Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

2006 Acura changes

Old 07-31-05, 09:52 PM
jrock65
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2006 Acura changes

http://www.vtec.net/news/news-item?news_item_id=384913
Old 07-31-05, 10:36 PM
STIG
Lexus Test Driver

no SH-AWD for TL yet?
Old 08-01-05, 04:27 AM
Inabj2
Lexus Champion

Haha! thats what they get for overating their hp figures like that!
Old 08-01-05, 05:18 AM
CK6Speed
Super Moderator

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Inabj2
Haha! thats what they get for overating their hp figures like that!
They did not overrate the HP numbers. This is simply the new SAE method of calculating HP that all new cars will use. If they overrated their HP figures so did Lexus like with the drop in HP for the SC430 because of the new SAE method. You will see nearly every manufacturer that has a carry over model from last year with no HP increase have lower HP ratings because of this.
Old 08-01-05, 05:57 AM
Inabj2
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by CK6Speed
They did not overrate the HP numbers. This is simply the new SAE method of calculating HP that all new cars will use. If they overrated their HP figures so did Lexus like with the drop in HP for the SC430 because of the new SAE method. You will see nearly every manufacturer that has a carry over model from last year with no HP increase have lower HP ratings because of this.
Not so, some vehicles have seen an increase of hp because of this new method (corvette z06 for example). And off COURSE lexus overated their hp figures. They been doing it in some cars for years!!!! I dont care what kind a pos tranny you put in a car a 225 hp car should not dyno 165 rwhp on a good day. Same goes for a 250 crank hp car dynoing 185-195 rwhp.

Im not the only one that believes that anyone that has substantial decrease of hp because of this new method off measuring power should be considered suspect. Although acuras numbers werent that far off. And they didnt all lose power, in fact the TSX gained 5 hp from the year before, but the RL lost 10 hp (I knew that car no way in hell made 300 crank hp. 290 is still impressive though.) And Im also not surprised that the TL also lost hp rating. This isnt like the time Gross hp was converted t net power, if manufacturers were trust worthy they shouldnt be "losing" claimed hp figures.

I wonder what the following cars will be rated the SRT-4 Im going to guess 250+ easy, RX-8 will be interesting to note as well. I also suspect the new mustang GT might be underated by 10-15 hp as well. So 310-315?
Old 08-01-05, 06:15 AM
CK6Speed
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by Inabj2
Not so, some vehicles have seen an increase of hp because of this new method (corvette z06 for example). And off COURSE lexus overated their hp figures. They been doing it in some cars for years!!!! I dont care what kind a pos tranny you put in a car a 225 hp car should not dyno 165 rwhp on a good day. Same goes for a 250 crank hp car dynoing 185-195 rwhp.

Im not the only one that believes that anyone that has substantial decrease of hp because of this new method off measuring power should be considered suspect. Although acuras numbers werent that far off. And they didnt all lose power, in fact the TSX gained 5 hp from the year before, but the RL lost 10 hp (I knew that car no way in hell made 300 crank hp. 290 is still impressive though.) And Im also not surprised that the TL also lost hp rating. This isnt like the time Gross hp was converted t net power, if manufacturers were trust worthy they shouldnt be "losing" claimed hp figures.

I wonder what the following cars will be rated the SRT-4 Im going to guess 250+ easy, RX-8 will be interesting to note as well. I also suspect the new mustang GT might be underated by 10-15 hp as well. So 310-315?
The TSX gained HP because of the reworked engine. What they did exactly I don't know, but they did mention larger exhaust vavles.

I would be really surpsised if Honda over rated any of their engines. I have no real dyno numbers for the new 04+ TL's, but the TL-S used to put down anywhere between 200-210 wheel HP. That is right in line with a 20% drivetrain loss rule of thumb for automatics. The 3.0 NSX motor puts down anywhere between 230-240 wheel HP as well. That is very efficient or underrated even for a manual. My old Legend 6-Speed put down a little over 190HP from a 230 crank rated engine. Basically what I mean is the engines always seemed to slot right in the general window for its rated crank HP. I guess what could be argued is the old method of rating. Maybe it was just unrealistic to measure the HP without the standard accessories connected? I'd buy that argument.

