Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Has anyone else noticed that some drivers do this?

Search this Thread

Old 11-29-05, 07:10 AM
diablo1
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

BTW how do I change the name of this post? I changed the title of the original post, but it didn't change. I want to make it something less inflammatory.
Old 11-29-05, 07:51 AM
Lexus3oi
Rookie

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by maz
So if someone is driving the speed limit on the far left lane, and you pull up behind them from a high rate of speed, say 100mph, you can flash your lights or honk and they legally have to move out of your way?
hell yes!!...there is no reason to get insulted or pissed off...just get over as soon as you can...although i think just quickly flashing your lights is much more courteous than honking your horn

i lived in California for a few years, and while living there, i started using the phrase "California Drivers"...and by this i meant exactly what's being discussed here...people limping along in the left lane when other lanes are wide open....yeah, i like to cruise at a decent speed, and i think having to swerve in & out of traffic, passing people on the right, is dangerous & unnecesary if people would respect the passing lane (far left lane)

also, YOU do not decide how fast is too fast...that's for the cops...so just because you're cruising in the left lane faster than other traffic, it doesn't mean no one else is allowed to go even faster...so again, if you're in the left lane & someone comes up on your rear at a faster speed, move over when possible

i DO NOT mean to insult California drivers by my phrase, it's just a phrase i've been using for a few years, even while living here in Texas

and i drive an M3 for whatever that's worth
Old 11-29-05, 08:24 AM
unit74
Lexus Test Driver

When traffic is heavy in all lanes, and total freeway speeds are reduced, common sense would tell us that the flash and get out of the way tactic is just not practical. After all, where are you going to go when the front driver does move over? About another 10 feet forward, and then your coming to a stop?

I get a chuckle out of "Lane Jockies" many times. Dodging back and fourth through lanes.........The when traffic clears, you'll see them about 10 cars ahead of you. Whn you break it down into FPS and then seconds traveled, at 65 your looking at a 4.5 second time difference.........The risk taken vs. advantages are not worth it!
Old 11-29-05, 08:36 AM
Lexus3oi
Rookie

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by unit74
When traffic is heavy in all lanes, and total freeway speeds are reduced, common sense would tell us that the flash and get out of the way tactic is just not practical.
i completely agree....that's why i said "people limping along in the left lane when other lanes are wide open...obviously, if it's bumper to bumper traffic in all lanes, getting ahead of 1 or 2 people accomplishes nothing....my comments only apply to when traffic is relatively light, but people still insist on cruising in the left lane....i always wondered, is it some perceived safety issue that causes people to cruise in the far left lane ?...i also see this all the time on interstates
Old 11-29-05, 08:57 AM
unit74
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by Lexus3oi
i i always wondered, is it some perceived safety issue that causes people to cruise in the far left lane ?...i also see this all the time on interstates

I have been told on occasion, that driving in the left lane is safer. There is no merging traffic nor is there an additional lane to worry about to your left. In some cases, this might hold true. But in reality, if traffic is flowing, their perceived "safety" might actually cause a collision behind them.

Same goes for the tractor trailers who insist on traveling in the #2 lane on a 3 lane freeway. They are in essence, a rolling road block. And I have yet to understand the psychology about it, but drivers have a tendency to slow down when passing semi's compounding the problem.

In todays society, traveling at the speed limit is not what the limit should actually be. Speed surveys are costly and expected to last for at least 5-10 years. But with our latests and greatest cars coming with airbags everywhere, the majority of todays California drivers are comfortable traveling between 80 and 85 mph.. I'm sure that if a current survey was completed, the 85th percentile would result in a limit between 75 and 8o on most freeweys not within the congested area such as Frisco or LA. The I-15 and I-5 should no doubt be at least 80mph. Hell, if your doing that now, your still being passed at 10mph faster cars. Even the semis are doing 70!
Old 11-29-05, 09:03 AM
JesseWin
Driver School Candidate

