Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

So I went to Lexus' event...

Search this Thread

Old 09-25-05, 07:45 PM
IsraelRX
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default So I went to Lexus' event...

Drove a bunch of Lexus cars and some Bimmers.

RX400h - I was impressed. They did a 20-50mph demonstration against an X5 3.0L and an SRX V8, and while I wasn't surprised it walked away from the BMW, it was surprising that it edged the Caddy as well. Than I drove it. It is powerful. I really liked it. like metioned in some British Mags, it seems they improved the handling. On a very tight course the RX exhibted very little body roll (maybe because of the added weight the stiffened the springs and shocks), and the steering felt good as well. Better than the RXs I've driven. The car is silent, and picks up speed with ease. There is some noise when you step on the brakes associated with the charging, and because of that it feels like the accelerator is stuck, but I guess you get used to it. Overall I really liked it.

BMW 330i Auto- I wanted to test the IS350, but the line was really long, so I decided to first have a go in the 330i. I was really looking forward to this, since I've never driven a 3-series before (the only BMW I've driven was a 750i). The exterior is growing on me, but it is still no looker, esp. the back. The interior felt good, with a nice thick steering wheel, though I don't like the housing for the I-drive screen. The handling was tidy, and the steering felt good. It was my first go at that track so I didn't push it to its limits. Even though it behaved naturally. I was very dissapointed with the performance. Its not bad, but surely not 250hp+ feeling, not at all.

IS350 - Big expectations. The car looks really good. The interior is fine. Not amazing, but tidy and well made. The seats are very comfortable. The engine is just out of this world. The car is very powerful anywhere on the rev range, its just very fast and torquey. The handling are a mix. I think it a little bit too soft, and on a very hard hairpin it also exhibited understeer and the electronics kicked in too early. The steering while accurate is a bit too light. On the other hand it does feel very stable in weight transitions and very safe. I bet that outside an autocross tight course it would fare much better. (Lexus give us an "off" button for the VIDM and sport package).

IS250AWD - Very surprising. It was maybe the surprise of the event (along side the RX400). It felt fast, not IS350 fast, but plenty of power all the same. It handles better than the 350, and my guess is that in sucha tight course, the RWD loses grip before (not in a problematic way) so the over eager electronics kick in, though they are not needed, in the AWD they don't sense wheelspin thus the elec. don't kick in, no shut of power, you keep the foot down and bam the car just goes.

GS430 - I love the looks, and the interior is the best of all the cars I tested. The car accelerate fast but its muted and feels slower than say the IS350. Again in the slow turns the elec kick in for no apperant reason, very dissapointing, but once on the slalom part, the car showed it has tons of potential with very good body control and nice steering feel. (Lexus the "off" button please)

BMW530i - I don't like the looks. They don't grow on me its just ugly esp. next to the GS and E-Class. The interior too is a big dissapointment. The 3 is so much better. Go in a 5-series and look at the plastic on the doors (the one surronding the window buttons...cheap! The former BMWs looked richer, and so does the 330i. The same engine as the 330 so it didn't surprise me that while it had moved, it wasn't a star. Thee steering felt good, though the car leaned more than the GS, and felt a bit sloppy (I guess no sport susp.). This was by far the biggest dissapointment.

Overall I was pleased with the handling of the 330i, IS250awd and for what it is the RX400h. The GS and IS350 show potential and the 530i I just didn't like.
The best performer (mostly feel) by far was the IS350, followed by the RX400h, GS430, 330i & IS250 and last again the 530i.
Just my impressions. =)
Old 09-25-05, 11:46 PM
encore888
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Thanks for the report!!! I'm envious, we don't get our test drives until 2 months later. That was interesting that they did a 'competition' demonstration for the RX!