Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

2006 280hp 3.6L Passat: ES350 / TL competition?

Search this Thread

Old 07-22-05, 11:07 PM
jrock65
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2006 280hp 3.6L Passat: ES350 / TL competition?

http://media.vw.com/print_doc.cfm?article_id=9618

The Passat (non-W8) used to be more in the class of the Accord/Camry/Altima, but those specs seem more like the specs of an entry-level luxury car.

280hp/265 torque 3.6L mated with 6 speed auto
Bi-xenon headlights
12-way power seat
Park distance control
Premium audio system
Probably an interior that rivals or bests the interior of some luxury sedans
AWD option

Pricing is up there too. Word is that the 3.6 auto FWD starts at $30,500 and tops out at about $38,000.

So will the Passat be a legit contender to the 2007 ES350?
Old 07-23-05, 05:19 AM
LS4fun
Lexus Fanatic

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Its still a VW right?
Old 07-23-05, 11:18 AM
GFerg
Speaks French in Russian

Received 55 Likes on 43 Posts

Awwh man. And I thought the 280hp engine was standard(and damn it doesnt come out ttill next year). Instead a 4cylinder 200hp engine is. It will probably move the car pretty well considering it doesnt seem to be that much larger than the current one. And Dynaudio is not the first time used in a US car. Volvo been using it since 1999 on the upgraded surround sound systems. Passat really reminds me of the new Avalon(features that is)

They are adding a lot of stuff to ther vehicles this year. Lookin good.
Old 07-23-05, 11:18 AM
nthach
Lexus Champion

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

i think it will be, but there are a few things killing it:
1. It's still a VW.
2. VW reliablity isn't the greatest, but i think it's better than Mercedes or BMW...
3. VW will charge a good penny for it, and VW's dealer service isn't the same level as Lexus or Acura, at Lexus you get a free car wash and a free expresso and a courteous service advisor, at VW you get to use the vending machine and meet your service advisor at a counter rather than a office...
Old 07-23-05, 11:34 AM
foofighter
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by nthach
1. It's still a VW.
2. VW reliablity isn't the greatest, but i think it's better than Mercedes or BMW...
3. VW will charge a good penny for it, and VW's dealer service isn't the same level as Lexus or Acura, at Lexus you get a free car wash and a free expresso and a courteous service advisor, at VW you get to use the vending machine and meet your service advisor at a counter rather than a office...

OH soooo true. VW really needs to revamp that whole dealer/customer relationship. From the time the customer rolls up to the drive. The local VW/Audi Dealer i used to go to upgraded a lot, but that was only due to the fact that they had Audi clientel. They're supposed to seperate the dealerships independent Audi and VW dealership. So we'll see what VW does then.

As for reliability...well 1st year run problems holds so true w/ VW and Audi that I'm afraid that'll bite them in the ****. The passat looks promising and it has grown in size...much like the Camry's and Accords. The way VAG positions itself, the Passat is bigger than the A4 but smaller than the A6 and priced competitvely that you can get a fully loaded Passat for the price of a fully loaded A4. So the customer will have a choice in the line.

It's disappointing that a fully loaded A4 now runs nearly 38k and it's not a big car. The euro to USD has really hurt the european cars in terms of pricing and amount of wiggle room they have to negotiate.
Old 07-23-05, 06:00 PM
doug_999
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by nthach
1. It's still a VW.
1. Yep, the same company that makes the Phaeton. The car that Autoweek loves and claims that they have had better service than their Jag
2. Unfortunately not - it is below both of them.
3. See #1

Honestly, you sound just like a MB owner when the LS400 came out in 1989.
Old 07-23-05, 06:59 PM
LexFather

VW can continue to go upmarket, the 30-40k class is already FULL with tons of good and great cars. It stands no chance in hell, like the Phaeton.

VW, just bring us the POLO and the cheap cars, mmmmkay

Old 07-23-05, 07:32 PM
STIG
Lexus Test Driver

very impressive for Passat but i dont think it even come close to TL/ES350. I dont think TL/ES350 buyers would ever cross shop with Passat. Avalon, Maxima and Camry XLE, are more likely to be cross shopped with Passat.
Old 07-23-05, 08:29 PM
TRDFantasy
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by jrock65
http://media.vw.com/print_doc.cfm?article_id=9618

The Passat (non-W8) used to be more in the class of the Accord/Camry/Altima, but those specs seem more like the specs of an entry-level luxury car.

280hp/265 torque 3.6L mated with 6 speed auto
Bi-xenon headlights
12-way power seat
Park distance control
Premium audio system
Probably an interior that rivals or bests the interior of some luxury sedans
AWD option

Pricing is up there too. Word is that the 3.6 auto FWD starts at $30,500 and tops out at about $38,000.

So will the Passat be a legit contender to the 2007 ES350?
If you go down and look at the 2006 Touareg changes, that same 3.6L VR6 is actually listed as having Direct Injection.

So basically, the 3.6L VR6 is a DI engine, and yet it only makes 280HP/265 lb-ft torque? That's about as much as an Avalon, without DI ... the IS350 makes more, while most likely will get better fuel economy, and will be a more refined engine.

Am I the only one that's a little underwhelmed?

GM promises it's 3.6L DOHC V6 with DI will make 305HP, but that remains to be seen, as that engine is in development still, while Toyota is just months away from releasing the IS350.
Old 07-23-05, 10:55 PM
Faraaz23
Lexus Test Driver

I don't know if that many people are gonna pay 38,000 for something thats historically been a mid to upper 20k accord competitor. I believe the Passat W8 was around that much, and I can't say I saw too many of those at all. Specs sound great though. Anyone got pics?

Yea, magneto's right... the dynaudio has been used in Volvos since 99 or so...... (I have it... amazing sound system)
Old 07-24-05, 01:02 AM
foofighter
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by Faraaz23
I don't know if that many people are gonna pay 38,000 for something thats historically been a mid to upper 20k accord competitor. I believe the Passat W8 was around that much, and I can't say I saw too many of those at all. Specs sound great though. Anyone got pics?

Yea, magneto's right... the dynaudio has been used in Volvos since 99 or so...... (I have it... amazing sound system)
full article here...

http://www.vwvortex.com/artman/publi...cle_1203.shtml
Old 07-24-05, 09:48 AM
Faraaz23
Lexus Test Driver

I don't know if the US-Spec models will be like this, but I find it odd that wood trim is only available with beige interior, and aluminum trim is the only choice that comes with the other three colors.

Also, any car that has a base price this high should have standard alloy wheels in my opinion.

Does anyone know why VW/Audi has been putting the DSG tranny into so few models? The DSG is only available in the 2.0T and not the VR6.
Old 07-24-05, 12:57 PM
foofighter
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by Faraaz23
I don't know if the US-Spec models will be like this, but I find it odd that wood trim is only available with beige interior, and aluminum trim is the only choice that comes with the other three colors.

Also, any car that has a base price this high should have standard alloy wheels in my opinion.

Does anyone know why VW/Audi has been putting the DSG tranny into so few models? The DSG is only available in the 2.0T and not the VR6.

DSG is only available on the transverse engines for now. I believe the are working on the DSG for the longitudinal engines...that would make the torsen AWD system even more fun to drive!