Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Review: 2006 Buick Lucerne

Search this Thread

Old 11-19-05, 01:04 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 83 Likes on 82 Posts
Default Review: 2006 Buick Lucerne

OK, guys......save the laughing and jeering. I went and looked at this car for a reason. After posting a thread last week from an article in AUTOWEEK comparing this car to the Toyota Avalon and Lexus ES300, and getting mixed feelings and reactions about it from CL members, I said then that I would withhold my own comments ( not having had seen or driven the car ) until I had a chance to evaluate the car myself. Well, today I had that chance....and I also had a couple of requests from fellow CL members wanting my opinion of this car and my review of it. Yes, I KNOW.....this car, ( or at least the car it replaces )...... as much as I don't believe in stereotypes, DOES have a reputation as a rolling Geritol bottle....a Grandpa / Grandma-mobile. But, as always, I did not that stereotype or bias influence me at all. I evaluated this car, as I usually do, strictly on its merits....and demerits. I also wanted to see this car for myself because Bob Lutz, GM CEO and a person I generally think highly of, has announced that he is giving up his chauffer-driven Cadillac for a new Lucerne.

http://www.buick.com/lucerne/index.jsp#top

Models examined:
2006 Lucerne CX, MSRP $26,990
2006 Luverne CXL MSRP $28,990
2006 Lucerne CXS MSRP $35,990

Model tested: 2006 Lucerne CXS, price as tested $39,235.

The Lucerne CX comes with GM's age-old push-rod 3.8L V6 ( an engine I grew up with in the 1960's ); the CXL with the choice of that engine or a Cadillac-Northstar-derived V8, and the CXS strictly with the V8. All versions have a 4-speed front-drive automatic....the basic design of which goes back to the early 1980's.

PLUSSES:

Smooth, quiet, torquey V8

Soft, comfortable, sink-down-into-them cloth seats ( in base CX version )

Quiet and fairly smooth ride.........not quite as smooth as previous big Buicks....without any floating.

Firm-feel brake pedal

Lots of trunk space

Good heating / AC in the GM tradition

Well-designed, easy-to-use manual climate controls with big ***** in base model.

Power steering has some road feel.........not as numb and feathery as in past Buicks

Pop-out spring-loaded rear coat hooks are a good idea.

Exterior chrome not as cheap-looking as previous models.

MINUSES:

STILL a cheap-looking and cheap-feeling interior...especially for a Buick Flagship. In fact, I think the dash plastic and fake wood trim inside is a step DOWN from the last car, not UP.

Creak-O-Matic body structure needs improvement....it does not feel or sound solid. ( What was that you were saying, flip, about Buick frame damage in accidents? )

So-so exterior fit-and-finish, with wide panel gaps and second-rate paint job.

Steering wheel too large...felt like something out of the late 1940's.

Too-loud turn signals

Brake pedal too high......requires an awkward lift of your foot, and your foot can get caught under it.

Leather seats in CXL uncomfortable.....seams press into your back.....and the leather seats in the top-level CXS are as slippery as ice.

CXS too pricey for its quality level, in spite of what you get.

This car replaces the former Park Avenue and Ultra in the marketplace. Well, right off the bat, my first impression of this car was disappointing at best. Given Bob Lutz's public hawking of this car, it being his first choice, and the high opinion of AUTOWEEK.......I defintely expected better. While the car DOES have its good points, in general, I do not share that high opinion. I first sat in the entry-level CX, with its cheap plastic interior, flimsy glovebox, awkward column-shifter and foot-pedal parking brake, cheap-looking and cheap-feeling trim, and was immediately turned off. Yet it was the ONLY version of the three whose seats I actually liked.....reminded me of the big, soft, comfortable seats of the Buicks I grew up with.The leather seats in the upmarket CXL were definitely not as comfortable....and the seams were poorly designed and pressed into your back and buns uncomfortably....but the CXL's trim was noticeably better done than the base CXL, and it had a console and console shifter.....and fake-wood trim ( awful, shiny stuff ) on the console as well. The top-level CXS, not surprisingly, had the glitziest and best-looking interior with the most features....but it was not REAL quality. Like the Chrysler 300C, it was cheap materials with just a little glitz on top of them......and I would choose the 300C's interior over any of the 3 Lucerne models.
All three models had plenty of space in the trunk, and the trunk was well-finished....better in some ways than in the cabin where people ride.

