Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Feb. MT Comparo: 1) 330i, 2) IS350, 3) C350

Search this Thread

Old 01-02-06, 07:19 PM
jrock65
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Feb. MT Comparo: 1) 330i, 2) IS350, 3) C350

1) 330i 6MT: 5.8s
2) IS350: 5.2s
3) C350 6MT: 5.4s

The review was pretty much like all other comparos involving these cars. The IS was the fastest but the 330i was a better driver and a better overall sport sedan. Curiously, the IS was the most expensive at $45,000, then the 330i at $43,000, then the C350 at $41,000.

MT was surprised at the speed and driving agility of the C350.
Old 01-02-06, 07:36 PM
TRDFantasy
Lexus Fanatic

This should shut up a lot of people who cry foul at C & D's numbers for the IS350. MT getting 5.2s 0 - 60, it confirms the C & D times are accurate, and so is the Lexus estimate of 5.3s.

330i probably won due to "driving feel" and because VSC/VDIM limited the IS350's handling. MT likely did not deactivate IS350's electronic nannies using the "unofficial" method. In that case the IS350 could have easily won.

C350 seems to be competitive.
Old 01-02-06, 07:37 PM
LexFather

Originally Posted by jrock65
1) 330i 6MT: 5.8s
2) IS350: 5.2s
3) C350 6MT: 5.4s

The review was pretty much like all other comparos involving these cars. The IS was the fastest but the 330i was a better driver and a better overall sport sedan. Curiously, the IS was the most expensive at $45,000, then the 330i at $43,000, then the C350 at $41,000.

MT was surprised at the speed and driving agility of the C350.

Scans from Jaymarino at Is.net
The IS was LOADED. The BMW and Benz was BASIC and still topped over 40k

Old 01-02-06, 07:57 PM
TRDFantasy
Lexus Fanatic

Woohoo !

Thanks as usual SICK for the scans!

We should call you the scanman .

I noticed in the review they talked about each car as if they were F1 drivers .

These cars are luxury sport sedans, not simply sport sedans. You want a sport sedan, go get a Mitsu Evo or Subbie WRX.

Time and time again, these reviews almost totally ignore the luxury aspect of these cars, and which would make a better daily driver.
Old 01-02-06, 07:59 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 184 Likes on 143 Posts

wow cool this is good to know. and the c350 and 330i are both manual? so the is350 is auto and faster than both? also it seems like bimmer will spice up the engine of the 3 series very soon to compete with lexus and mb.

now to be honest, if lexus can work on the price of the car a little bit....
Old 01-02-06, 08:14 PM
doug_999
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by rominl
wow cool this is good to know. and the c350 and 330i are both manual? so the is350 is auto and faster than both? also it seems like bimmer will spice up the engine of the 3 series very soon to compete with lexus and mb.

now to be honest, if lexus can work on the price of the car a little bit....
Yep, rumor has it the 335 will be out this fall - basically the 3L engine with a turbo! I hear that the 330 will no long be offered - no clue if this is true or not.

The test show - the IS350 is like a train - it may not start out the fastest but it just keeps pulling and pulling....
Old 01-02-06, 08:16 PM
LexFather

Originally Posted by TRDFantasy
Woohoo !

Thanks as usual SICK for the scans!

We should call you the scanman .

I noticed in the review they talked about each car as if they were F1 drivers .

These cars are luxury sport sedans, not simply sport sedans. You want a sport sedan, go get a Mitsu Evo or Subbie WRX.

Time and time again, these reviews almost totally ignore the luxury aspect of these cars, and which would make a better daily driver.
That is b/c since C Van Tune left as editor, Motor Trend is only good for picking up my dogs crap with.

Someone on IS.net said it perfect. They loved the last IS 300, they asked for more space, a better interior and speed. The IS is larger, the inteiror is best in class, the acceleration is best in class. And they still won't give it to the IS.

Oh well, all 3 are good cars and the IS is just superb. IMO, the only reason to get the BMW is if you need a manual and truly value its awesome steering feel (it is sensational). I think ALL threee look EXCELLENT from an exterior standpoint.

I am still shocked at how fast that new C350 has gotten!!

Old 01-02-06, 08:19 PM
LexFather

And honestly, Lexus needs to suck it up and make manuals for its higher power cars. That is the bottom line. Lexus may never have a SALES issue, but they will have an enthusiast issue if they refuse to put manuals in their high power cars.

Old 01-02-06, 08:29 PM
GFerg
Speaks French in Russian

Received 58 Likes on 45 Posts

I actually thought this review was wack. Not because of the fact that the IS didnt win, but everything was so predictable, word for word. maybe because I've read so many 3-series vs. IS reviews, but they basically skimmed over everything. Not really detailed and substantial.
Old 01-02-06, 08:37 PM
CK6Speed
Super Moderator

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I too am kind of shocked with the C350 performance and price. I expect the IS350 to be the fastest of the bunch, the 330 to drive the best, and I would have thought the C350 to be the heaviest and worst handling of them all by far. The C350 turned out to be the 2nd fastest, nearly as light as the BMW, and the cheapest
Old 01-02-06, 08:44 PM
Gojirra99
Super Moderator

Received 189 Likes on 130 Posts

0.85g for the IS350 is not bad with the VDIM , the bimmer doesn't really handle much better with it's nannies turned off, but it's aways their unmatched steering feel & feedback which makes the drivers feel better about themselves than with the others, that always wins comparisons for them, despite being the slowest.
Old 01-02-06, 10:06 PM
STIG
Lexus Test Driver

3 series won again!

