Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Len Hunt resigns from VW

Search this Thread

Old 10-07-05, 09:15 AM
GFerg
Speaks French in Russian

Received 58 Likes on 45 Posts
Default Len Hunt resigns from VW

Len Hunt resigns from VW
Executive won't take Bentley marketing job

Diana T. Kurylko
Automotive News / October 06, 2005

DETROIT -- Len Hunt, who was due to take a marketing post at Bentley after an abrupt change of executives at Volkswagen of America Inc., has resigned from Volkswagen AG.

Hunt, 50, was due to take the position of board member for sales and marketing at Bentley Motors Group, VW Group's British luxury-car maker in Crewe, England.

VW said Thursday that Hunt has quit "and will pursue outside business opportunities," in an e-mail to employees and suppliers.

https://www.autonews.com/buyArchives.cms?newsId=13497
Old 10-07-05, 09:17 AM
Leets
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

interesting... I wonder what really happened.
Old 10-08-05, 04:16 PM
LexFather

I think he figured out it will be awhile before things turn around. Bloated Jettas and Passats are not the answer to VWs problems.

Old 10-08-05, 04:29 PM
Variance
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hunt is on board with Kia now.
Old 10-08-05, 04:48 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 83 Likes on 82 Posts

Originally Posted by 1SICKLEX
I think he figured out it will be awhile before things turn around. Bloated Jettas and Passats are not the answer to VWs problems.
Yes, but in the American market, Jettas and Passats are what sell. The Beetle does also, but to a less widespread and somewhat niche market.

VW's problems, except for the lousy electrical systems, are not so much in their vehicles as in the arrogance of its management and the poor dealer service....the poor quality of the dealers being a result of VW's basic ignorance and neglect of the American market. An additional factor is the unpopularity of the Golf here as compared to its huge popularity in Europe. Many Americans, for whatever reason, shun hatchbacks ( foolishly, IMO ) . Look at the dismal sales of the Lexus IS300 SportCross....another good example. The Mini Cooper....a hatchback, did sell very well here, but to a limited niche market.

Anyhow, back to Len Hunt. I won't venture to speak for the man, but my strong and educated guess is that he simply had enough of the arrogance and the way the German auto industry is run. If, as Variance as suggested, he has found a new home with Kia ( now a Hyundai division )
he has signed on with a MUCH better company, and I wish him luck.

Last edited by mmarshall; 10-08-05 at 04:54 PM.
Old 10-08-05, 04:54 PM
Mr Johnson
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Leets
interesting... I wonder what really happened.
My guess is that Bernhard and Hunt didn't gel.

As for their N.A. problems; My initial reaction has always been the negative reaction to the sticker price. They styling is somewhat bland and it is especially difficult to overcome with prices as they currently are. IMO Audi and VW are somewhat crazy in their pricing right now.
Old 10-08-05, 05:21 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 83 Likes on 82 Posts

QUOTE=Mr Johnson] IMO Audi and VW are somewhat crazy in their pricing right now.[/QUOTE]

Well, Dave (GS4)......if you lost your old Avitar.......there it is.

Even though it is a VW division, there are three basic reasons Audi can get away with price increases now. One, the general quality and fit-and-finish of its paint jobs and interiors; Two, the fact that more and more articles in auto mags are rating Audi vehicles as credible alternatives to BMW's...especially the Chris Bangle BMW's, and Three, ( which ties in with reason #2 ) the R and S-series Audis are starting to beat the BMW M-cars at their own game.

Unfortunately, Audi shares with VW....and with most German-designed cars....the poor electrical systems.

Last edited by mmarshall; 10-08-05 at 05:26 PM.
Old 10-09-05, 12:21 AM
TheRupp
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Gah VW/Audi needs to step up and do something. Their lack of quality is KILLING them on such great value, well-styled vehicles.

If it wasn't for the lack of reliable electrical systems, I'd have an Audi A6 or S4 in the driveway.

Wait for a followup from Hunt titled "Why I REALLY resigned".