On the road, ( CXS version ) the Northstar-derived engine had plenty of power, though, as a luxury car, it was not designed as a drag-racer but for smooth, quiet power flow. The body structure was just like in past Buicks.....creaky and with minor rattles over bumps, even in a brand-new car. The power steering appears to have been reworked for slightly better road feel than past versions ( which still isn't saying much ) and the Cream-of-Wheat suspension has a little less Cream to it this year. Otherwise not a huge difference from past big Buicks...still the same library-quiet noise level. Brakes, surprisingly ( and a BIG difference from GM trucks ) are firm and effective, although the brake pedal is much too high off the floor and is way above the gas-pedal level, requiring an awkward lift-up that can trap a big, size-15 shoe like mine.
The 4 speeds in the automatic transmission, of course, are less efficient than more modern 5, 6, and even Mercedes 7-speed units, but with the quiet drivetrain, abundant torque, and cruising nature of this car you don't notice it most of the time.
Handling, while not sports-car-like by any means, is a slight step up from the previous model, although it is obvious that this car is not designed for the mountain twisties. The 50-series 18" tires on the CXS model probably give it a little edge in the handling department over the 16" 60-series tires on the base CX.....but at the expense of a little ride comfort. And, of course, ride comfort would generally not be a problem in any of the 3 versions.
Another GM strong point is good climate control. Here, like in the past, the new Buick certainly doesn't disappoint. The A/C will treat you like a penguin in a hurry. The base CX models with manual climate control have superb, easy-to use round *****.....the CXL and CXS automatic units somewhat less so.
The steering wheel is WAY too large for my tastes.....perhaps in a concession to the older people with arthiritic arms and shoulders who often buy this type of car. A larger wheel usually means not only less effort in turning but a shorter reach as well. Perhaps that is the reason for the loud click-click turn signals, too...aging ears, although I noticed the same thing in the not-so-Grandpa Dodge Magnum Hemi.

So....there you have it. This is car primarily designed for comfort but with disappointing ( and in some cases VERY dissapointing ) interior trim and hardware quality. It has an engine ( in CXS and some CXL trims ) that will easily get the car out of its own way and brakes that will stop it with a firm feel. It is not the best car for the twisties but will relax you at the end of a hard day.

Would I buy one? No. I say that NOT because of an anti-GM or an anti-Grandpa / Grandma bias, and I, for one, LIKE a smooth ride like this one. But Buick management has publically targeted Lexus as its goal for fit-and-finish and this car, to be frank, is a LONG way from a Lexus. IMO it had numerous disappointments and I just feel that there are better foreign and domestic-nameplate vehicles out there in the same price range competing for your automotive dollar. I honestly don't think that this car is a particularly good value for the money. The Lexus ES330 with its quality, smooth ride and superb interior and comfort, the Lincoln Zephyr with its classy trim, and even the Chrysler 300C with its Mercedes-derived chassis and transmission make a better overall car for the money, even though the ES330 and Zephyr do not have the Northstar V8 option that the Buick has.

Last edited by mmarshall; 11-19-05 at 02:26 PM.
Old 11-19-05, 02:07 PM
AJ
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Exellent review
Old 11-19-05, 02:51 PM
Lil4X
Out of Warranty

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Outstanding review - informative as always. Thanks!
Old 11-19-05, 07:04 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,126 Likes on 1,378 Posts

Thanks very much mmarshall.

Really bad sign for GM that this car isn't more impressive for nearly 40K. And 4 speed auto? Gimme a break.

mmarshall - of GM and Ford, I think Ford seems to be doing a better job of turning it around. Both companies are awash in debt and losses, but Ford's pales in comparison to GM's. And a lot of their new models are getting a 6 speed auto and the new 3.5L engine they have coming looks really promising.

mmarshall, can't recall, and I know I should do a search, did you review the Ford 500? Fully loaded including nav for 10K less than this Lucerne, it seems like a strong player.
Old 11-19-05, 07:43 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
mmarshall, can't recall, and I know I should do a search, did you review the Ford 500? .
I haven't done a formal review yet of the Five Hundred...but I've looked at them closely and like the car. Stylewise it is not a head-turner but is very sensibly designed and has good fit-and-finish. A lot of people have b ****ed about the standard 203 HP V6 but the CVT tranny should be able to extract every last horse out of it....and the AWD is a definite plus for traction, if not performance.
Frankly, I'd like to see Lincoln do a version of it.....to date, they have not. Even without a formal review yet I think it would be a great platform for an all-new Lincoln Continental. I plan to talk to the Lincoln-Mercury people about this at the upcoming D.C Auto Show. It would sure beat the last Continental platform ( now discontinued ) ....a stretched FWD Taurus.

