-slick automatic transmission lever and parking brake handle, nice suede arm rests on the doors, and the usual Honda care of assembly all around you. Then you have to deal with, again IMO, the not-so-nice features.....a Kiddie-Car-sized steering wheel with cheap-looking flat-silver paint on the two spokes, the same cheap-looking flat-silver paint on the door handles and shifter housing, a two-foot-long dash like in the VW Beetle, but with an odd two-tier level with the digital speedometer, temperature and fuel gauges up front under the far-away windshield and the conventional blue-and-white tach, odometer, shift-indicator and trip computer displays conventionally located right behind the wheel....where ALL of the gauges should be, IMO....and scratch the digital speedo and put the regular analog one back in. The ultra-long dash forces the A-pillars up front of you at an angle...and despite the small triangular see-through window in each one visibility to the front and sides, like in the VW Beetle, is somewhat limited.

On the road, warm-up is less than a totally pleasant experience as the new throttle-by wire engine controls give a rather abrupt off-idle when starting from a stop or at very low speeds, and the transmission tends to shift harsh enough to be noticeable. Both smooth out quite a bit and act much better when warmed up...and the overall drivability is quite good, with moderate engine noise...about average for this class of car. Low-end torque when warm, in the Honda four-cylinder tradition, is not good, but of course this car was designed more for gas mileage than to be a dragster, and, as with most Civics, the gas mileage ratings are superb.
Handling is what you expect of non-Hybrid larger-tired Civics.....sharp, quick, with good steering response and agility, but the same old Civic numb, rubbery steering feel. Brakes, another Civic weak point, more or less continue the tradition here with a relatively spongy, long-pedal travel and weak response. Again, as in the past, small rotors may be the culprit. The ride, as expected of a sharp-handling car, is firm, but not excessively stiff, with little wind noise even at cruise......probably a result of those superlatively-fitting doors that close and seal so well.
Space up front is OK for a person my size ( 6' 2" and 275 lbs. ) and marginally OK in the rear....again, not bad for this size car, and indicative of Honda's design abilities in space-efficiency.

The Verdict? I am aware of the awards this car has received, and took them into consideration while doing this review....but it is clearly not the car for me. It would, however, be a good purchase for a college student, first-time buyer, someone who wants high gas mileage ( for a conventional car ) without having to hunt for diesel fuel or the complexities of a hybrid, someone who can put up with ( or likes ) the odd two-tier dash, someone who wants super-reliability and excellent fit-and-finish at a relatively low price, or someone who wants an sharp-handling inexpensive sedan and is willing to accept less-than-BMW steering feel. For these classes of buyers, Honda has another sure winner.....and once again, as in the past, the sales numbers seem to be verifying that, but EX models are definitely lagging the lower-priced DX and LX models in that department.

Last edited by mmarshall; 06-09-06 at 12:15 PM.
Old 01-21-06, 06:25 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,126 Likes on 1,378 Posts

Good review. The rougher throttle/transmission when cold may also be due to the fact that the car was brand new and not broken in. Hondas tend to get better with age!

I thought the interior of this Civic was excellent even though I'm not usually a fan of the two tier guage design. The digital speedo is good being out front because you don't have to drop your line of sight much to see what speed you're doing - definitely important for the generally young crowd that will drive this car!

Glad to hear you thought the fit and finish was very precise and high quality. Those robots earned their pay.
Old 01-21-06, 06:35 PM
CK6Speed
Super Moderator

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Good review. Two cars that I've been thinking of getting for a daily driver since I sometimes have to park on the street for work are the new Civic or Scion tC. I like the inteior of the Civic better, but the tC is cheaper and has more power. Anyway, I think the new Civic's are a definate jump ahead of the cometition like the Corolla and such.
Old 01-21-06, 11:44 PM
CK6Speed
Super Moderator

