Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

SO.... how big of a piece of junk is the Jeep Liberty? Answer.....

Search this Thread

Old 11-29-05, 09:07 PM
O. L. T.
Keeper of the light

Received 335 Likes on 221 Posts
Default SO.... how big of a piece of junk is the Jeep Liberty? Answer.....

http://videos.streetfire.net/Player....D0A91DF965&p=0

It lasted about 8 seconds. Liberty.... the soccer mom - on road only - Jeep for the next generation of SUV/off road 4wd vehicles that are COMPLETELY WORTHLESS.
Old 11-29-05, 09:12 PM
aliti19
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hahaha - what a POS!
I never liked those things.
Old 11-29-05, 09:14 PM
IronCobra
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Anyone who would take a SUV up a incline like that and come down on the drive shaft is an idiot.
Old 11-29-05, 09:18 PM
O. L. T.
Keeper of the light

Originally Posted by IronCobra
Anyone who would take a SUV up a incline like that and come down on the drive shaft is an idiot.
A CJ7 could do it all day long.
Old 11-29-05, 09:23 PM
IronCobra
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by O. L. T.
A CJ7 could do it all day long.
True, but a CJ has about 5 additional inches of clearance, it's shorter, and the driveshaft wouldn't even have touched the ground.. Plus it's not a soccermom vehicle.
Old 11-29-05, 09:37 PM
O. L. T.
Keeper of the light

Originally Posted by IronCobra
True, but a CJ has about 5 additional inches of clearance, it's shorter, and the driveshaft wouldn't even have touched the ground.. Plus it's not a soccermom vehicle.
4 good reasons why the Liberty is junk and it shouldn't be called a jeep
Old 11-29-05, 09:44 PM
adidosc
Lexus Champion

no biggie, people don't buy 4x4 vehicles to take them offroad anyway.
Old 11-29-05, 09:44 PM
GFerg
Speaks French in Russian

Received 58 Likes on 45 Posts

LMAO. To think that the Liberty is a serious off roader is silly. It should be illegal to take a Jeep Liberty off roading.

Last edited by magneto112; 11-29-05 at 10:02 PM.
Old 11-29-05, 09:59 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 184 Likes on 143 Posts

damn now that's a real pos.... and it used to be one of big climbing machine...
Old 11-29-05, 10:06 PM
O. L. T.
Keeper of the light

thems Jeep parts on the ground right thar
Old 11-29-05, 10:16 PM
Trexus

Received 38 Likes on 27 Posts

That's a real big POS. My brother was about to get a Jeep Liberty but instead he got the Jeep Wrangler. I think that was a good choice. He should have really got a Lexus instead, that would have been the best choice.
Old 11-29-05, 10:27 PM
chuckb
Lexus Fanatic

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

are you sure that's real? those parts laying in the dirt looked staged. and there was no fluid on them....
Old 11-30-05, 07:04 AM
mkorsu
Zombie Slayer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I don't know if I would call the Liberty a total POS. Most every SUV built today can't perform even the most mundane 4 wheeling activities. They are just LARGE highway/street cruisers.

The driver on the other hand. Without a doubt.....total tool!
Old 11-30-05, 08:17 AM
Faraaz23
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Well I'd call the Jeep Liberty a giant POS considering Jeep is marketing them as "trail rated" and always shows them off roading in ads. Also, Jeeps claim to fame is off-road prowess.

But I'm really not kidding, this thing is the biggest POS i've ever had. A couple months ago, we dropped the ES with Tom Wood Lexus in Indianapolis for some repairs. The night before, they actually said we'd get a GS300 loaner (yes a 3GS!!!), but when I got there... yup you guessed it, no loaners were available for me (a GS owner must've brought their car in for service or something) and they had Enterprise drop off a Liberty for me to drive (on their expense of course). So I drove this thing for about two days, both highway and city. I can positively say I've never driven a worse car in my life. Steering is horrible, its highly unstable at freeway speeds, its SLOOOOWWWWWWWW, its choppy, the interior feels like the inside of a Tonka Truck at best, its loud, unrefined, sloppy. Button layout was poor as were ergonomics. The ONLY positive thing about this was this the rear windshield was large and there were almost no blind spots, which I was actually kind of impressed by.
Old 11-30-05, 08:53 AM
Lil4X
Out of Warranty

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts
Red face "Hey, where'd the road g . . (THUD!!)

Lesson NUMBER ONE in off-roading: never EVER drive over a crest you haven't inspected ON FOOT. As this guy found out, there may be NOTHING on the other side. Once the front wheels cleared the crest, that Liberty smacked down on the frame rails, taking out the front drive shaft. The Liberty is actually a pretty tough little off-roader, a fair compromise between an SUV and a Wrangler. Two FEET of ground clearance probably wouldn't have helped in this case.

I learned off-roading on a motorcycle - where the consequences of driving into an unknown situation is almost always painful, since YOU are usually the first at the scene of the accident. If you can't see what you're up against, get out and WALK. This applies to rocks, holes, crests, logs, and water crossings. Remember, it's probably a long walk home. (Worse on a bike, where you may have a broken leg or two to add to the degree of difficulty rating.)

The layout of the broken front drive shaft, the front diff, and half-shafts, and asssorted hardware was probably staged after the fact, since these items seldom break away so cleanly. It looks like most of that was disassembled.

Some folks buy a Jeep or other off-road capable vehicle but fail to get any instruction on the sport. The result is illustrated in the video. If you want to take a vehicle off-road, the easiest thing to do is visit a 4X4 club that has regular trail rides - go see for yourself what it's like, first as a spectator. Don't undertake the rough stuff until you've had a little experience. Oh, and always ride with others . . . just in case.

Quick Reply: SO.... how big of a piece of junk is the Jeep Liberty? Answer.....