Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Preview Pics of '06 Project Vehicle : BENTLEY CONTINENTAL GT

Search this Thread

Old 12-19-05, 04:44 PM
TXSTYLE
Lexus Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by D2-AUTOSPORT
Hey guys we have a few vehicles that we are gearing up as projects for the 2006 Show Season to demonstrate D2-AUTOSPORT's expertise. I just wanted to share a few quick shots that I snapped of one of them. Its a 2005 Bentley Continental GT. (no it is not my personal car! lol)

The Pertinent info:

EXTERIOR COLOR :
NEPTUNE BLUE

WHEELS / TIRES :
3PC FORGED DONZ COSTELLO
22x9 FRONT 265/30-22
22x10.5 REAR 295/25-22

SUSPENSION :
Electronic Lowering Module

MISC :
50% / 35% window tinting

FUTURE :
KREISIEG Valvetronic Exhaust
GIAC Performance Software upgrade (additional 100hp)
MANSORY Rear Trunk Lip
BENTLEY OEM Chrome Lower Grille inserts

THESE ARE FROM TONIGHT, AFTER WE TWEAKED THE FRONT HEIGHT

I've said it once...... And I will continue to say it:

"SEX ON WHEELS"

Explain the 'Electronic Lowering Module' in detail...?
Old 12-19-05, 04:47 PM
LexFather

OMG!!! I have to say at first, i didn't like this cars looks but as of late, I've seen a few in Atlanta and in PERSON, they look STUNNING. Not sure how or why but it COMMANDS attention.

GREAT WORK D-2!!

Old 12-19-05, 04:58 PM
GFerg
Speaks French in Russian

Received 57 Likes on 44 Posts

Originally Posted by 1SICKLEX
OMG!!! I have to say at first, i didn't like this cars looks but as of late, I've seen a few in Atlanta and in PERSON, they look STUNNING. Not sure how or why but it COMMANDS attention.

GREAT WORK D-2!!
Cause a 2 door coupe should never be that HUGE!! But I really love the look.
Old 12-19-05, 05:10 PM
D2-AUTOSPORT
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by WHTCGT
In case you'd like to see a different, but similarly equipped GT, here's some shots of my 2006. D2 and I have chatted a number of times, comparing notes as to the optimum set up. We've both pretty much landed on the same page (figuratively and now literally).
Hey Bud, thanks for chiming in, as I said previously love your setup as well. The KREISIEG uses the OEM tips if you choose so you can just look at the rear OEM and thats the look you will have. Talk to you soon!!
Old 12-19-05, 05:21 PM
LexFather

In case you'd like to see a different, but similarly equipped GT, here's some shots of my 2006. D2 and I have chatted a number of times, comparing notes as to the optimum set up. We've both pretty much landed on the same page (figuratively and now literally).

This is an Arctic White 2006 Continental GT with 22" HRE 940 series wheels, Mansory rear lip and chromed lower grills, lowered with an H&R electronic module, flashed with the GIAC ECM upgrade —adding about 95 hp and 115 ft/lbs of torque— a Dension Icelink Plus iPod integration system plus an additional subwoofer and power amp and the Calibre K40 Bluetooth Radar Detector with Laser Diffuser. A few more post pic additions include smoking out the tail lights and the side reflectors. All in all, a well received look and a ride that performs exceptionally well.

Enjoy!

Pics to follow...

PS
Nice to see some familiar names from my old stomping grounds...
I just shot one off that looks incredible!! Loss for words, thanks for sharing

Old 12-19-05, 07:29 PM
WHTCGT
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by TXSTYLE
Explain the 'Electronic Lowering Module' in detail...?
When a vehicle has an electronically controlled suspension system, there are usually a number of ways to lower the car strictly by adjusting electronic settings — without any physical alteration of the suspension whatsoever. In the case of the CGT, If you need moderate height adjustment a certified Bentley tech using factory diagnostic equipment can reset the “zero point” of the suspension, thereby fooling the car's systems to set a ride height that is lower than stock. There's a limit to how low you can get the car, though, without triggering fault codes.

Some shops move or otherwise alter the sensors. This will get the car lowered, but will trigger fault codes at best and disable many of the vehicle's safety features at worst. The GT has a dynamic electronic suspension that automatically changes the ride height according to speed, road conditions and other input sensed by the vehicle. For example, the Continental GT is programmed to lower itself at 80 mph and again at 130 mph. If ride height has been adjusted in a manner that does not take this into account, you could be in for trouble. At 80mph it may mean simple tire rubbing. At 130 mph it could mean far worse.

The car is also designed to have ESP/ABC (ride/traction control) take over the suspension to optimize handling or to keep the vehicle from losing control. The vehicle can actually alter ride height at each wheel independently, depending on need. So, moving the sensors or trying to otherwise lower the vehicle through physical means can be downright dangerous. In the case of emergency braking, evasive maneuvers or any other action that would normally require the intervention of electronically assisted handling, a disabled sensor or improperly lowered car could mean disaster.