I do agree with you about the 250 HP Lexus cars that dyno at 185 HP though. I own one of them (SC400) and I'm not impressed that it has 20 more crank HP and dynos less or no more than my 230 HP Legend.
Old 08-01-05, 07:25 AM
biker
Lead Lap

Seems to me that this new SAE method is very straight forward and car makers should have used this method all along. Now you might tell which cars' accessories eat up how much HP - in the case of the TL 17HP - which seems like a lot. Of course no one knows how many accessories were connected using the old rating method.

I foresee lots of arguments erupting because of this new HP rating system.
Old 08-01-05, 07:27 AM
biker
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by CK6Speed
The TSX gained HP because of the reworked engine. What they did exactly I don't know, but they did mention larger exhaust vavles.
# Larger intake valves
# Increased valve timing and lift
# Increased intake and exhaust flow
# Reduced engine pumping losses
Old 08-01-05, 08:05 AM
LexFather

uhhh, EVERYONE is going to have to recalcuate figures, Lexus and Acura seem to be in front of this honest change.
The TSX is getting the most updating, it should continue to sell well for them.

Old 08-01-05, 08:10 AM
Gojirra99
Super Moderator

Received 186 Likes on 127 Posts

Seems like they up the TSX hp to face the challenge of the IS250 , the more important & relevent torque figure still lags though . . .
Old 08-01-05, 08:18 AM
LexFather

Originally Posted by AmethySC
Seems like they up the TSX hp to face the challenge of the IS250 , the more important & relevent torque figure still lags though . . .
I was thinking that too, 1 more hp than the IS 250.

Old 08-01-05, 03:22 PM
Vladi
Pole Position

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Acura looses some ponies for 2006 but adds up some techno

Special thanks to C&D Forum buddy rl05alty

TSX
The TSX has built a strong following among sports sedan buyers, won a plethora of awards (including being twice named to Car & Driver’s 10Best Cars list) and gained a reputation for being both stylish and fun to drive. For 2006, Acura made some dynamic changes to the TSX to enhance its performance, make the styling even sportier and increase interior comfort. The result is a sports sedan that is more luxurious, more aggressive-looking and even more fun to drive.
Modifications to the intake and exhaust systems were made to the TSX’s 2.4-liter i-VTEC™ four cylinder engine to boost horsepower to 205 hp SAE net (Rev 8/04). Interior enhancements include an upgraded navigation system, the HandsFreeLink™ wireless telephone interface, and a digital media auxiliary jack located in the center console for iPod® and MP3 players to name a few.

Outside, the TSX gets sporty, redesigned front and rear fascias, new sidesills, redesigned alloy wheels and standard integrated fog lamps.

Powertrain

Horsepower increased to 205 SAE net (Rev 8/04) @ 7000 rpm
Torque increased to 164 lbs-ft. SAE net (Rev 8/04) @ 4500 rpm
Larger intake valves
Increased valve timing and lift
Increased intake and exhaust flow
Reduced engine pumping losses
Chassis

Electronic Brake Assist
Increased rigidity of upper A-arm reduces NVH
Exterior Styling

Restyled hood and grille
Redesigned headlights and combination taillights
Redesigned front and rear bumpers
Fog lamps are integrated into the lower bumper
More pronounced side sills
New nine-spoke alloy wheels
Flat wiper blades increase visibility and reduce wind noise
Four new exterior colors: Alabaster Silver Metallic replaces Satin Silver, Glacier Blue Metallic replaces Meteor Silver Metallic, and Deep Green Pearl, and Royal Blue Pearl are added
Interior

2-position memory for driver’s seat
Auxiliary audio jack in center console for digital music players
HandsFreeLink™ wireless telephone interface
Sports steering wheel
Multi-info display
New meter face
New wood-patterned trim for models with Parchment interior
Metallic garnish added to shift ****.
Smart Maintenance system
Enhanced Acura Navigation System (optional)
Larger buttons and fonts
Faster processing speed
Points of Interest (POI) database increased to 7 million
HandsFreeLink calling to POI
More voice recognition commands (653)
Zagat restaurant guide
Exit ramp services feature
Enhanced in-glass antennae for improved radio reception