So, since you did this review and I'll be looking for a work horse daily beater soon, I went out tonight to go test drive the 06 Civic EX sedan as well. I pretty much agree with everyting you said. This is probably one of the best Civic's Honda has made. In the pictures I thought the speedomoter being high u p on the dash was cool. In real life though I personally had a hard time adjusting to its location. Unlike you though, I did like the small thicker steering wheel
Old 01-22-06, 03:58 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
Glad to hear you thought the fit and finish was very precise and high quality. Those robots earned their pay.
Fit-and-finish is almost always well-above-average with Honda and Acura products. A rare exception was the Honda Passport SUV of the mid-90's...and only because that was a rebadged Isuzu-built Rodeo. The rebadged Isuzu Trooper...the Acura SLX.....was much closer to Honda's usual standards.

The previous-generation Civic was also superlative in this area except for the rear bumper paint, which didn't always match the rest of the car quite perfectly....but it was very minor.

Last edited by mmarshall; 01-22-06 at 03:02 PM.
Old 01-22-06, 05:50 AM
Lil4X
Out of Warranty

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts
Cool Civic Duty

Outstanding review mmarshall You hit the nail on the head. The Civic is a great litle commuter, college car, or even a small family car for the frugal. You don't give up much to somewhat larger sedans, and the traditional Honda reliability is part of the program.

I drove a 4-dr '95 Civic EX 5-spd for five years as an urban commuter. I feared the automatic would absorb far too much of the limited horsepower and foolishly bought the manual for stop-and-go duty (I'd been driving V-8's, usually in full-sized SUV's for 20 years). The 5-spd led to a lot of abuse, which by trade-in time would cost me a clutch and a couple CV joints. But it was quick and handled better than any econobox should.

The machine was absolutely dead reliable. Gas and oil and turn the key reliable. In some 90K miles, my only other maintenance was a change of tires (oh, and a timing belt/water pump change at 80K). I agree, the color selection is really miserable, but the dark green was my choice. It's not easy being green. The dealer offered a leather interior, and while it was nicely done, it wasn't worth the price. It's a CIVIC, get it? No pretensions here . . .

Fit and finish were incredible - especially for a guy who had been driving American Iron for quite a few years. It was a little buzzy, due to lack of insulation, but under normal conditions it was relatively comfortable for my 6'4", 290 lbs. Although I looked like part of a clown act performing the requisite body origami to get in or out of the car, it was relatively comfortable, once inside. I chose the Civic over the Accord primarily because the Accord that year had a console down the middle, with a sharp edge that wanted to fight my throttle leg for position. Otherwise most of the size difference was in the back seat, and I wasn't going to be riding back there. Visibility was good - and you needed it, considering there wasn't much on the road that was SMALLER than you.

A great little urban runabout, I was amazed at the capability of the car on the highway. 36 mpg in winter (with no AC) was normal, while using the AC would drop mileage to 32 . . . that's what happens when you have a caffeinated hamster for a powerplant; sticking your finger out the window at speed would probably cost you another mpg. I was surprised at the smoothness of the car at highway speed, even taking the Louisiana whoop-de-doos (I-10's infamous roller coaster of concrete swells that could play you like a two-cushion shot between seat bottom and headliner all day long) in stride.

Between the Suburban I used for my business and on long trips and the Civic, the little Honda was not the long-distance hauler, but was a great daily commuter and an economical highway cruiser when not hauling two or three hundred pounds of gear. For a single, or a small family, it is an ideal economy car - with a small turn of performance. For a college-bound student, while it's not flashy, it's attractive, practical - and at least it's not an embarrassing ride. It had a surprisingly large trunk for its size, reasonable seating for two (four full-size adults could be a bit of a pinch), lots of in-cabin storage, and offered a number of well-considered amenities (a good moonroof, nice upholstery, carpets, and vinyl on the dash and doors).