3 series are gerat car but it didnt do it for me. (as soon as I sat in that interior which is a little bit better than my old 88 toyota corolla, I knew I dont want that car even if it can fly ) So, I went to Lexus get the IS350 instead.
Old 01-03-06, 05:32 PM
GlobeCLK
Lexus Fanatic

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

predictable outcome. But I just don't understand what's the fuss about the driving experience of the 3 series. Sure it handles great, no doubt about that I've driven a few. But in the real world, 99% of drivers who want "performance" vehicles on the road will be utilizing the STRAIGHT LINE performance, on the streets or highways or wherever.

Honestly, "feeling" fast and actually going fast is not the same. What's the point of "feeling sporty" on the highway in a 330i when you're admiring IS350's taillights? How many average citizens, including the magazine editors, actually take their own cars to the track? A small percentage I tell you.

The IS350 looks better (especially the interior when compared to the new 3), has better quality materials, better reliability, and now better 0-60 and 1/4 mile performance. Placing the 330i head of the IS350 just because it feels better when driven doesn't cut it in my book.

I'm not trying to bash on the 330i but com'mon everyone, besides "feeling sporty", what else can't the IS350 beat the 330i in?
Old 01-03-06, 07:53 PM
doug_999
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by GlobeCLK
predictable outcome. But I just don't understand what's the fuss about the driving experience of the 3 series. Sure it handles great, no doubt about that I've driven a few. But in the real world, 99% of drivers who want "performance" vehicles on the road will be utilizing the STRAIGHT LINE performance, on the streets or highways or wherever.

Honestly, "feeling" fast and actually going fast is not the same. What's the point of "feeling sporty" on the highway in a 330i when you're admiring IS350's taillights? How many average citizens, including the magazine editors, actually take their own cars to the track? A small percentage I tell you.

The IS350 looks better (especially the interior when compared to the new 3), has better quality materials, better reliability, and now better 0-60 and 1/4 mile performance. Placing the 330i head of the IS350 just because it feels better when driven doesn't cut it in my book.

I'm not trying to bash on the 330i but com'mon everyone, besides "feeling sporty", what else can't the IS350 beat the 330i in?
Actually more people say "Why do you need all of that power? Where are you going to use it?". They have a point - in traffic, the IS350 is not going to beat a 330, nor a Civic for that matter.

Regarding reliability, there is no reliability data on either car yet - so while the IS will probably have better reilabiltiy, it does not at this point.

Regarding materials - why do you say the IS350 has better quality materials? What makes them better in the IS vs the 330?

Regarding looks - no argument there - but that's our opinion, I'm sure others would disagree.

In short, I think that people spending $40K in this market space are looking for fun - and it seems that the 330 just does a better job.

Originally Posted by LexusLuver
turbo hardware is neither light or cheap. I think Toyota will probably drop a V8 in the IS soon.
Still probably lighter than droping a bigger engine in there. I am curious however why you would say that Lexus would drop a V8 in the IS soon?
Old 01-04-06, 02:10 AM
CK6Speed
Super Moderator

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by genearch
Quote possibly and rumors galore. At that point, they win the straight line race. (still) The bigger question is "how will Lexus approach the steering feel" of the BMW and to a lesser extent the MB? MB deserves credit, they have been working hard on the handling/feel aspect (as evidenced in the CLS line)

Also, what happens to the weight distribution of the IS with a V8?
Suppose a IS500 (or likely 460) hits the street? Will there be a market for an IS with maybe a $10-$12K premium? (would it be that much?)
Isn't the IS350 "good enough" or does the market demand/require an additional 60 or so HP?

Add $12K (maybe too much of a guess) to the IS and you are nearing M3 territory. While the M3 is in a market of it's own, they have generally sold like hot cakes. I don't really follow the 3 series, but I seem to recall they were talking 400+ HP for the 2006 M3.

Also, who knows what MB has up their sleeve?

Right or wrong, people would be more inclined to pay $60K for an M3 or MB than they would for an IS460
This I have to agree fully. Lexus did a great job with the IS. I was very exicted when the news of the new IS started coming out. The IS is the perfect car for Lexus owners who want more sport. However, once the IS actually hit the streets and most of us had a chance to check them out, I realized that the IS will not win over many BMW 3 series drivers. They will get a lot of new buyers, but IMHO few BMW drivers will switch over. The things BMW drivers like and want are the things that Lexus owners don't want so Lexus will never build a car that way.

The IS doesn't need a bigger engine or more HP to compete with an M3. It needs better steering feedback and driving dynamics. These are things that Lexus just wont build in their cars right now as it goes against their bread and butter buyers. As for price, without that driving feel, I too would pay the money for the M3 over the IS460 or whatever it's called even if the IS is faster.

Quick Reply: Feb. MT Comparo: 1) 330i, 2) IS350, 3) C350