Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.
View Poll Results: If you have to pick one or the other, which one, BMW or Mercedes Benz
BMW
63.64%
Mercedes Benz
36.36%
Voters: 55. You may not vote on this poll

Mercedes or BMW?

Search this Thread

Old 11-09-05, 10:39 AM
Gojirra99
Super Moderator

Received 187 Likes on 128 Posts

Originally Posted by magneto112
And the CL-class and SL-class are instant classics. They will be timeless designs, just like the many previous generations. I cant really say that about previous BMW's but I am sure many can disagree.
Yes they are great designs, but I think the BMW 8 series looks better than any Benz coupes in the past & present.
Old 11-09-05, 10:46 AM
soarer5780
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i have to admit CL's and SL's are indeed pretty a$$ cars
Old 11-09-05, 11:20 AM
Dynasty SC
Lead Lap

MB makes better looking cars IMO... they make the best looking cars out of the luxury division. however, BMW would be the car for me... once again, just a drivers car.
Old 11-09-05, 11:32 AM
-J-P-L-
Lexus Fanatic

The original poster asked for best overall car line between MB & BMW.
As this thread shows, it is a very difficult decision because each excell in many different areas which have already been pointed out.

I'd probably vote MB as best OVERALL line - It's also more extensive.

Yes, BMW offers the best driving dynamics but that may be the only advantage.

-MB offers what a majority will say are better looking cars.
-MB has better interiors and are more luxurious.
-MB offers the most powerful line of cars (AMG) out there (aside from exotic).
-MB quality issues aren't that much worse than BMW's right now.

If all you want is the best driving machine, buy a BMW. Otherwise go with a Benz.

Oh wait, make it a LEXUS.
Old 11-09-05, 07:13 PM
thermal
Driver School Candidate

Thanks everyone for your replies.

Seems like BMW is winning, mostly for better handling and feel. I agree, though if I could only drive one car, it would be the Mercedes 500SL - IMO, one of the most beautiful cars ever made.
Old 11-09-05, 07:42 PM
nthach
Lexus Champion

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

BMW for the driving experience, but for luxury nothing beats the old Mercedes S-Class cars on the W140 and W126 chassis.
Old 11-09-05, 08:01 PM
braheem
Lead Lap

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by lkirchner
When did they start putting a hemi engine in the AMG's? I think you are smoking something.
Hemi, AMG whatever neither are true Mercedes. You've owned a few Mercedes and so have I, please dont tell me the new Mercedes are attracting people for the same reason that made them famous.

Mercedes realized the Japanese were making cars for much less with a higher reliability rate, so to keep up Mercedes decided to do the same by buying out a manufacturer who could teach them just that.

Mercedes learned from Chrysler what sells... the rest you can figure out by seeing the chrysler and mercedes lineup.
Old 11-09-05, 08:03 PM
braheem
Lead Lap

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by nthach
BMW for the driving experience, but for luxury nothing beats the old Mercedes S-Class cars on the W140 and W126 chassis.
Always LOVED both those cars, some amazing detail and thought went into them.
Old 11-09-05, 08:19 PM
picus
Lexus Test Driver

I used to be a big fan of MB, but their recent offerings have left me feeling a little cold. I do agree they have some classic styling, though. Right now I'd have to vote BMW. I'm one of those "like the 3 series" guys (ya, sue me!) - I just think at the moment they make a more fun car, and to me fun is a big factor.
Old 11-10-05, 08:55 AM
lkirchner
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by braheem
Hemi, AMG whatever neither are true Mercedes. You've owned a few Mercedes and so have I, please dont tell me the new Mercedes are attracting people for the same reason that made them famous.

Mercedes realized the Japanese were making cars for much less with a higher reliability rate, so to keep up Mercedes decided to do the same by buying out a manufacturer who could teach them just that.

Mercedes learned from Chrysler what sells... the rest you can figure out by seeing the chrysler and mercedes lineup.
Boy are you ever a genius. AMG is as much Mercedes as the M is BMW. There have been AMG/Mercedes since 1988. Hemi has never been Mercedes, you rocket scientist. I have no idea what is attracting other people to Mercedes nor do I care.

Also what is the common thread between the Chrysler lineup and Mercedes, Einstein?
Old 11-10-05, 09:35 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 83 Likes on 82 Posts

Given the choice between M-B or BMW, in the pre-Chris Bangle days, an absolute no-brainer......I would have taken a BMW, hands-down, even though M-B excelled in safety features and a vault-like body structure.

To be honest, today I personally wouldn't buy either brand. Mercedes, while still excelling in safety features, has some of the poorest-quality electronics and hardware in the buisness, and, while I have not yet seen the BMW 1-series, just about all of the other Chris Bangle BMW designs, especially the 5, 6, and 7-series, have, IMO, been ruined with I-Drive, shoddy body and interior materials and workmanship, ugly styling, and poor reliability.
Old 11-10-05, 10:55 AM
sha4000
Lexus Test Driver

Received 334 Likes on 288 Posts

Originally Posted by lkirchner
Boy are you ever a genius. AMG is as much Mercedes as the M is BMW. There have been AMG/Mercedes since 1988. Hemi has never been Mercedes, you rocket scientist. I have no idea what is attracting other people to Mercedes nor do I care.

Also what is the common thread between the Chrysler lineup and Mercedes, Einstein?
what is with all the sarcasm?mercedes owns chrysler and everything that comes with it, plus i see lots of MB styling in the new chryslers
Old 11-10-05, 12:06 PM
lkirchner
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by sha4000
what is with all the sarcasm?mercedes owns chrysler and everything that comes with it, plus i see lots of MB styling in the new chryslers
Perhaps Numb Nuts original post of "That's the most complicated part bro, any redneck can slap a 500hp hemi motor in a car and call it an AMG" set me off. I just love the way people criticize a car that they probably never rode in let alone owned.

Last edited by lkirchner; 11-10-05 at 12:07 PM. Reason: Correction
Old 11-10-05, 01:03 PM
-J-P-L-
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by sha4000
People always say MB "bought out" Chrysler.

Actually, it was a merger of two big companies. MB couldn't "buy" a company as big as Chrysler if they wanted to. In fact, MB is having to cut costs everywhere just to stay ahead.

What Chrysler looks "Mercedes like" to you? Just wondering.
Old 11-10-05, 01:05 PM
picus
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by genearch
You are preaching to the choir my friend... many bash iDrive, yet have no real world experience with it...
Hey you know I'm glad I'm not alone on that one. When we got our BMW I was really put off by iDrive, but once you get the hang of it (and the learning curve isn't that high) it's actually a pretty excellent feature. I do often find myself wondering why folks rag on it so much.

Anyway sorry for the OT.

Quick Reply: Mercedes or BMW?