RL
The dramatically redesigned RL went on sale last year as an all-new model featuring a 3.5-liter VTEC V-6 engine and the groundbreaking Super Handling All-Wheel Drive™ system. The increased performance, exciting new styling and an assortment of exciting interior features have pushed the RL to record sales in 2005. For 2006, Acura introduces an optional Technology Package for the RL, which adds three advanced new features:
Collision Mitigation Braking System (CMBS) - uses a grille-mounted radar unit, motorized seatbelt E-pretentioners on the driver’s and front passenger’s seats and an automatic braking system to monitor potential frontal collisions and help reduce the impact on occupants by alerting the driver, tensioning the seatbelts and slowing the vehicle.
Adaptive Cruise Control (ACC) – To compensate for changing traffic flow, ACC adjusts vehicle speed automatically by applying throttle and/or brake to maintain a consistent following distance.
Michelin PAX Run-Flat tires - helps provide enhanced safety and security with continuous mobility of up to 125 miles at up to 50 mph following a tire puncture.
New horsepower/torque ratings: 290 horsepower SAE net (Rev 8/04) at 6200 rpm, 256 lbs-ft torque SAE net (Rev 8/04) at 5000 rpm

TL
Since its groundbreaking redesign in 2004, the Acura TL has solidified its place as both the top selling Acura and best-selling luxury sedan in the country. The TL comes equipped with a 3.2-liter, VTEC V-6 engine, a drive-by-wire throttle system, and an available close-ratio 6-speed manual transmission with limited slip differential. For 2006, a Tire Pressure Monitoring System is added to the TL’s already long list of standard safety features as are two new exterior colors.

Tire Pressure Monitoring System (TPMS)
Revised engine management system and steering angle sensor logic help reduce torque steer
New Colors:
Royal Blue Pearl replaces Abyss Blue Pearl
Alabaster Silver Metallic replaces Satin Silver Metallic
Deep Green Pearl discontinued
New horsepower/torque ratings: 258 horsepower SAE net (Rev 8/04) at 6200 rpm, 233 lbs-ft. of torque SAE net (Rev 8/04) at 5000 rpm

MDX
The MDX continues to set the standard in the increasingly competitive luxury SUV segment. To maintain its leadership position, the 2006 MDX receives further refinements including stylish additions to the interior. Touring Package-equipped models now feature high quality ebony-colored Zebra wood pattern on the center console and door switches and refined satin chrome accents. 2006 enhancements include:
Ebony-colored Zebra wood-patterned trim on center console and door switch replaces Burl Wood-patterned trim on models equipped with Touring Package
Satin chrome replaces bright chrome interior accents on models equipped with Touring Package
New color: Amazon Green Metallic
New horsepower/torque ratings: 253 horsepower SAE net (Rev 8/04) @ 5800 rpm, 250 lbs-ft. of torque SAE net (Rev 8/04) at 3500 rpm

RSX
The RSX continues to set the trend in driving excitement and refinement. With its thrilling combination of performance, aggressive styling and luxury appointments, the RSX has won over performance enthusiasts, automotive critics and sport compact fanatics year after year. For 2006, the RSX maintains its dominance in the sports coupe segment with two distinct models, the race-inspired RSX and high performance RSX Type-S models.
New Color: Global Silver Metallic replaces Satin Silver Metallic
New horsepower/torque ratings:

RSX: 155 horsepower SAE net (Rev 8/04) @ 6500 rpm, 139 lbs-ft. of torque SAE net (Rev 8/04) @ 4000 rpm

RSX Type-S: 201 horsepower SAE net (Rev 8/04) @ 7800 rpm, 140 lbs-ft of torque SAE net (Rev 8/04) @ 7000 rpm
Old 08-02-05, 02:00 AM
biker
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by 1SICKLEX
I was thinking that too, 1 more hp than the IS 250.
And to make it really funny it will probably cost $1 less than the IS250.
Old 08-02-05, 08:35 AM
LexFather

Originally Posted by biker
And to make it really funny it will probably cost $1 less than the IS250.
LMAO!!!!!!

Old 08-12-05, 09:10 PM
TheRupp
Lexus Champion

Sorry to dig this one back up... but the lack of reverse-tilt mirrors on the TSX ==

Any pics of the revised facias?

As far as the number inflations go... Nissan is the culprit of this one. Nissan probably runs their cars through the dyno 100 times until they get the best hp result, and best torque result and take the 2 top numbers.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 2006 Acura changes