Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

1SICKPUBLICTRANSPORTATION. (the public transportation thread)

Search this Thread

Old 09-18-05, 07:32 PM
LexFather

Thumbs up 1SICKPUBLICTRANSPORTATION. (the public transportation thread)

Well, I'll get into more detail but I am a little excited that last week I took public transportation fully or partially to work. Its bigger than gas, I have a new job and its much further away from home. So I did some research and lo and behold, there is a bus stop right in front my building. I do have to transfer to a train but so far, it really hasn't been bad, since I get to read and catch up on my car mags while I ride the bus/Train.

Atlantas public transportation system is called MARTA (itsmarta.com). More to come soon, with a review in another thread.

Has anyone else made the move to try or use public transportation in their area?

Old 09-18-05, 07:35 PM
Order66
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I don't use it that often, but down here in the San Diego area we have the Coaster. It's a local commuter train along the coast.

It is very fast, clean, and quiet. More Lexus-like than the majority of public transporation out there.

Lot of people use it as the freeways are insanely congested during rush hour.
Old 09-18-05, 07:53 PM
Variance
Driver

Before I got my car, I had to use a combination of the city bus and Metro-North to get to college.

Never again as long as I can help it.

Since I had to adhere to the bus and train schedules, I always had to get up and leave the house several hours before my class when it takes about a half-hour in good traffic to drive yourself. The bus wasn't too bad except it didn't go directly to the train station (which would take about 10-15 minutes). In fact, it goes the opposite direction then somewhere along the line makes a U-turn towards downtown (and the station) which coupled with all the stops it makes, takes near an hour. The bus station is not a very pleasant place to be, either.

But the train...OMG, the train....

First off, it's about $6-7 for a round trip ticket (I had classes 3 or 4 days a week). A bargin for a college student who didn't have a job at the time. Next, provided the train comes on time (or at all) you get to experience the pleasant train atmosphere of burning brakes and essence of human stink. If you're lucky, you won't freeze in the winter or roast in the late spring/summer. And for a touch of excitement, occasionally the train will lose power and you'll be stuck in one place for a good twenty minutes. Did I forget to mention the train isn't filled with the most pleasant passengers.

I will say this though: Sometimes the conductors will forget to check for your ticket, so you essentially get a free ride the next day but still.
Old 09-18-05, 07:55 PM
GFerg
Speaks French in Russian

Received 58 Likes on 45 Posts

I use it all the time. When I worked in Manhattan over the summer I took NJ Transit train to Newark, NJ. Then switch to the PATH and get off the World Trade Center stop. Walked a block to the 4, 5 train and headed uptown to Grand Central Station. Super quick, and super cheap. Honestly, can you get any better than NYC public transportation?? I love their system. So easy and pretty damn quick too.

I also use it here in Philly during school. Its called SEPTA. No where near as good as the MTA in NYC. I actually HATE the public transportation system in Philly. I dunno, I was somewhat broguht up using NYC public transportation which is why I really dont like the SEPTA system.But, thankfully my school is right on Broad St and one of the main subway lines stops on campus. I take that to Center City and Olde City on the weekends. Going by car though still seems to be faster and more convieient in Philly as the SEPTA doesnt take me anywhere I need to go. Damn horrible system.

Last edited by magneto112; 09-18-05 at 09:17 PM.
Old 09-18-05, 08:39 PM
Gojirra99
Super Moderator

Received 189 Likes on 130 Posts

I haven't used public transport since I was an undergraduate in college. Even then I mostly use free campus buses provided by the university.
Old 09-18-05, 09:05 PM
flipside909
Lexus Connoisseur

Received 531 Likes on 280 Posts

I miss living in the Bay Area. SoCal has nothing as efficient and as useful as my friend:

Old 09-18-05, 09:18 PM
O. L. T.
Keeper of the light

Received 335 Likes on 221 Posts

Up here it's nothing but crack addicts and street walkers / homeless riding the inner city busses for the most part, so no i do not even attempt it. Granted the schedule of the day changes that somewhat. During peak hours you get a rush of working society crowding the busses, however the majority wins, so my statement stands.
Old 09-18-05, 10:58 PM
STIG
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by flipside909
I miss living in the Bay Area. SoCal has nothing as efficient and as useful as my friend:

amen to that brother! i love bart system and i think it's rated #1 rapid transportation system in the US.

and i get free AC transit pass.
Old 09-18-05, 11:18 PM
nthach
Lexus Champion

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by DC52E55
amen to that brother! i love bart system and i think it's rated #1 rapid transportation system in the US.

and i get free AC transit pass.
and AC Transit has those new Van Hool A300/AG300 buses, all made in Belgium. The BMW of buses.
Old 09-18-05, 11:39 PM
LT. LEX
Lead Lap

I find that I use the Metro (metro DC public trans) mostly when I go out to clubs/bars in DC. I hate to drive in DC because the roads are harsh with the 19's and parking can be hard to find and $$$$. The only downside to the Metro is that it only runs til midnight during the week and 3am on weekends. It's fairly cheap and clean and pretty reliable.

I was traveling back from Savannah this past weekend when I took the Metro from Reagan national to home and about 5 stops from my home the train had to be evacuated because some kid got hit by a train at the next stop.
Old 09-19-05, 03:30 AM
babyGS3
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by flipside909

wow... i remember the bart and MUNI. very good systems.
I would have to rate hawaii's "TheBus" also up there. but nothing beats the bart and muni.

Last edited by babyGS3; 09-19-05 at 03:35 AM.
Old 09-19-05, 06:12 AM
Trexus

Received 38 Likes on 27 Posts

I commute to downtown Los Angeles five days a week. I take the Metrolink train. It's great I can read a book, magazine or newspaper. I can get some extra sleep or talk to a friend. I ride the train for one hour. I save gas, parking, wear and tear on my car. I like the feeling of not be frustrated when I get into work or when I get home. There are little tables on the train where you could do some work. It's the greatest thing since sliced bread.
Old 09-19-05, 06:15 AM
Chigga
Lead Lap

I tried TTC here, and the system is really not great.

the best I've ever been on is
aka MRT, hooks up to buses directly, you can get anywhere in the city within 30mins even with transfer on the bus.
Old 09-19-05, 08:40 AM
STIG
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by nthach
and AC Transit has those new Van Hool A300/AG300 buses, all made in Belgium. The BMW of buses.
i actually like the older buses from AC Transit. The seatslay out of new Van Hool buses are so uncomfortable and very awakward.
Old 09-19-05, 11:34 AM
cal_alum98
Lead Lap

Another plus for the SF Bay Area is CalTrain. Since I live on the Peninsula, it's really convenient for me to just park at a CalTrain station 5 minutes away and then hop onto a limited or express train into SF. 23 minutes station to station, which is less time than if I drove. My company not only has a shuttle between the train station and the office, they also provide me with $100 in Commuter Checks each month. With the monthly CalTrain pass and parking permit, the total cost out of my pocket is now $7!

Contrast that with $120/month for garage parking. Since I'd have to fill up my tank at least once a week, I figure that's another $45 x 4, bringing the total to $320 that I'm saving.

Quick Reply: 1SICKPUBLICTRANSPORTATION. (the public transportation thread)