Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.
View Poll Results: Do You Park Face Out or Butt Out?
I park face out
54.79%
I park butt out
23.29%
I have no preference and think AsianGirl should obey parking laws
20.55%
I always valet park
1.37%
Voters: 73. You may not vote on this poll

Do You Park Face Out or Butt Out?

Search this Thread

Old 11-29-05, 11:59 PM
AsianGirl007
Lexus Diva

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thumbs down Do You Park Face Out or Butt Out?

So I park in a structure today. I always park face out and back it in, just habit I guess for a number of reasons. I used to valet park cars at a restaurant while in college, I worked at car dealership for a long tine, I feel it's easier to park and exit, thieves can crouch down to hide in your front seat while trying to steal everything in your glove box, and I just feel it's safer overall.

It turns out parking face out is illegal in this structure and I got a $35 ticket. It actually says "backed in" for reason on the ticket itself.

Old 11-30-05, 12:01 AM
mikal
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

yea, some structures have signs that says "do not back in"

Where was this at if you dont mine me askin.
Old 11-30-05, 12:04 AM
AsianGirl007
Lexus Diva

Yeah, it turns out there were signs all over the place. It was at the structure for the Mann 10 theater on Maryland Ave. in Glendale.
Old 11-30-05, 12:09 AM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 184 Likes on 143 Posts

well law is law, nothing to say about it. not like this is the only dumb stupid retarded law i have seen anyway. still gotta follow it, but that only proves how stupid those who setup the laws are. probably they don't eve know how to control the car correctly in reverse.....

parking the car face out is actually safer in most cases than butt out, coz' when you leave you don't have to back out the car where you are often blinded, plus it will take longer

for example, in hong kong, if you park butt out? good luck in getting out
Old 11-30-05, 02:25 AM
AJ
Lexus Champion

I've been doing face out for a long time , easier to get out
Old 11-30-05, 03:57 AM
GS300Rich
Lexus Fanatic

What is the problem with backing in? I back my car in everywhere. It is just much easier to get out and I am used to it by now
Old 11-30-05, 05:17 AM
Inabj2
Lexus Champion

Under whose authority is the ticket given? Is this backed in anyways with your local law enforcement?

Or is it given by some mickey mouse security guard? Who do you pay the fine too?
Old 11-30-05, 05:30 AM
picus
Lexus Test Driver

My home parking is in a parking garage - always face out. I don't think I'd pay that ticket.
Old 11-30-05, 05:58 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 83 Likes on 82 Posts

Well, Liz....I've been wondering what you drive. I see it is either a pearl white or silver IS...can't quite make out the color. Nice car.

That ticket, IMO, is nonsense.....especially if it was not issued by a sanctioned CA law enforcement authority. I personally see nothing wrong with what you did, and I would first contact someone in authority from the organization who issued it. If that doesn't help, I would consider taking the case to traffic court if it was issued by a County or State organization, or to small-claims court if it was a private company....in DC they have special traffic-adjucation hearings that take care of small things like parking tickets.

However, consider two things if you choose this route...especially if you win. First, it may cost money to do this...I don't know if CA has filing fees for cases like this....so if you lose you'll either have to pay more or appeal...which could cost even more money. Second, if you win, the people who gave you the ticket may be angry that they lost and, if you keep parking there, could try and get even by keying your paint job or letting air out of your tires....so that's a decision you'll have to make if you want to take that chance.

Good Luck.
Old 11-30-05, 05:59 AM
Gojirra99
Super Moderator

Received 187 Likes on 128 Posts

Originally Posted by rominl
well law is law, nothing to say about it. not like this is the only dumb stupid retarded law i have seen anyway. still gotta follow it, but that only proves how stupid those who setup the laws are. probably they don't eve know how to control the car correctly in reverse.....

parking the car face out is actually safer in most cases than butt out, coz' when you leave you don't have to back out the car where you are often blinded, plus it will take longer

for example, in hong kong, if you park butt out? good luck in getting out
Yes, I often, but not always park face out , because I think it's safer. I know in HK, you're required to park faceout in your driver's license test.
Old 11-30-05, 06:04 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 83 Likes on 82 Posts

Sorry.....to answer the original question, I usually park face-out at home, at work on the days I don't use mass transit, and face-in at most other places.
Old 11-30-05, 06:44 AM
adidosc
Lexus Champion

most of the time i'm face in. but, at work and in the driveway at home i prefer to pull out instead of backing out. it takes more time when you park, but its so much more convienient when you leave.
Old 11-30-05, 06:47 AM
EvgeshaIS300
Lexus Test Driver

face out for me, also valet parking habit. used to pack 100 cars in parkinglot that is marked for only 40 cars. fun days
Old 11-30-05, 06:54 AM
mkorsu
Zombie Slayer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by rominl
well law is law, nothing to say about it. not like this is the only dumb stupid retarded law i have seen anyway.

Sucks, I know, but if there was signage there may be little recourse.

As for stupid laws, we have one here in Jersey (only pertains to Newark, NJ), that says you cannot sell ice cream after 6pm!!! And if you do, purchaser must have a prescription!

Just one of those old laws on the books that no one cared to ammend or remove.

This one just sounds to be a revenue generator!
Old 11-30-05, 06:59 AM
Milla...

I would really like to know the reason why they made parking face-in against the law. Does it have to do with License plates since many doesen't have'em on the front...I recently got a ticket as well for backing in, yes there were signs everywhere I just wasn't paying attention. Micky the garage secrity gard issued the ticket and I suppose they have every right to enforce their parking laws there were signs so I had to pay seeing I was in direct violation, I mean what is there to fight?

Quick Reply: Do You Park Face Out or Butt Out?