No BMW's yet, they stick behind me. But the Infiniti crowd seems to think they own grand prix race cars. They pull up and do the speed up slow down and then take off. Had one 1st gen IS do the same thing, some younger kid pulled up and raced off. He slowed down and flipped me off and mouthed some words.
Old 11-29-05, 09:22 AM
r4z0r3ck
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by unit74
In todays society, traveling at the speed limit is not what the limit should actually be. Speed surveys are costly and expected to last for at least 5-10 years. But with our latests and greatest cars coming with airbags everywhere, the majority of todays California drivers are comfortable traveling between 80 and 85 mph.. I'm sure that if a current survey was completed, the 85th percentile would result in a limit between 75 and 8o on most freeweys not within the congested area such as Frisco or LA. The I-15 and I-5 should no doubt be at least 80mph. Hell, if your doing that now, your still being passed at 10mph faster cars. Even the semis are doing 70!
on a side note most cars back in the days when driving 75 it seemed superfast... however with dampening and cabin quieting, 75-80 seems like no biggie.
Old 11-29-05, 09:23 AM
Incendiary
Lexus Test Driver

I've always driven fast, whether in my Honda, MB, or BMW. Have yet to own a Mustang or Corvette...

Flashing may be written into the CA traffic codes, but doing it pretty much anywhere in the US will get you killed nowadays. People think it's an affront to them if you want to go faster. Sheesh, driver's ed in the US blows.
Old 11-29-05, 09:25 AM
SoCalSC4
Lexus Champion

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts

The reality is that there are all types of aggressive drivers driving all kind of vehicles.

Personally, over the last decade I have noticed that Ford Ranger drivers and Mustang drivers to be particularly aggressive, and drivers of larger SUVs aggressive, often using the size of their SUVs to try and intimidate drivers of smaller vehicles.

One of my cars is an '85 MR2 - in spite of the fact that this car is brilliant red and has huge wheels on it, it seems to be invisible on the freeway. I have had SUV drivers change lanes right in front of me, or even while next to me. This is a problem with any kind of low car- NSX, F355, even a CRX. Driving a car like this makes you aware of staying out of other driver's blind spots - heck, I try not to even drive next to other vehicles. And when I initiate a pass, I pass quickly and get away from the other vehicle a bit.

I also believe the left lane is for passing . Having had most of my driving experience in California, I agree that far to many drivers merge onto a five-lane freeway and go immediately to the left lane, where they drive 60 mph. What gives? Check your mirrors, idiot; there are 172 cars behind you! And what about the lemmings in the Carpool lane on a Saturday (no traffic) going 55? You can go 55 in the right lane, pal. MOVE OVER. If I had a police cruiser 'push bar' on my front bumper, maybe I would give them a little "love tap" on their rear bumper. Maybe that would get their attention.

Sorry for the rant... Andy Rooney would be proud of me.
Old 11-29-05, 09:49 AM
Koma

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I had a pretty stupid driving experience this Sunday also. I was heading out on the Mass Pike from Boston to Amherst. Cruising along doing a good speed not bogging people down nor speeding. Allowing people to pass if they feel the need. It got a little congested and the entire way an A6 was alongside. I don't know what this guys issue was but as I left the highway he stuck his tongue out at me gave me a rasberry and a thumbs down. I wasn't racing this guy, I wasn't provoking him. He decided that my car was a lesser vehicle than his German built crap box. That guy made me angry oh yea I'm 19 and noticeably young and this guy was probably in his early 30s. Get a life guy and grow up, no need to bash on other drivers because they don't drive an Audi like you.
On the way back from Amherst I get a tailgating Honda Accord. This guy would not leave me the hell alone. Kept coming right up my bumper. I really wanted to tap on my brakes to make the idiot back off. Again I wasn't driving slow or agressively, wasn't provoking him. As I switch lanes to let the moron pass he follows me as if I'm trying to dodge traffic and I'm going to make way for him. So again he tailgates me as I switch lanes. I'm getting off the Pike again I'm getting annoyed with this idiots behavior so I decide to shake him. And this idiot still tries to follow me this time the exit has two lanes thank god. And he blows by me with a triumphant look on his face.

