Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Ferrari F430 Sales May Be Banned in U.S. for Airbag Issues(UPDATE -exempted now)

Search this Thread

Old 01-15-06, 11:10 AM
LexFather

Thumbs down Ferrari F430 Sales May Be Banned in U.S. for Airbag Issues(UPDATE -exempted now)

http://www.edmunds.com/insideline/do...ticleId=108934

EXCLUSIVE: Ferrari F430 Sales May Be Banned in U.S. for Airbag Issues

Date posted: 01-14-2006

WASHINGTON, D.C. — The federal government may ban sales of Ferrari's bread-and-butter F430 in late 2006 unless the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration grants the company a waiver on airbag requirements.

It isn't that the F430's airbags aren't safe — they meet or exceed most NHTSA guidelines. But the F430 lacks sufficient protection for a small number of female occupants who aren't strapped into the correct position in the event of a crash. The same problem applies to child occupants. If the waiver isn't granted, Ferrari will be unable to sell cars built after September 1, 2006.

NHTSA suggested the company accelerate production and stockpile pre-September 1 cars to keep dealers supplied with cars for the two remaining years in the F430's production cycle, but Ferrari pointed out that it is already building the cars as quickly as it can to meet demand.

In its petition, Ferrari details its plans to continue the F430 line until late 2008, when it will "be replaced by a newly designed eight-cylinder model." What that means for rumors of a possible 10-cylinder Lamborghini Gallardo fighter isn't clear.

Lotus initially expected it would need a similar waiver to sell the Elise in the U.S., but ultimately found it could meet the requirement with off-the-shelf airbag technology. Ferrari, on the other hand, says in its petition that it has extensively tested available components without success. "The issue is not one of cost, but one of impossibility," the document states. (Emphasis added by Ferrari in its filing.)

"We focused on the work that had been done in an attempt to comply," observed Ferrari North American Corporate General Council Dave Wertheim. "We think there is a very high degree of safety in the car," he emphasized.

When the wheels of the federal bureaucracy will churn out a decision is anybody's guess. "There is no expected timetable," said Wertheim. What do Ferrari's oddsmakers think it'll decide? "We're cautiously optimistic," he said.

Waivers have typically been considered the realm of tiny startups and importers of limited numbers of unusual cars. Even though Lotus complied with the airbag requirement, the Elise still required waivers for other elements, such as lighting. The Crosslander SUV under consideration from Romania, for example, will require a waiver for its complete absence of any airbags, which is a much taller order than Ferrari's request.

Ferrari points out that only 13 percent of its owners have children under the age of 6, so that it is unlikely that many kids will ride in one of the waived cars. Further, the company pledges to provide, free of charge to any customer who requests it, a special child seat which will automatically deactivate the passenger's side airbag. The cars will also feature a manual cutoff switch for the passenger's side airbag.

If the notion of buying a Ferrari child seat sounds attractive, hold on. At this point that child seat is entirely hypothetical, says Wertheim, and even then it would only be available to those who own the car.

What this means to you: It's an interesting look at all the legal wrangling automakers must go through to sell cars in this country. But it does beg the question as to why Ferrari let this coming regulatory deadline approach without making the necessary improvements.

Old 01-15-06, 11:11 AM
LexFather

I Was On Order For One!!! Now I Have To Get Something Else!!!! :d

Old 01-15-06, 11:22 AM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 184 Likes on 143 Posts

man what a bummer..... retarded
Old 01-15-06, 11:33 AM
Gojirra99
Super Moderator

Received 186 Likes on 127 Posts

. . . . . good that I can't afford one anyway . . . . . .
Old 01-15-06, 12:04 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,102 Likes on 1,364 Posts

First the do gooders said automakers had to add airbags.

Then the do gooders say wait, they're too powerful and can take people's heads off in certain circumstances so you must make them explode with less force if a light passenger is in the seat.

A Canadian friend said in Canada it's mandatory for a switch to turn OFF the airbags.

SHUT UP! The road to hell is paved with good intentions.
Old 01-15-06, 12:15 PM
Richie
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Oh man, bureaucracy at it's finest
Old 01-15-06, 02:53 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 83 Likes on 82 Posts

Originally Posted by 1SICKLEX
I Was On Order For One!!! :d
Yeah...and my name is Madonna.
Old 01-15-06, 02:58 PM
LexFather

Originally Posted by mmarshall
Yeah...and my name is Madonna.
LMAO!! I was going to get white with black leather

Old 01-15-06, 05:27 PM
Faraaz23
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I think a airbag turnoff option should suffice. I'd be really sad to see the F430 banned. I think the Corvette Z06, as far as performance goes, is the best bargain hands down. However, i've always thought that EVERYTHING taken into account.... speed, handling, driving dynamics, prestige, design, emotion, sound, panty-wetting ability.... everything, that the F430 may be the most incredible car produced for the money. I'm sure people lucky enough to get their hands on 430's so far would be loving their resale value if the supply gets tightened up that much.
Old 01-15-06, 05:35 PM
O. L. T.
Keeper of the light

Received 335 Likes on 221 Posts

That part I believe.
Old 01-16-06, 10:53 AM
Richie
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

LOL, Mike, where are you going to put the Chef then??
Old 01-16-06, 12:08 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,102 Likes on 1,364 Posts

Originally Posted by Richie
LOL, Mike, where are you going to put the Chef then??
If he gets a 430, he can put Chef anywhere he freakin' wants to!
Old 01-17-06, 05:27 AM
tetra7
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

This is lame...if a person can spend over 200 big ones, I'm sure they can get custom seats fitted that will work with the belt/harnass...more gov't b.s.. I'm sure in typical Italian style, they will tell the U.S. to go smoke a pole.
Old 05-22-06, 07:15 AM
Gojirra99
Super Moderator

Received 186 Likes on 127 Posts
Default Relief! Ferrari 430 gets airbag exemption

In January, we reported that the U.S. federal government was considering banning further sales of the Ferrari F430 in the U.S. after the 2006 model year because its frontal passenger airbag didn’t provide sufficient protection for some women and children in abnormal seating positions. At the time, a company spokesperson said it would be impossible to fix the problem without a major interior redesign. Today, Automotive News is reporting that the U.S. government has given Ferrari a break on the airbag rules. The car will not have to comply with the regulations for the 2007 or 2008 model years, the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration decided.

source : leftlanenews
Old 05-22-06, 08:46 AM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 184 Likes on 143 Posts

Originally Posted by LexArazzo
In January, we reported that the U.S. federal government was considering banning further sales of the Ferrari F430 in the U.S. after the 2006 model year because its frontal passenger airbag didn’t provide sufficient protection for some women and children in abnormal seating positions. At the time, a company spokesperson said it would be impossible to fix the problem without a major interior redesign. Today, Automotive News is reporting that the U.S. government has given Ferrari a break on the airbag rules. The car will not have to comply with the regulations for the 2007 or 2008 model years, the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration decided.

source : leftlanenews
good to hear that the government are giving ferrari a break here! i guess they just have to drive ultra slow now?

Quick Reply: Ferrari F430 Sales May Be Banned in U.S. for Airbag Issues(UPDATE -exempted now)