Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

my project car (long read & lots of pix)

Search this Thread

Old 08-17-05, 07:31 AM
Chigga
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default my project car (long read & lots of pix)

This is my project car, one car that has pratically sucked my money dried, and reason why the Lexus is still not lowered. Right now the car is in a state where I feel confident to present you guys what I've been working on, its really no comparison to some of projects happens here, but to me, it means alot to me. Sorry for the lack of organization, I just copy and paste from the Volvo forums where I have this as a project thread.

Note: This summer is coming to an end, and so has my '05 shopping spree for the car, I will focus on putting the parts I have bought on the car and get it to run right, hope next year is another story. There are few people I want to thank, first, my parents, being typical Taiwanese parents, they are extremely understanding and know how much my car means to me, even when I sold the car, they were the ones telling me I should get it back (in much harsher words). Second Phil aka Ajax568, for helping me out on almost everything this summer, from brakes, turbo swap, new struts, spacers, I can't thank him enough for what he has done to help me, its incredible when he drops by after work to help me out, knowing he has 1hr drive back home and gotta wake up next day @ 530am (just like me!), without him, I'd be damn lost on some of the stuff, he's a super fine example of a real mech, a real friend , and stupid engineers lol, I can read a book but can't install longer studs. Third, my homeboys, what can I say? they got my back when **** gets rough.

Engine:
stock..... hahaha
APC breather :???:
3" turbo back w/magna flow shiznit
Intake w/TaskMule's heatshield
TurboXS boost controller
TurboXS Type H-RFL BOV
16G/12B turbo with pre-90 ported manifold

Suspension:
Koni yellows (gone in on tuesday)
MVP coilovers w/Eibach springs
EST front sway bar end links
Kiri's rear adjsutable panhard rod
IPD rear sway bar

Exterior: Sylverstar gh3y ricer bulbs
Hova clear tails
stock SE bodykit
Dave Barton's Prancing moose stickers.
side markers.
1QWIKBOX Swedish plate.

Brakes/wheels:
KVR black-coated slotted discs all around
KVR carbon pads all around
EST braided lines all around
ATE blue stuff in the thingy
H&R 20mm spacers with extended studs
Hamman PG2 reps with Pirelli P-zero rosso 225/35/18 front, Ventus (sp?) something same size at back.

stereo:
stock casette, plan to keep that way

What's coming this fall: 940 e-codes with all the gizmos, MS'n'S installed, WBo2, either t5 or M90 tranny swap.

back in 2001, I had Apex springs on the car, it roughly lowered 1.5" all around, I loved it for 2 months then I hated it, it also had 3" exhaust, home made intake, boost controller and Dunlop tires.

I was happy for that since I was still in HS, then in 2003 I graduated and decided to chop springs cause I'm cheap, with help of Ryan Wynott (some of you remember him), he was extremely helpful and a really nice guy, too bad some didn't like him as much. He also helped me to install KYB shocks and struts, he has been MIA for over 2 yrs, I hope he gives me a shout when possible.

Old 08-17-05, 07:35 AM
Chigga
Lead Lap

before I head off to univ, I did some huge burn-outs and sent 'em to Sports Compact Car and it was voted in for top 100 burn-outs in Dec 2003 issue, which I didn't know until people on here told me so and I blitz out of my res in the cold to get one.

then through out 2003-2004 school year I worked really hard with some part time job and saved up hardcore, and I was on student loan so had some assistance from the govn't to ease up my tution burden. Then I purchased one of the last brand new set of coilover from John McMaster

then I got Kiri's adjustable panhard rod and rear IPD sway

as you can see, I like burn-outs

while in Detroit during the winter of 2004

this was my "drift" set-up, sadly during one weekend I was home I managed to have close encounter with curb/wall, I was on my way home thru the twisty and I spun the car and hit the curb hard, almost hit the wall and fall of the cliff, it was told by the officer there was a previous accident 1hr prior and possibly oil left on the ground, they later closed the road for the night.