Just for you, bit.....I'll schedule the Five Hundred or the identical Mercury Montego for next weekend....after I wash my car and get cleaned up.

Now back to the Lucerne.

Last edited by mmarshall; 11-19-05 at 07:51 PM.
Old 11-19-05, 07:48 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,126 Likes on 1,378 Posts

Originally Posted by mmarshall
Just for you, bit.....I'll schedule the Five Hundred or the identical Mercury Montego for next weekend....after I wash my car and get cleaned up.
Cool, thanks.

Now back to the Lucerne.
Sadly it may become known as the loserne
Old 11-19-05, 10:14 PM
GS3Tek

Received 162 Likes on 123 Posts

Originally Posted by mmarshall
OK, guys......save the laughing and jeering.
Yes, I KNOW.....this car, ( or at least the car it replaces )...... as much as I don't believe in stereotypes, DOES have a reputation as a rolling Geritol bottle....a Grandpa / Grandma-mobile.

MINUSES:

STILL a cheap-looking and cheap-feeling interior...especially for a Buick Flagship. In fact, I think the dash plastic and fake wood trim inside is a step DOWN from the last car, not UP.

Too-loud turn signals
Thorough review as always mmarshall

Till this day, I still don't know why their interiors remain cheap feeling and cheap looking.
At least do what dodge/ford....are doing: cheap feeling but at least good looking.

This is why it's so hard to give buick a chance anymore

mmarshall let me be sarcastic for a bit here:
We all know why the turn signals need to be LOUD right???
Seriously, there should be a blinker counter/timer, where after 5 minutes of blinking , it turns itself off
Old 11-20-05, 04:01 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by GS3Tek
Seriously, there should be a blinker counter/timer, where after 5 minutes of blinking , it turns itself off
5 minutes wouldn't be long enough for some of the stoplights and left-turn lanes here.

Our traffic, nation-wide, is second only to Los Angeles.

And then, if they DID shut off, some people would forget to turn them back ON.
Old 11-20-05, 04:04 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

5 minutes would not be long enough for some of the stop-light backups and left-turn lanes here. Our traffic, nationwide, is second only to Los Angeles.

And....if they DID shut off.....a lot of people wouldn't remember to turn them back ON.
Old 11-22-05, 05:01 PM
jaydunn
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thorough review as always mmarshall

Till this day, I still don't know why their interiors remain cheap feeling and cheap looking.
At least do what dodge/ford....are doing: cheap feeling but at least good looking.

This is why it's so hard to give buick a chance anymore

I agree, great review as usual. However, considering the folks who will buy this thing, the turn signals probably aren't even half loud enough.
Old 11-24-05, 06:09 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by MeanLex
Are you one of those guys that show up on new car dealer lots wasting a salesman's time?
They are all commissioned based and would rather deal with a real buyer not you.

>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>

Most of them just stand around doing nothing so thanks for the review.
Most ( not necesarily all ) of the vehicles I review I have received a request to do so...often from CL members. Mike (1SICKLEX) also does excellent reviews...in some ways better than mine. I also know a lot of salespeople in this area, and refer potential customers to them IF I think their vehicles are the right ones for any given auto buyer. Some, to be frank, have offered me referral money for this.....I said no, and turned it down. I don't operate that way. I make good money in my job and from investments, and I don't need any of that kind of income. It also IMO is too much like a bribe.....offering money to get people to buy a certain make of car. No thanks. My reviews....and advice....are not for sale.

I DO get free auto-press tickets from dealerships for the major local D.C Auto Show every year, though. I see nothing wrong with that, especially since I usually spend 3-4 days at the show, and it's nice to have them...and have a few extra for guests or friends who want to attend the show with me. In fact, dealerships will often give out free or discount show passes out even to people they don't know...obviously, they want you to look at their products and compare them with the competition.

I also somerimes look at and drive vehicles at non-dealership events like the major local test-drive competition.

However, you do have a point. Most ( but not all ) salespeople are paid on a commission, so if they do not sell they do not get paid. They obviously are not hurting, though.....most of the ones I see wear some pretty expensive suits, except at places like Saturn dealerships where they wear company T-shirts and get a flat salary instead.