Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Lexus GR-series engine on Ward Top 10 Best Engines

Search this Thread

Old 12-10-05, 06:04 PM
GFerg
Speaks French in Russian

Received 58 Likes on 45 Posts
Default Lexus GR-series engine on Ward Top 10 Best Engines

Ward’s Names 10 Best Engines for 2006
By Ward’s Staff
WardsAuto.com, Dec 9 2005

Packaging, technology, power and fuel economy highlighted as Ward’s editors select the best powertrains of the new model year.

SOUTHFIELD, MI – The winners of Ward’s 10 Best Engines awards for 2006 demonstrate U.S. auto consumers still can have it all: Many of the winning engines highlight sophisticated new technology that generates exhilarating performance – but also improves fuel economy.

The 2006 list marks the 12th year for the Ward’s 10 Best Engines program, the auto industry’s highly anticipated annual barometer of powertrain prowess.

This year’s winners, as well as the vehicles tested, include:
- Audi AG: 2L FSI turbocharged DOHC I-4 (Audi A3)
- Audi AG: 4.2L DOHC V-8 (Audi S4)
- BMW AG: 3L DOHC I-6 (330i)
- DaimlerChrysler AG:5.7L Hemi Magnum OHV V-8 (Dodge Charger R/T)
- Ford Motor Co.: 4.6L SOHC V-8 (Mustang GT)
- General Motors Corp.: 2L supercharged DOHC I-4 (Chevrolet Cobalt SS)
- General Motors Corp.: 2.8L turbocharged DOHC V-6 (Saab 9-3 Aero)
- Mazda Motor Corp.: 2.3L DISI turbocharged DOHC I-4 (Mazdaspeed 6)
- Nissan Motor Co. Ltd.: 3.5L DOHC V-6 (Infiniti G35 6MT)
- Toyota Motor Corp.: 3.5L DOHC V-6 (Lexus IS 350)

Two important engineering developments are front and center for several engines on this year’s list: direct-injection gasoline (DIG) technology and forced induction. These systems allow engineers to develop engines that generate startling power yet return acceptable fuel economy.

DIG technology is emerging as one of the powertrain sector’s most promising new developments. Injecting fuel directly into each of the engine’s cylinders produces outstanding performance and emissions improvements for new-generation diesels. Engineers now are using the technology for gasoline engines to generate improved low- and mid-range torque and in many cases to conserve fuel.

DIG systems are featured on three of this year’s 10 Best Engines winners.

{The three winning engines with DIG technology:
- Audi’s 2L FSI DOHC I-4.
- Mazda's 2.3L DISI DOHC I-4
- Toyota's 3.5L DOHC V-6} "Generating a new benchmark of 306 hp from its normally aspirated 3.5L, the new Lexus V-6 adds a novel approach of combining DIG with a conventional port fuel-injection system to deliver its high horsepower combined with an impressive EPA fuel economy rating of 21 mpg(11 L/100 km) in the city and 28 mpg (8 L/100 km) on the highway."

“DIG technology is the most important development the powertrain sector has seen in this decade,” says Bill Visnic, Ward’s senior technical editor.

“Particularly combined with turbocharging, direct injection for gasoline engines is permitting engineers to design smaller, more power-dense engines that provide the ever-higher performance levels that customers have come to expect,” Visnic says.

The only engine to win a 10 Best Engines award every year since the program’s inception, Nissan engineers improve the sterling “VQ” V-6 with new levels of power and torque for 2006.

Its 298 hp (as used in the Infiniti G35 with manual transmission) rivals or beats many V-8s, while delivering the levels of refinement that have been a hallmark of the “VQ” modular engine series since its inception more than a decade ago.

During a 2-month test period, six Ward’s editors evaluated engines from 31 different cars, trucks and SUVs. Scoring encompassed the crucial engine characteristics of power; torque; noise, vibration and harshness (NVH); technical relevance and basic comparative numbers. All engines nominated and tested were in vehicles with a base suggested retail price under $52,500.

Details of the 10 Best Engines will be featured in Ward’s AutoWorld magazine, Ward’s Engine & Vehicle Technology Update and on www.WardsAuto.com in January 2006.
Old 12-10-05, 06:17 PM
encore888
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Excellent! Seems the top 3 of C&D's comparo all made the list.
Old 12-10-05, 06:31 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 184 Likes on 143 Posts

very nice! don't know all the engines, but the ones i know, they are well worth it
Old 12-11-05, 12:23 AM
newr
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=191118
Old 12-12-05, 03:48 AM
Och
Lexus Champion

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

It's unbelievable - they put all these pathetic bmw and audi engines on the list, and then the GM crap, meanwhile why not include 3.2 and 3.5 acura engines, the 4.5 from m45, the 3.5 from avalon. This list sucks.
Old 12-12-05, 07:30 AM
Gojirra99
Super Moderator

Received 189 Likes on 130 Posts

The engines you mentioned may be great engines too, but why are the Audi & BMW engines on the list pathetic ?
Old 12-12-05, 07:41 AM
GFerg
Speaks French in Russian

Received 58 Likes on 45 Posts

Originally Posted by AmethySC
The engines you mentioned may be great engines too, but why are the Audi & BMW engines on the list pathetic ?
+1 to that. Bimmer engine even though not as powerful as IS 3.5L is still a very good engine. It encorporates some advancements such as the use of Magnesium in the engine while delievering better performance and a slight improvement in fuel efficiency. And the Audi engine just like the Lexus engine uses DIG but with a turbo. That engine I have personal experience with and truely understnad why that is on the list. Torquey flat powerband, almost nonexsistant turbo lag. Coupled with the DSG well you got yourself one awsome combiation. Definitely one of the better small engines in its class. The Audi V8, well who could complain about a high and fast revving V8 engine.