Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

V8 Acura Legend Coupe?

Search this Thread

Old 08-07-05, 11:59 AM
AlwaysLate
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default V8 Acura Legend Coupe?

http://www.auto-g.jp/news/200506/26/newcar01/index.html

Translation:

"Developing & testing a 2 door coupe version of the Legend has been confirmed.

Initially, development was done using a V-6, without thought of another engine. The conversion to a coupe was very straightforward (took to the conversion readily without major mods).

They have now decided during the development of the coupe to install it with a V8 engine. Developing & testing the 2dr. coupe with a V8 is a high priority."

Anybody else hear about this? Maybe this is the supposed new sports coupe from Acura that is supposed to fill the huge gap between the new NSX and probably next CL. IMO, this RL coupe looks to much like the last CL. The last CL wasn't exactly a head turner. Honda needs to make the car more distinctive. I think the looks of this car is gonna be what either makes it or breaks it. Seems like it could be a worthy 6-series fighter though if Honda plays it's cards right.
Old 08-07-05, 12:08 PM
Gojirra99
Super Moderator

Received 189 Likes on 130 Posts

Looks OK, the front is more aggressive than the RL, though I agree it should be more distinctive.

to Honda if they really offer it with a V8.
Old 08-07-05, 02:09 PM
adidosc
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

this is a HOT car! if honda can really pull this off, they'll surely have a winner.
Old 08-07-05, 02:12 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,127 Likes on 1,379 Posts

That rear 3/4 view is AWESOME. The front view is a bit too in your face for me, but still decent.

Since I owned a Legend Coupe and loved it, it would be great to see a V8 one hit the streets!
Old 08-07-05, 02:15 PM
Dx3
Lexus Fanatic

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I have owned about 7 Acura Legends - and they looked a hell of a lot better than that. V8 is great - but the Legend coupe (91-95) body style was one of the best flowing cars ever. In fact, I would have a hard job finding a slicker looking stock 93 car than a Legend coupe.

The V8 is

Body is

Jonny
Old 08-07-05, 02:20 PM
r4z0r3ck
Lead Lap

wow this and the nsx are trully the only honda coupes i would consider buying.
Old 08-07-05, 02:47 PM
TheRupp
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

That would be a Sexy Beast.
Old 08-07-05, 04:07 PM
whoster
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i don't like the eyebags...but i like it.

and yes...honda has proposed a V8 to go into the ridgeline and the RL...

: D
Old 08-07-05, 04:13 PM
LexFather

Well, Honda has said a V-8 isn't possible until at least 2010 or 2011, so that pic is clearly a photoshop. They haven't even decided if they WILL build a V-8 yet. The pics look nice. And it would be a HONDA LEGEND, not an Acura Legend. I guess the CL would be back?

The September edition of Motor Trend magazine is reporting that according to rumors, Honda is developing an all aluminum block V8 engine. They are guessing that displacement is between 4.2 and 4.4 liters and of 90 degree configuration which means it's not related to the 3.5L or 3.8L V6 engines from Honda/Acura.

According to the article, the engine is tested in Ridgeline trucks but slated for use first in the next generation Acura RL which will be out in 2010 as a 2011 model. Then it will add it to the next Ridgeline truck in 2011 as 2012 model.

Finally, Honda is working on a new V6 turbodiesel engine for the USA market sometime after the 2007 mandates of low sulfur gas take place. The engine will be used in the Ridgeline and Pilot SUV

Old 08-07-05, 04:13 PM
LexFather

TOKYO -- Honda Motor Co. could build a V8 engine as its next mass-produced powertrain beyond the V6, its biggest engine so far, Chief Executive President Takeo Fukui said, adding that a decision would be made in about three years.

Japan's third-biggest auto maker has long said it would not build a V8 engine, often used to power pickup trucks and other bigger vehicles, choosing instead to match its muscle with advanced powertrain technology as it did with the Ridgeline pickup launched in the United States this year.

"By around 2010, customers driving the Ridgeline now will need a stepped-up product," Fukui told a small group of reporters on Thursday. He said a V8 engine was one possible powertrain, along with a V6 hybrid or diesel system.

Last month, Honda, renowned for its engine technology, surprised industry watchers with plans to skip the V8 and develop a V10 engine to power its next supercar to succeed the NSX model, which will be retired this year.

If development of the V10 engine is successful, Fukui said there would be "no reason not to have something in between", while stressing the decision was not final.

"If we make a V10, we might just as well make a V8. I won't deny the possibility," Fukui said at Honda's headquarters in Tokyo. "We'll see how the V10 turns out, and make a decision in about three years' time."

Pickups, sport utility vehicles and other light trucks make up a little over half of the U.S. auto market -- the world's biggest -- and so far has been dominated by the U.S. Big Three.

Japanese rivals Toyota Motor Corp. and Nissan Motor Co. have pushed aggressively into the profitable segment, but Honda has been relatively slow, having only rolled out its first pickup truck through the Ridgeline this spring.

Fukui said he expected the ratio of light trucks to Honda's total U.S. sales to inch closer to industry levels from around 40 percent now, while also beefing up its car segment through the new Civic due out in autumn and the Fit compact car to be launched next year.

gavriil is online now Reply With Quote

Old 08-07-05, 04:51 PM
EGainer
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

looks like

Old 08-07-05, 04:55 PM
C-Train
Lead Lap

the front looks like the lexus supercar concept, LF-(something i forgot)
Old 08-07-05, 05:06 PM
cal9126
Pole Position

i think they should bring back the second gen body style but put out more v6 six speeds and maybe a turbo charged six.....i think that would attract ALOT of sales for acura and honda...to my knowledge no one has reliablely turboed one of those cars.......i know i would def buy one if they did that...the legend coupe is still my favorite car and i will own one one these dayss......
Old 08-07-05, 05:49 PM
J_RoK
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by Dx3
I have owned about 7 Acura Legends - and they looked a hell of a lot better than that. V8 is great - but the Legend coupe (91-95) body style was one of the best flowing cars ever. In fact, I would have a hard job finding a slicker looking stock 93 car than a Legend coupe.

The V8 is

Body is

Jonny
I second that

J
Old 08-07-05, 06:02 PM
-J-P-L-
Lexus Fanatic

Check out the rear of the Mark X. Yet another Bangle influenced deck lid!
That one looks OK though. Why is everyone doing it though???

Quick Reply: V8 Acura Legend Coupe?