To be overly simplistic, an electronic lowering module takes all of this into account and allows the entire system to work as it should, albeit at a lowered ride height.

The module is a “black box” interface that is wired in line with the vehicle's computer control network to electronically lower the car without interfering with any of the factory installed safety features. It has special code written specifically for that vehicle to intercept the computer signal communications that are being distributed between the various computer subsystems that involve suspension and vehicle control; it then re-transmits these signals and commands such that they are properly interpreted by the vehicle to retain stock features, maximize control and not trigger any fault codes.
Old 12-19-05, 08:44 PM
D2-AUTOSPORT
Former Sponsor

In the case of the CGT, If you need moderate height adjustment a certified Bentley tech using factory diagnostic equipment can reset the “zero point” of the suspension, thereby fooling the car's systems to set a ride height that is lower than stock. There's a limit to how low you can get the car, though, without triggering fault codes.
Perfectly stated and in additon, unlike some MB Vehicles which be lowered up to 1-1.25" via this method, the Bentley can only be lowered 18mm!! Hardly enough to compensate for a 22" wheel package!
Old 12-19-05, 08:54 PM
D2-AUTOSPORT
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by MadMax96
Dayum... looks sweet! Is that color a factory color or custom? Not my first choice if it was mine, but it does look good.

Those wheels really fill out the fenders well!
That is a OEM color, and glad you like the wheel spec!
Old 12-19-05, 11:19 PM
Overclocker
G35x - RWD/AWD goodness

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Both cars look AMAZING! I can’t believe you can do so much with such a relatively new car.

And WHTCGT, you really know your stuff. Looks like you really do your homework.
Old 12-19-05, 11:28 PM
WHTCGT
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Overclocker
Looks like you really do your homework.
When you're going to spend that kind of dough, you really HAVE to before diving into any after market upgrades. My goal is always to improve looks and performance while trying not to detract from OEM design elements, features and technology.
Old 12-20-05, 12:07 AM
whoster
Lexus Test Driver

i saw one of these this afternoon parked in front of an apartment complex...

gotta love socal.
Old 12-20-05, 05:12 AM
TwentyTen
Lexus Champion

Woooooooooooo. Sex on wheels! Beautiful!

//
Old 12-20-05, 07:13 AM
Lexis11
Lexus Champion

WHTCGT: My god I am at a loss for words. That car is prolly one of mt favorite cars I have ever seen. White Bentley just incredible. Job well done
Old 12-20-05, 01:05 PM
Wheel Experts

Looks great D! Keep up the good work!
Old 12-20-05, 03:53 PM
TXSTYLE
Lexus Fanatic

Thumbs up

When a vehicle has an electronically controlled suspension system, there are usually a number of ways to lower the car strictly by adjusting electronic settings — without any physical alteration of the suspension whatsoever. In the case of the CGT, If you need moderate height adjustment a certified Bentley tech using factory diagnostic equipment can reset the “zero point” of the suspension, thereby fooling the car's systems to set a ride height that is lower than stock. There's a limit to how low you can get the car, though, without triggering fault codes.

Some shops move or otherwise alter the sensors. This will get the car lowered, but will trigger fault codes at best and disable many of the vehicle's safety features at worst. The GT has a dynamic electronic suspension that automatically changes the ride height according to speed, road conditions and other input sensed by the vehicle. For example, the Continental GT is programmed to lower itself at 80 mph and again at 130 mph. If ride height has been adjusted in a manner that does not take this into account, you could be in for trouble. At 80mph it may mean simple tire rubbing. At 130 mph it could mean far worse.

The car is also designed to have ESP/ABC (ride/traction control) take over the suspension to optimize handling or to keep the vehicle from losing control. The vehicle can actually alter ride height at each wheel independently, depending on need. So, moving the sensors or trying to otherwise lower the vehicle through physical means can be downright dangerous. In the case of emergency braking, evasive maneuvers or any other action that would normally require the intervention of electronically assisted handling, a disabled sensor or improperly lowered car could mean disaster.

To be overly simplistic, an electronic lowering module takes all of this into account and allows the entire system to work as it should, albeit at a lowered ride height.

The module is a “black box” interface that is wired in line with the vehicle's computer control network to electronically lower the car without interfering with any of the factory installed safety features. It has special code written specifically for that vehicle to intercept the computer signal communications that are being distributed between the various computer subsystems that involve suspension and vehicle control; it then re-transmits these signals and commands such that they are properly interpreted by the vehicle to retain stock features, maximize control and not trigger any fault codes.

Good answer. And Great ride!

Quick Reply: Preview Pics of '06 Project Vehicle : BENTLEY CONTINENTAL GT