In heavy rain on the interstate in the pre-dawn hours, I began to re-think this mini-car fascination when I saw my reflection in the hubcap of a passing 18-wheeler - at about eye level. In the rain and dark, driving a small dark car, I was almost invisible.

Hello Lexus? What'cha got for me?

Last edited by Lil4X; 01-22-06 at 06:04 AM.
Old 01-22-06, 10:17 AM
sha4000
Lexus Test Driver

Received 334 Likes on 288 Posts

i sawone on the highway yesterday and i liked the look epecially how the trunk reminded me of a bmw 3series
Old 01-22-06, 01:21 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by Lil4X

I drove a 4-dr '95 Civic EX 5-spd for five years as an urban commuter. I feared the automatic would absorb far too much of the limited horsepower and foolishly bought the manual for stop-and-go duty (I'd been driving V-8's, usually in full-sized SUV's for 20 years). The 5-spd led to a lot of abuse, which by trade-in time would cost me a clutch and a couple CV joints. But it was quick and handled better than any econobox should.

A great little urban runabout, I was amazed at the capability of the car on the highway. 36 mpg in winter (with no AC) was normal, while using the AC would drop mileage to 32 . . . that's what happens when you have a caffeinated hamster for a powerplant;

Hello Lexus? What'cha got for me?
Yes...it's hard to beat the Civic's slick FWD shifter and clutch....IMO the easiest-to-shift FWD manual transmission on the market.

The Civic's engine has some power, but only at the very top of the RPM band...in normal driving, that is one reason why Honda VTEC engines get such good gas mileage. That appears to be Honda's 4-cylinder design philosophy....high mileage at low RPM but no power. Past entry-level Civics also got good mileage by tall gearing and having to slip the clutch to get moving from a standstill.

As far as that last comment is concerned, if you are looking for a Lexus product in the Civic's class........good luck. The closest thing to a Civic in an upscale brand is the Acura RSX coupe and TSX sedan..
Old 01-22-06, 01:46 PM
Och
Lexus Champion

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by mmarshall

As far as that last comment is concerned, if you are looking for a Lexus product in the Civic's class........good luck. The closest thing to a Civic in an upscale brand is the Acura RSX coupe and TSX sedan..

Actually TSX is Euro Accord, it has a much better suspension that a Civic. Pretty nice car overall, handles very well, but rides very rough - very similar driving characteristics to the former generation 325, and the engine has no ***** whatsoever. I guess it's somewhat comparable to the IS250 or the old IS300, but it's still not quite there.

As far as the RSX - it is civic based. Pretty boring overall car when compared to the Integra, but it's fairly nice for getting from point A to point B. I might actually get myself one of these to replace my beater Civic.
Old 01-22-06, 01:55 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by Och
Actually TSX is Euro Accord, it has a much better suspension that a Civic. Pretty nice car overall, handles very well, but rides very rough - very similar driving characteristics to the former generation 325, and the engine has no ***** whatsoever. I guess it's somewhat comparable to the IS250 or the old IS300, but it's still not quite there.

As far as the RSX - it is civic based. Pretty boring overall car when compared to the Integra, but it's fairly nice for getting from point A to point B. I might actually get myself one of these to replace my beater Civic.
Yes, I know, Och.....I did a review of a TSX a while back but I don't think I did formal write-up. I know it is done on the overseas Accord platform, but I compared it to today's U.S. 4-door Civic in size....the dimensions are pretty smiliar. Is is definitely more upscale than a Civic..hence the Acura nameplate and marketing.

You are correct about the RSX-Integra comparison. I liked the Integra's interior, especially, compared to the RSX's, but the RSX does have a stiffer chassis and somewhat better handling.

If you are looking at an RSX purchse, you can get a Civic coupe for less money, but of course it will have less power, fewer features inside, the goofy ( IMO ) two-tier dash, and a shorter 3 / 36 warranty.
Old 01-22-06, 02:14 PM
Och
Lexus Champion

Yes, I know, Och.....I did a review of a TSX a while back but I don't think I did formal write-up. I know it is done on the overseas Accord platform, but I compared it to today's U.S. 4-door Civic in size....the dimensions are pretty smiliar. Is is definitely more upscale than a Civic..hence the Acura nameplate and marketing.