Old 08-17-05, 07:36 AM
Chigga
Lead Lap

summer of 2004, I spent $2500 Cdn on fixing the car, it was fine with very minimal scracthes to the rear bumper, then I found out with the 8" springs I couldn't lower the car at all while the Hydras were back on, so I bought Eibach 6" springs with 450lb/in rate up front but the rear remain the same.

and I was able to lower the car with a rake.

last thing I could afford in 2004 summer was Hova taillights, these costs me an arm and a leg and took me a very long time to get 'em here, it was well worth it, I believe I"m the only one to have 'em in Canada, perhaps North America. Mods ended there in 2004. Oh and I bought taskmule's heat shield, looks lot better.

old

old on the right, new on the left

new set up
Old 08-17-05, 07:37 AM
Chigga
Lead Lap

the incredible tail lights (its like JP tails for GS in Volvo world, and I think I'm the only one to have them in North America):

that was it for 2004.

many pix to update the car's progress, it won't get too far, but hopefully it'll be nice and steady for next 1 yr and 1/2 to get to the level I think I'd be happy for a couple of years, so I can focus on my school and my future.
Old 08-17-05, 07:38 AM
Chigga
Lead Lap

So the 16G/12B turbo went in, we faced some small problems but Phil did most of the work, Ugh what! there are some small issues like a Garret CBV needs to be put in and spacers that will be done on saturday due to his busy schedule, so its all good.

old ported manifold + 16G turbo, too lazy to machine the 90+ manifold.

bye bye 13C

get the hell out of here already

WTF? A KIA MECH???? WTF IS THIS BS???? that's Phil btw, he's cool and he r0x0r cause I'm too fat to do any real work other than sit there.

there we go......

apparently my 13C is pretty mint, but seem the wastegate actuator is kinda bad, so the 90+ manifold with 13c will be for sale pretty soon.

more to come.
Old 08-17-05, 07:39 AM
Chigga
Lead Lap

hey...... check this out, $100cdn, brand spanking new, its a damn good deal I say.

Old 08-17-05, 07:40 AM
Chigga
Lead Lap

I washed the car finally on sunday and took it out for a boot, brakes works amazing when warm, the suspension is satisfactory (finally), and put on some stickers, still need to sort the breather part.

Old 08-17-05, 07:41 AM
Chigga
Lead Lap

With help of Phil (Ajax568) as of yesterday, August 16th, 2005, he helped me to install the spacers, I can't thank him enough for the help. Took pix with his Acura beater, I updated the first posts on info, so I'm not going to repeat myself, but thanks 100000000x Phil.

BOV

the ABS ring that force us to remove the hub.

looks bit small from this angle.

Phil's Teg, its really REALLY low, like, may be 1 and 1/4 " of clearance.

my sweet sweet baby

Old 08-17-05, 07:43 AM
Chigga
Lead Lap

sorry for the long post, but I would really appreciate if you guys would give me suggestions/tips, I abuse this car on the track as how it should be, after all I spent huge amount (to me) of money on custom suspension parts. And I'm going to ImportFest with this car (its like HIN, but except we don't have HIN here), so please give me some tips on going to shows, not expecting to win anything, but really like to impress and bringing new flava to the scene.

I plan on using this thread to update the progress on the car.
Old 08-17-05, 08:13 AM
Leets
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

That's just freakin' awesome! I love those turbo Volvos. They're some of the best cars that no one knows about. I used to know a guy that loved racing whoever he could in his just to see the look on people's faces when they realized they got smoked by a family sedan.

My suggestion is this: don't ever let her go. You've got a dying breed there, and I have to say she looks quite impressive. If you're planning on taking her to shows, though, spend a few weekends under the hood polishing everything up and getting it as clean and simple looking as possible. Judges love shiny objects.

And don't let the ignorant masses get you down... that's a great machine you've got going there. I'm a fan.
Old 08-21-05, 07:06 PM
Chigga
Lead Lap

took these with a SLR starter kit, not my camera thou.

Old 08-21-05, 07:23 PM
Incendiary
Lexus Test Driver

Not a huge Volvo fan, but it's clear you love your car. Nice work, man.
Old 08-22-05, 02:12 AM
BLK13X
Mortgage Slave

Received 20 Likes on 12 Posts

Very interesting car you've got there, I've seen a couple of them modified my way.

Go the brick!!!!
Old 08-25-05, 07:10 PM
Chigga
Lead Lap

I got another set of 18"s, theses are used Volvo Peaguas rims, they are off a S60R, it was so cheap that I must buy it or I'd kick myself. They'll be painted and used for serious abuse.

Old 08-25-05, 07:14 PM
Chigga
Lead Lap

btw, some pix from a local Volvo meet.

Quick Reply: my project car (long read & lots of pix)