These kind of people should not get licenses. Driving is for getting from A to B. Enthused driving is for getting from A to B faster. I can even see friendly racing. But when you start to endanger those around you go do that to some other moron willing to risk their lives just to beat your car in a race. As for the first guy... what the hell?
Old 11-29-05, 09:58 AM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 184 Likes on 143 Posts

bob i totally agree with you on how stupid people (at least in cali) NOT knowing the purpose of the left lanes.... they are for passing, not for your slow *** car doing under speed limit.... often times i hit 80mph on left lane with other cars only to slam on our brakes coz' some idiots get in our ways doing 50mph. i usually pull a pretty bad one on these people by cutting in front of them close. i just can't stand them
Old 11-29-05, 10:43 AM
picus
Lexus Test Driver

I think the bottom line is that there are ***** drivers and there are non-***** drivers. I recently posted about a guy in a yukon doing all kinds of whacky things to me then later getting in an accident. Lucky for me, I now get to go to court as a witness. Hooray.
Old 11-29-05, 10:49 AM
ArmyofOne
Dysfunctional Veteran

Received 160 Likes on 112 Posts

What bothers me most, is this:

(I have seen all kinds of drivers do this, from truckers to kids in civics)

They pass cars that are running in the right lane at 65mph. thats fine. they want to pass, by all means do so. but im doing 80-85, (radar scrambler going full bore ) they cut over when im 20 feet from there bumper and proceed to pass..doing 67. 2mph more than the vehicle they are trying pass. thus taking 5 minutes to pass one truck. and guess who is stuck behind them,...thast right, Josh, doing 85 in his ZX2

would it kill them to let em go by before they just cut over. not to mention im doing 85 with the cruise control set, its damned hard to slow down to ~65 without tailgaiting, and then be able to speed back up to the speed i want to go without having the next guy do it again.

so i rarely use cruise control...and some NY drivers are about the worst.

I also would like to add, yes, i am an aggressive driver, but i WILL NOT endanger anyones life by cutting them off or surprising them. when i pas at anything over 80, a flash of the high beams and or a honk is given.

DISCLAIMER: I only do what the waether conditions dictate.

Last edited by ArmyofOne; 11-29-05 at 11:12 AM.
Old 11-29-05, 11:33 AM
timoc42
Lead Lap

Default Anyone here think flashing lights is rude?

Firstly, sorry to the many americans on this board (as im not a citizen), and Im not trying to generalize, as there's many of you good drivers.

But I have to say that many drivers here just do not have good driving habits
of moving into the right lane when not passing.

A few weeks back, I was driving up from NYC , through upstate NY to Toronto and I have to admit that I was one of the 'tailgating' drivers for a few occassions when the car in front will not budge from the left lane. Speed limit was 65, and they were doing about 70-75, but I needed to make time and go faster.
So I gave them 3 flashes and they still did not move over. I got so close to see that these drivers do not even check their rear mirrors.

With no other choice, I had to overtake on the right, and with not knowing if the guy would suddenly move right, I had to accelerate, resulting in what you see as 'peeling' away, so easy to go from 75 to 100 mph. (Not that I can help the V8 from working )

Now, if most drivers here will often check their rear-view mirrors, they will see that I am coming fast from behind them with my lights on, at about 85-90 mph, and they would safely move aside if they can and I can get on my way without slowing down.

In fact, this is what happenned on the highway from Niagara Falls to Toronto, the very straight QE highway, (forget the name), but I was just cruising at 90 mph, saw a new BMW 530i up ahead with no cars on his right side, I flashed the lights twice, and he moved over, and I kept on going.

Now, that made me smile after experiencing the hold-ups in the american side.
Old 11-29-05, 11:44 AM
mkorsu
Zombie Slayer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I experience the exact same thing Timoc. At least here in the NorthEast. People tend to just "sit" in their lane with no regard to others on the road. The art of defensive or responsive driving appears to be fading quickly!! And replacing it is beligerance and weaving in and out of traffic.

Quick Reply: Has anyone else noticed that some drivers do this?