You are correct about the RSX-Integra comparison. I liked the Integra's interior, especially, compared to the RSX's, but the RSX does have a stiffer chassis and somewhat better handling.

Well not eactly. The Integra (and old civics) were equipped with double a-arm suspension, and the new Civic and RSX are using Mcperson struts. The Integra GSR handles far better than RSX, and I would get one for myself, but the are almost impossible to find in stock shape, most of them are way riced out. Furthermore, you could swap Integra type R LSD into the GSR to make it handle even better.

And the RSX doesn't have stiffer suspension than integra - the RSX has much weaker springs and higher ride height. In fact, the RSX has a pretty civilized ride compared to the integra.

If you are looking at an RSX purchse, you can get a Civic coupe for less money, but of course it will have less power, fewer features inside, the goofy ( IMO ) two-tier dash, and a shorter 3 / 36 warranty.
Nah the Civic doesn't cut it for me. I'm looking to get maybe an 02-03 RSX, they go for around 12-14k (non type S). I want automatic doors/windows and leather interior, and don't care so much for engine/handling, so RSX seems perfect for me.
Old 01-22-06, 03:10 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by Och
Well not eactly. The Integra (and old civics) were equipped with double a-arm suspension, and the new Civic and RSX are using Mcperson struts. The Integra GSR handles far better than RSX, and I would get one for myself, but the are almost impossible to find in stock shape, most of them are way riced out. Furthermore, you could swap Integra type R LSD into the GSR to make it handle even better.

And the RSX doesn't have stiffer suspension than integra - the RSX has much weaker springs and higher ride height. In fact, the RSX has a pretty civilized ride compared to the integra.

I wasn't referring to the Integra-RSX suspensions. What I said was that, like most newer models replacing previous ones, the RSX has a stiffer unibody frame / chassis, not necessarily suspension. I'm talking about bending and torsional rigidity in the frame. That usually allows a softer suspension set-up with the same handling results.

The " double A-arm" you refer to was better known as the " double-wishbone " suspension, something that Honda and Acura dumped years ago for McPherson struts. I agree with you that I think that was a mistake, although struts are more compact, space-efficient, and cost-effective. The double wishbone suspension lived on in some other non-Honda products, however.....notably the 2001-2005 Lexus IS300.
Old 01-22-06, 03:34 PM
Och
Lexus Champion

The " double A-arm" you refer to was better known as the " double-wishbone " suspension, something that Honda and Acura dumped years ago for McPherson struts. I agree with you that I think that was a mistake, although struts are more compact, space-efficient, and cost-effective. The double wishbone suspension lived on in some other non-Honda products, however.....notably the 2001-2005 Lexus IS300.
Actually Accord, TSX, TL are all using double wishbone suspension to this day, and it doesn't seem that they wll discontinue it.
Old 01-22-06, 03:48 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by Och
Actually Accord, TSX, TL are all using double wishbone suspension to this day, and it doesn't seem that they wll discontinue it.
OK...good catch. You may have gotten me on that one. I don't remember that from when looked at them but I will take your word for it.

I know that the Civic dropped double-wishbones years ago, though....a mistake, IMO, even though struts do have some advantages. Once again, though, like so much else in the auto industry, we get back to money...struts are not only more space-efficient but also cheaper.
Old 01-22-06, 03:49 PM
CK6Speed
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by Och
Also the RL. I think the only Acura branded car to use McPherson Strut is the RSX, and Canadian EL since that is really basically a very nice Civic. Between Honda and Acura only the Civic and RSX I believe used McPherson struts up front.

Quick Reply: Review: 2006 Honda Civic EX