Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Totalled the Porsche.

Search this Thread

Old 09-15-05, 07:12 PM
O. L. T.
Keeper of the light

Received 335 Likes on 221 Posts
Default Totalled the Porsche.

Well............ "I" didn't total it. My father did.

My dad has missed a lot of opprotunities in life and never quite "made it". I have always wanted to do something for him so I gave him my Porsche and told him to pimp it into retirement, it was something he could take pride in and enjoy.

The old man was just giddy and joined the Porsche Club of America. I bought him a leather Porsche jacket for the upcoming winter and went with him to meet some PCA guy's in GA a few times. (he has owned the P-car for 3 weeks).

Well, someone was coming over a hill a few days ago and was over the center line in his lane making a blind turn across the street at the top of the hill. SHMMMAACKKKKKK! .................... in a split second he went from prideful poppa to a babbling baby crying on the hood of the car. Insurance settled today and reported the car as totaled.

I am so sad for pop............. i have had so many opprotunities he hasn't and this was probably the one thing someone has done for him that would highlight his later years. He loved that thing. It's the first time I have seen him grin for weeks on end.

Well, I did learn two things........

(1)- if just for 3 weeks, seeing him that happy was worth the 6 grand it cost.

(2)- German cars can take one HELL of a hit and you can jump out and brush yourself off like you bumped a shopping cart. (not even a scratch)

----------> One small twist to the story........... The insurance agency of the guy that hit him offered to give me the car for $850 (as well as pay it off since it was under loan) so I told them I'd take it and have arranged to let a body shop take a whack at fixing it so i may again give it back to pop. I figure X-mas is only a few months away.

Last edited by O. L. T.; 09-15-05 at 07:25 PM.
Old 09-15-05, 07:21 PM
O. L. T.
Keeper of the light

Attached Thumbnails Totalled the Porsche.-pcar-001-small-.jpg  
Old 09-15-05, 07:22 PM
O. L. T.
Keeper of the light

Attached Thumbnails Totalled the Porsche.-pcar-002-small-.jpg  
O. L. T.
Keeper of the light

Attached Thumbnails Totalled the Porsche.-pcar-003-small-.jpg  
O. L. T.
Keeper of the light

44444444444444444444 last one.
Attached Thumbnails Totalled the Porsche.-pcar-005-small-.jpg  
Old 09-15-05, 08:26 PM
tetra7
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

OH man...im so sorry to hear that, but you did the right thing by giving your pops a chance of a lifetime. For that

A car (even a Porsche) comes and go but to see someone you really care about happy is completely priceless!

Rob
Old 09-15-05, 08:35 PM
adidosc
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

man i'm sorry to hear that b. you took pride in that car, i hope you can get things back to normal soon!
Old 09-15-05, 08:35 PM
LexFather

speechless

but glad ever4ything is okay B

Old 09-15-05, 10:07 PM
BMwhat?
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

glad your dad is okay (physically) im sure he is in pain emotionally....

my brother had a 944 and rear ended a pick-up, the whole front end slid right under, all the way to the windshield... and his insurance didn't total the car. his was more damaged than from what i can see in your photos. so i dont think it is going to be too much to get her running good as new again. and like you said, german cars are tough. i think they used the metal from their old WW2 tanks on the chassis....
Old 09-15-05, 10:11 PM
Gojirra99
Super Moderator

Received 189 Likes on 130 Posts

Sorry to hear that It's good your dad is not injured that's the most important. Best of luck in trying to fix it up.
Old 09-15-05, 11:50 PM
O. L. T.
Keeper of the light

Originally Posted by BMwhat?
glad your dad is okay (physically) im sure he is in pain emotionally....

my brother had a 944 and rear ended a pick-up, the whole front end slid right under, all the way to the windshield... and his insurance didn't total the car. his was more damaged than from what i can see in your photos. so i dont think it is going to be too much to get her running good as new again. and like you said, german cars are tough. i think they used the metal from their old WW2 tanks on the chassis....
just to get the front end back straight..................
Attached Thumbnails Totalled the Porsche.-scan001001.jpg  
Old 09-16-05, 03:32 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 83 Likes on 82 Posts

i'm glad you dad is OK...that is the most important thing.

According to the estimate you posted, The repair total was $6220 and insurance was to cover it. It clearly states that at the bottom.....Insurance payment.....$6220. Yet you say that Insurance decided to total the car....not surprising on a car that old. $6220 is probably more than BlueBook. If insurance is totalling the car, why then does the estimate say that insurance will cover the repair bill? The only thing I can assume here is that the estimate was made contingent on what the insurance company WOULD pay if it DID cover the bill....and that that estimate was not an official paper from the insurance company.

If they DO total the car, I have one important suggestion, if it applies to you. Some insurance companies, when they total a car, actually take possession of it themselves....this to prevent the owner from collecting twice on it. (Flip, you can correct me if I'm wrong, but I've actually heard of this...I have a friend who had to battle with an insurance firm....don't remember which one it was...when his 1989 CRX was totalled. They wanted to take posession what was left of the car after he got the settlement check. He said no dice.....kept it and sold it to another friend.....someone who was well-versed mechanicaly and was able to make enough repairs to get it drivable again). So he actually collected twice in it....once when it was totalled and also when he sold it.

Anyhow, in your case, O.L.T., my suggestion is that if you want to keep the car and get it repaired, make sure the insurance company will give you the check and agree to let you keep the car. That way you can hand the settlement check over to the body shop ( which will cover part of the repair ) and then just you (or your dad) come up with the difference out of your pockets.
Old 09-16-05, 05:23 AM
Inabj2
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by mmarshall
i'm glad you dad is OK...that is the most important thing.

According to the estimate you posted, The repair total was $6220 and insurance was to cover it. It clearly states that at the bottom.....Insurance payment.....$6220. Yet you say that Insurance decided to total the car....not surprising on a car that old. $6220 is probably more than BlueBook. If insurance is totalling the car, why then does the estimate say that insurance will cover the repair bill? The only thing I can assume here is that the estimate was made contingent on what the insurance company WOULD pay if it DID cover the bill....and that that estimate was not an official paper from the insurance company.

If they DO total the car, I have one important suggestion, if it applies to you. Some insurance companies, when they total a car, actually take possession of it themselves....this to prevent the owner from collecting twice on it. (Flip, you can correct me if I'm wrong, but I've actually heard of this...I have a friend who had to battle with an insurance firm....don't remember which one it was...when his 1989 CRX was totalled. They wanted to take posession what was left of the car after he got the settlement check. He said no dice.....kept it and sold it to another friend.....someone who was well-versed mechanicaly and was able to make enough repairs to get it drivable again). So he actually collected twice in it....once when it was totalled and also when he sold it.

Anyhow, in your case, O.L.T., my suggestion is that if you want to keep the car and get it repaired, make sure the insurance company will give you the check and agree to let you keep the car. That way you can hand the settlement check over to the body shop ( which will cover part of the repair ) and then just you (or your dad) come up with the difference out of your pockets.

Collect money, buy back, (but if you can settle for not total for slightly less then the total amount then take it.) go here www.car-parts.com find a good body man. Return it to your old man. Keep the change . If done right you will have a hefty sum of change too.

Some body shops can be real real shady when it comes to getting parts they like to repalce things that arent even close to the.. accident. Have them show you the list of parts they need and scrutinize this heavily. You can get all the parts you need used instead of new from where I listed above. You need larger pics. But from what I can tell front bumper, bumper support and head lights? What else? Radiator maybe? What about suspension components? And pussibly fenders.. (Now this is very debatable since in my experience americans like to throw away parts that are easily fixable like fenders..)

Does the car run? From the looks of the pic I say you should be able to at least Half that bill... if you play your cards right.

Last edited by Inabj2; 09-16-05 at 05:32 AM.
Old 09-16-05, 08:27 AM
Lil4X
Out of Warranty

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Glad to know your Dad's OK. What a great gift! Even if it was only for a few weeks, your Dad was a very happy man. I'm sure he's very proud of you. Handing him the keys to that 944 must have been a proud moment for you too!

If it's practical, getting it fixed for him just might be the greatest Christmas present he's ever had. You are giving both of them the gift of a happy, productive retirement - both Dad and the Porsche.
Old 09-16-05, 08:47 AM
GFerg
Speaks French in Russian

Received 58 Likes on 45 Posts

Damn. Sorry to hear about that. But glad your Pops is okay. Hopefully you can get the car fixed and running again. Good luck with all that bro.

Quick Reply: Totalled the Porsche.